How do you feel about AT&T sponsoring LTT at CTIA

mvitkun

I just wanted to know how everyone else felt about LTT being sponsored by AT&T -a North American Telecom which Linus has commented negatively on several times- at CTIA -a group of telecoms.

I mean usually Linus tried to pick somebody that 

A. Won't influence or appear to influence his opinion on products.

B. A company or group that he is fine with being influenced by because he personally thinks highly of their products or services.

However this time it is a company, which Linus has shown on multiple occasions, that he somewhat dislikes and that company is directly involved with what will be covered at the show.

I'm more or less fine with it as I'd like to think Linus has built up a sort of ethos -credibility- with his community and that we need to trust that on some level he takes care to provide content that expresses his honest opinion or an honest overview of a product.

In all likelihood AT&T reached out to @LinusTech to cover the show, and given the opportunity to cover tech Linus didn't want to turn the opportunity or the money down. 

Like I said above, I see no problem with this happening, I more or less trust Linus to produce content that expresses his (LTT's) thoughts on products and services which are covered by LTT.

As long as he doesn't take a sponsorship which prevents him from publishing content that speaks negatively of AT&T or positively of their competitors, which I doubt he'd do, I'm fine with this kind of sponsorship.

OUR LEADER HAS SPOKEN:

Really appreciate everyone's feedback in here so far, and I want to provide some clarifying information about the deal so that you don't feel like we've got anything to hide

The deal has the usual time-limited non-disparagement clause (end of September in this case). That DOESN'T mean on WAN show we can't report on something like AT&T's comments that 4Mbit is enough for broadband

We do need to cover some specific AT&T stuff at the show including the connected home and connected car showcases

We are not prevented in any way from covering OTHER stuff at the show

ATT has asked to review our videos before they go live to ensure the ATT messaging (thanking them at the beginning and end) is correct, which since we pre-recorded half of it (the pre-roll) it damn well better be.

Beyond the show, we have no plans to work with AT&T and if you guys prefer that we keep it that way, this thread is where to let your voice be heard.

Linus
Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I'm more concerned about it being a company with such a conservative hierarchy, though there's not much you can do about that. Money is money.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Eh Linus has been good so far. I've seen him sponsor a product and rip on it in the same video.

Better than Tek Syndicate. I like Logan and the group, but their ads rub me the way of radio talk show style "integrate the sponsorship so you almost don't know if it's an add or not".

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

You forgot an important choice.

I think there is the possibility that his opinions may be opressed by AT&T. It may not happen, but there is a chance.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I'm more concerned about it being a company with such a conservative hierarchy, though there's not much you can do about that. Money is money.

Starting and argument where one isn't needed again I see.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I think there is the possibility that his opinions may be opressed by AT&T. It may not happen, but there is a chance.

That'd be "I think Linus is selling out because troll."

The because troll part isn't meant as "because i'm trolling," but rather as a "because Linus is going to troll us."

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

Actually you're starting an argument.

DO NOT PERSECUTE ANYBODY FOR HAVING DIFFERENT VIEWS INSIDE OF THIS THREAD.

Linus Sebastian said:

Actually you're starting an argument.

2772c_47624dd8-c2ca-43f1-9813-3e5752524d

This fight intervention is brought to you by Verizon Wireless.

Verizion wireless. We think unlimited has a number. And it's 5.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

@Syntaxvgm

It'd be so awesome if LTT had a different Telecom sponsoring them at CTIA for every video.

Five is only infinitely less than unlimited, that's close enough.

Linus Sebastian said:

We think unlimited has a number. And it's 5.

0fa7fda4dd.jpg

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

2772c_47624dd8-c2ca-43f1-9813-3e5752524d

This fight intervention is brought to you by Verizon Wireless.

Verizion wireless. We think unlimited has a number. And it's 5.

This intervention intervention has been brought to you by Sprint: The power of "We tried to buy T-Mobile until the floppy government got in the way, so we will go back to providing mediocre service as the only other US carrier that offers truly unlimited data."

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

0fa7fda4dd.jpg

wut

muh specs 

All parts black

No, that would be you. I made a comment. It would have been my last post in this thread had you not replied. Nevertheless, you will inevitably start an argument.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

wut

I need an army of funny Logan and Linus images with different stuff on them, like "U wot m8" or "NO".

This intervention intervention has been brought to you by Sprint: The power of "We tried to buy T-Mobile until the floppy government got in the way, so we will go back to providing mediocre service as the only other US carrier that offers truly unlimited data."

Sprint

If we ran a buffet, we'd force you to use gradually smaller plates the more you ate until you were forced to eat soup from a thimble.

muh specs 

All parts black

No, that would be you. I made a comment. It would have been my last post in this thread had you not replied. Nevertheless, you will inevitably start an argument.

So far It's gone pretty well actually, Political comments tend to start arguments dontcha know.

Sprint

If we ran a buffet, we'd force you to use gradually smaller plates the more you ate until you were forced to eat soup from a thimble.

SOUP SHOTS

This intervention convention has been brought to you by Sprint: The power of "We tried to buy T-Mobile until the floppy government got in the way, so we will go back to providing mediocre service as the only other US carrier that offers truly unlimited data."

Sprint: One small step for man, one giant leap that never happened for mankind.

and you typo'd I think you meant intervention convention.

Linus Sebastian said:

So far It's gone pretty well actually, Political comments tend to start arguments dontcha know.

Comments are what YOU, THE READER, make of them. If you want to start an argument off a single comment, you're heading the right way, my friend.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I don't trust ATT. This isn't right. Linus may be stopped from speaking anything that goes against AT&T, even if it is important. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

There seem to be more people that misunderstood option 3 so I changed it to 

I think Linus is selling out and will be prevented from speaking negatively towards AT&T products and services. WHY LINUS WHY?

Linus Sebastian said:

Comments are what YOU, THE READER, make of them. If you want to start an argument off a single comment, you're heading the right way, my friend.

Comments are in the eye of the beholder.

So what you're telling me is, you can say you hate obama, which means Bill Clinton was the best president of all time?

nuh uh, the true meaning of the post/comment is determined by the poster.

And maybe next time we should argue over PM as not to piss off other forum members lol.

I don't trust ATT. This isn't right. Linus may be stopped from speaking anything that goes against AT&T, even if it is important.

AT&T Executive assassinates Prime Minister Harper via sniper.

Linus-Well, if anything, this speaks to their great coverage.

muh specs 

All parts black

So what you're telling me is, you can say you hate obama, which means Bill Clinton was the best president of all time?

No, not at all.

Also, given that you're only 15 and perhaps can yet be saved, I suggest you think critically about your political views and reevaluate your positions from an objective standpoint using data.

The proletariat shall rise again.

Builder out.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

And maybe next time we should argue over PM as not to piss off other forum members lol.

Wow, that was fast.

It only took 500 ruined threads to reach that conclusion.

5qiq5u.jpg

Linus Sebastian said: