Chat logs show how 4chan users created #GamerGate controversy

Ethnod

Funny how 4Chan has both the best and some of the worst of the internet. From time to time there are little gems of action taken when the right people get together, was that the case this time? I suppose that is down to people’s opinion. Personally I am of the mind-set that as a result of this there has been a lot of discussion and some of it good, a lot of it bad but some good. At least people are looking at the subject of Gaming Journalism which can only be good in the long run. When the dark side of people is shown in such venom it does not make me happy or help to keep my faith in humanity but if we learn from all this I suppose we can look at the bright side and all that

For anyone who has not seen this, Cynical Brits Gaming Journalism as an example of the discussion happening

Source:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/09/new-chat-logs-show-how-4chan-users-pushed-gamergate-into-the-national-spotlight/

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

This has been around twitter for months tho.....

(i know 4chan made it popular tho)

Actually, I believed the term came from Adam Baldwin, 4chan just picked it up and went with it.

a6cdc42657.png

why the hell do people care about game journalism rofl

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Because they have have influence

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

But yeah, I think TB made some very good points in that video. Trying to silence critique isn't good for anybody, and it applies equally to people who send threats to feminists over Twitter, as well as journalists who write articles generalizing everybody who disagrees with them as misogynists. 

We'll see if this actually holds true, but it does seem that some good has come from this:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Escapist-Destructoid-Update-Their-Policies-Ethics-Light-GamerGate-67219.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

totalbiscuit just rekt everyone lol.

TB for world overlord.

i wouldn't mind that, i trust him more than half of our presidents.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

4chan has been excellent here, this isn't something people should just sit back and ignore, this is something that needs questioning and interrogating, otherwise gaming journalism is going to get worse and worse, as will the industry, as will our video games.

This has been around twitter for months tho.....

(i know 4chan made it popular tho)

Yes, and 4chan started it months ago.

twitter is just a giant shoutbox so everything becomes a controversy in 140 characters or less when everyone talks in snippets at once.

Adam Baldwin created the hastag, but 4chan/banned reddit users started the outrage on twitter.    They just didn't plan it on an IRC chat channel.  Being mad doesn't take that much coordination.

I'm really quite confused, most of all, that nobody noticed just how terrible and useless all the "news" on these sites was up until now.  Am I really the only one?  I can't be.  I stopped reading them years ago.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."