iPhone 6 - Live Stream and All Updates (FINALLY FORMATTED(ish))

I think it was silly for apple to be selling 3 separate resolutions at once. Fragmentation isn't great.

I am aware of the numbers (200-250$) you are referring to, but these are really only the material and assembly costs.

There is so much happening before and after the production line.

Take a look at Apples financial statement. 62% makes up the cost of revenue. That doesn't include any profit, selling expenses, r&d, service and support (!).

The operating margin is about 29%. If we take the cheapest iPhone (margin is lowest) the operating cost for that are $649 * 71% = $460

So yes, if they would sell it at a price of $400 they would make a loss.

After taxes they have a profit margin of about 21%

-> $136 profit for selling a $649 device. This arguably is still a lot, though comparable to other companies in the tech branch.

True but remember that R&D it's not a constant expense. After X number of units that investment it's covered and the rest goes directly to their pockets, their 600+ billion pockets.

A popular device like a new iPhone, even a crappy iteration will quickly make back that R&D you guys love to bring up. After all its said and done it amount to maybe pennies per unit

-------

Current Rig

-------

True but remember that R&D it's not a constant expense. After X number of units that investment it's covered and the rest goes directly to their pockets, their 600+ billion pockets.

A popular device like a new iPhone, even a crappy iteration will quickly make back that R&D you guys love to bring up. After all its said and done it amount to maybe pennies per unit

omg, have you even read what I wrote?!

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Where are they getting those fantasy prices from? 

4kp07Z9.png

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

carrier contract. It is a common thing in the US for the carrier to subsidize the cost of the phone for you and you pay it off with your monthly bill. the non-subsidized prices start at $650 like they normally have

Despite being an Android enthusiast and more often than not biased, I would actually give the iPhone 6 or 6+ a shot. It looks much better now and also has a pretty good camera along with a battery that should based on the information provided, pretty much beat every phone out of the water. 

PC in Profile

carrier contract. It is a common thing in the US for the carrier to subsidize the cost of the phone for you and you pay it off with your monthly bill. the non-subsidized prices start at $650 like they normally have

Isn't posting contract prices pointless? Each carrier can have different packages with different pricing for the phones.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Honestly i think how the 5s was shaped looks better than the realllyyyy rounded shape of the 6...

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

Isn't posting contract prices pointless? Each carrier can have different packages with different pricing for the phones.

Not exactly since all the carriers here have the same pricing for the phone. Apple also goes out and makes contracts or deals with those carriers to have the pricing set in stone. The only difference is how much data you get etc with each carrier

Not exactly since all the carriers here have the same pricing for the phone. Apple also goes out and makes contracts or deals with those carriers to have the pricing set in stone. The only difference is how much data you get etc with each carrier

2 carriers, 7 different prices.

http://www.telekom.si/zasebni-uporabniki/mobiteli-in-naprave/mobiteli/apple-iphone-5s-16gb

http://www.simobil.si/telefoni/iphone-5s-16gb-zlata

US != the world.

Spoiler

seriously, why doesn't the 4.7 version have OIS!?

my tiny right hand can't even hold the 5.5 version.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

seriously, why doesn't the 4.7 version have OIS!?

my tiny right hand can't even hold the 5.5 version.

Artificial segmentation, nothing more or less. 

Otherwise the 5.5 and 4.7 would be identical to a T, and I wager most people would go for the 4.7" model. The 5.5" one has additional margins on it for little increased RD, so its a bigger cash cow. 

Plus, Apple knows people like having the latest and greatest. They need that "penis enhancing" feature. We're all guilty of it. Apple just markets and exploits that the best. 

So now that it's over, did they announce anything that isn't already on the market from their competitors?

not really

*Clears throat*

1. It has no removable battery to allow for increased thinness, and the seamless back- otherwise there'd be a hap between the plate and the sides.

2. No, but the Lightning cable is reversible and tough. Of course wireless charging is much better than Micro-USB

3. Again, no, but (coming from hands-on impressions), the speaker is much louder and fuller, and is physically larger- the grill holes take up more space, so your fingers won't cover them as easily

4. Ok, only really two big phones right now are waterproof. Also, the iPhone can take a spill. I've dropped my 4S in numerous puddles, as has my dad (with a 5S), and it's not like if it gets a drop, it's immediately going to have water damage.

5. True. However, 4K image recording on phones such as the S5 isn't great- sure, it's 4K, but it's noisy, has bad stabilization, and is compressed to all hell.

6. iOS's equivalent apps, compared to Android, are typically higher-quality, as they all use the same standards (gasp!), so they all feel similar, and they all work well.

7. Yes. You got me on that one. But it now goes 16-64-128, as opposed to 16-32-64.

8. Aside from Samsung (which, by the way, isn't one-sided), Apple has kind of chilled out with the lawsuits. And (gasp again), many of their points are valid.

9. Compared to what? The 5S is as much, if not more off-contract, and is also $200 on-contract (aside from some deals). You can't say 'A Nexus 5 is $299!' because it's a phone of a completely different caliber.

10. When you just use iOS, you don't need side loading, rooting, custom ROMs and tweaks, because it works fine on its own. And iTunes has gotten better. Plus, you don't even need iTunes to use it. Of course, clean restores and such you do need it for, but iPhones have been (technically) independent from iTunes since iOS 5.

Both sides have their strengths and weaknesses, and I'm simply pointing out that those points aren't all 100% finalized facts.

id take removeable battery of a mil or 2 of thinness

wireless charging.....meh

front speakers would be nice but i can live without it

waterproof is a big deal both from a care standpoint and the "lets watch tv in the shower" stand point

no but 4k downsamled to 1080p should look better then straight up 1080p

64gb or 16/32gb AND a 64/128gb sd card.....ill take the latter

in the uk you can get phones like the g3 and the s5 on contract miles cheaper than the 6 will be my guess 6+ 64gb £100-150 on a £45 2 year deal g3 is free on a £30 a month contract

Resolutions work differently on iOS. 

And this is why we can't talk to you about technical points beyond ghz and GB -- because you don't understand it and you refuse to.

This is what I mean. Please research it yourself. I honestly don't have time to teach it to you personally.

that first comment made me smile its the new fanboy comment

point just a different unit of measurement and are like the virtual sceen size used in app development and web development they dont make a display any more or less better than a rivel...its like saying phone a is better than phone b because phone a is in inches and phone b is in CM

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

It was a decent stream. The products look quite solid if not groundbreaking, which was what we were all expecting if we're honest. I kind of like the idea of the dial for the iWatch but the design hasn't sold me on it. Same with the iPhone. It's almost as though it's too thin and too uniformly curved (just musings).

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

German off-contract prices as of today:

Galaxy S5 (16GB) - 479.90€ (~ $620): http://geizhals.de/samsung-galaxy-s5-g900f-16gb-schwarz-a1075683.html

LG G3 (16GB) - 415.00€ (~ $536): http://geizhals.de/lg-electronics-g3-d855-16gb-schwarz-a1120388.html

HTC One M8 (16GB) - 478.80€ (~ $618): http://geizhals.de/htc-one-m8-16gb-grau-a1090939.html

iPone 6 (16GB) - 699.00€ (~ $902): http://store.apple.com/de/buy-iphone/iphone6

If the base model had 32GB and sold at no more than 599€, then I may have considered it.

Those prices in € already include our lovely 19% sales tax.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

So, by making the iPhone bigger, Apple just invalidated the only physical reason why an iPhone should ever be purchased [small size]. How smart.

Brings absolutely nothing to the table, outdated and overpriced as usual. Not surprised.

Because it IS wrong...

Tell me more how you use 64-bit on your phone.

Tell me more about how you use 32-bit. You don't objectively notice differences in functionality with 64-bit, the whole system does run faster with larger integers and data paths and types.

To all the people telling me I don't know what 64-bit is, shut up. I know more about it than Linus does, and probably you as well, though I can't be as sure.

also, the tap communication feature is kinda gimmicky unless you know Morse code

It's not Morse code. It's just haptics, your mind will associate a different tap sequence to a different notification.

Oh, and @LAwLz, what they released yesterday that their competitors don't have are good products. BOOM

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Because all the shit I quoted above you, while unproductive and useless, is fun for the people who post it. Completely predictable, I realize, but it's still fun for them.

"Hey Android users, when are you going to get 64-bit? Two years from now? What about custom graphics APIs?"

Ugh. I just can't do it. It just feels wrong.

Well, I can:

"Thank you Android users for beta testing iOS features."

Wait a minute... that sounds awfully familiar, doesn't it?

Frankly, I am facepalming over the fact that we are arguing over petty cell phones.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Frankly, I am facepalming over the fact that we are arguing over petty cell phones.

Some people need to validate their self worth by hating anything, its kinda amusing really. 

You have decent conversation discussing the merits of the device and out of no where you get unwarranted, fanboy level attack posts. This isn't this thread alone, its just any thread. 

Like I said before, its easier to take potshots and make crap posts with no critical thought than it is to TRY and engage in proper debate and discussion. 

As an Apple lover i can't deny this picture and im fucking disappointed in last night's keynote.

Edit: why the fuck does the iPhone come in 16gb? srsly?

10593209_10152687441653166_1082549954450

As an Apple lover i can't deny this picture and im fucking disappointed in last night's keynote.

10593209_10152687441653166_1082549954450

Meh, I'm not switching from HTC to Iphone but I don't like these pictures. They make comparisons as if they are equal, gloss over anything that apple might have actually done well (like idk making a whole environment for NFC payments or the pretty dang powerful M8 chip), and only serve to bolster the egos of children who value their internet cred in how much they can hate on Apple.

Pro Tip: You people who bash Apple at every turn for the sake of internet points or loyalty to Google or whomever come off as complete tools.

"Thank you Android users for beta testing iOS features."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

As an Apple lover

You say that as if it validates your position, and thus the photo, when in reality it does neither and only serves to mark you as someone that doesn't understand why that picture doesn't make sense.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

To all the people telling me I don't know what 64-bit is, shut up. I know more about it than Linus does, and probably you as well, though I can't be as sure.

Dude. That's fucking childish. 'Trust me i know more'. 64 bit is a necessary step for both android and apple. It has benefits. Lawlz made a brilliant post on it, which he linked in this thread a few posts ago. Thats all there is to it.

Meh, I'm not switching from HTC to Iphone but I don't like these pictures. They make comparisons as if they are equal, gloss over anything that apple might have actually done well (like idk making a whole environment for NFC payments or the pretty dang powerful M8 chip), and only serve to bolster the egos of children who value their internet cred in how much they can hate on Apple.

Pro Tip: You people who bash Apple at every turn for the sake of internet points or loyalty to Google or whomever come off as complete tools.

Google wallet. M8 chip is useful but is going to be rendered redundant by wearables.

The new iPhones just seem bland to me. iWatch looks terrible, just as bad as the samsung equivalents. This was a mediocre event with mediocre products. That's all there is to it.

The image is there to give context to apple's improvements - its stuff that could and should have been there two years ago, but because apple didn't catch on quick enough or was saving features or didn't want to optimise or whatever, its coming late. In a tech world where boundaries can be pushed constantly, apple havn't pushed any boundaries since the first iphone.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.