Are you protecting your house against burglars?

LarsReviews

If he ignores orders when facing a firearm, he's an idiot. If we're dealing with that level of idiot, I'd feel much more comfortable at a distance with a firearm than in his range with a baseball bat. Whether shots are fired depends on the situation as it happens; can't really armchair that.

What if he's an idiot? Does his being an idiot justify shooting him? "Whether shots are fired depends on the situation as it happens" my point is that it shouldn't be possible for anyone to fire on anybody else unless they are part of the police force and are forced to do so in order to save multiple lives. Your having a firearm makes it possible for you to kill a person out of panic. If you have a baseball bat and he's unarmed, getting in "range" isn't a problem. A decent hit from a bat can knock you out easily and if you try to parry it you get your arms hurt or even broken depending on the strength of the blow and are in no condition to keep fighting it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Nope you're defending your property and possibly your family. The burglar wouldn't be in that situation if he wasn't committing illegal acts in the first place and his well being is not my problem.

Sure, let's shoot people for stealing. Nice mindset. Next time you do something illegal like parking on the pavement remind me to shoot you in the face. Defending your family requires no more than a baseball bat. Besides, a burglar will just run for it as soon as he's noticed 9 times out of 10.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What if he's an idiot? Does his being an idiot justify shooting him? "Whether shots are fired depends on the situation as it happens" my point is that it shouldn't be possible for anyone to fire on anybody else unless they are part of the police force and are forced to do so in order to save multiple lives. Your having a firearm makes it possible for you to kill a person out of panic. If you have a baseball bat and he's unarmed, getting in "range" isn't a problem. A decent hit from a bat can knock you out easily and if you try to parry it you get your arms hurt or even broken depending on the strength of the blow and are in no condition to keep fighting it.

Continuing to commit the crime after ordering him to stop justifies shooting him. I wouldn't want to shoot, but what else do you expect me to do? Help him carry all my shit away? Call the police and wait for 40 minutes? Charge him with a bat? What if there's more than one burglar? What if I'm physically weak? What if the burglar is strong? What if the burglar intends to do more than steal? This is why I say you can't armchair the situation.

Sure, let's shoot people for stealing. Nice mindset. Next time you do something illegal like parking on the pavement remind me to shoot you in the face. Defending your family requires no more than a baseball bat. Besides, a burglar will just run for it as soon as he's noticed 9 times out of 10.

You ignored the "defending property and family" part, didn't you? That's the sole difference here. But I'm glad you agree I won't have to shoot someone because the gun will scare him off.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

After my apartment got robbed, we got serious about house security. We complained enough to the apartment manager for him to put bars on every tenant's window who lived on the first floor. We then replaced our lock and put in an alarm system as well.

Edit : By the way, this is in a relatively wealthy and safe neighbourhood. House security is important no matter where you live.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

We USED to have a security system. Now we're defenseless, not even a single weapon. And we had a robbery twice. The first time, he took off with my computer:(. The second time he stole only AN EAR OF CORN. And I live on the south side of town.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

The house's design keeps them out...

There are also some blunt weapons lying around just in case...

Not needed here.

Fast responding police would take care of shit.

602325_10203241176336074_678947754_n.jpg

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

We had a break in like 20 years ago or so. After that every single window on the house has steel bars, the backyard is actually walled in on all direction by 2 store height walls and basically the only way out of the house is the front: This house is so theft proof it's basically a massive fire hazard.

-------

Current Rig

-------

As others do and have mentioned, I live in Canada. Pretty safe where I live in Ontario. I don't live in a very fancy neighbourhood and it would likely not be the target of crime. My PC is literally the most expensive single item (that's possible for thieves to take) in our house (vehicles are more, but not IN our house). No alarm system, no fancy locks (just your average door deadbolt), no dogs, no weapons (other than knives of course), not much in the way of security at all really. 

I live in a rural area, where everyone knows everyone else has guns... so no one is dumb enough to try and break in. As for the city 20 miles away where guns are uncommon, break ins are pretty common. Even the nicer neighborhood my parents live in had some issues a few years ago, during mid-day people would literally run thru the front door and head straight for the back door and just grab anything they could along the way. It abruptly stopped when a homeowner shot at (and didn't hit) someone who was just out the back door and it made the news.

I'm a gun enthusiast, but they are nowhere near in reach if someone was to break in, I'm in it for the hobby and sporting purposes. Its just a benefit that if someone was scoping out my house there are subtle signs that I likely own a gun or two and to not try. I am careful to hide them when transporting them (pull the vehicle in the garage and load them up, etc.) as I'd likely become a prime target if they knew exactly what all I had lol.

On top of that I have a quite large yard light on a photosensor, so there are few shadows to sneak around in. I'm working on putting up a few security cameras as well, but that is mainly to see which dog was the one chewing on something haha. As for locks... front door is locked most of the time, but I'm not sure if the backdoor has ever been locked. 

Oh, and a pair of adorably cute vicious attack corgis.  :D

So your grandma with a baseball bat would be adequate protection against an unarmed 30 year old? 

Not everyone is fit enough to defend a home with a bat, but nearly everyone can be PROPERLY trained to use (and know the right time to use) a firearm.

I dunno about you, but I'm a fit 24 year old, a bit on the tall and lanky side, but I wouldn't bum rush the "stereotypical thief" even if I had a a bat as he could likely overpower me. A bat doesn't do much damage in a hallway when you are scared shitless. Hell even in an open room I don't think it would either, its not like the movies where one swing and he is down. The second he gets his hand on the bat you have no leverage against him to swing, and if he gets ahold of it he now has a weapon to use against the guy who just royally pissed him off.

If you really want to argue against a firearm, I do understand people don't like them, so get a taser or something. A bat isn't a very good defense tool for many people.

yeah I have 6 cameras around my property and a silent alarm, also we have gun in every room plus 2 attack dogs (English Mastiffs). We are always concerned about security here at my house because they are always break ins in my area.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

I'm sure I'll be fine. I own a Neapolitan Mastiff and a few small arms.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Not needed here.

Fast responding police would take care of shit.

602325_10203241176336074_678947754_n.jpg

Corruption at its finest.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Australia, I live in a fairly safe neighborhood, although across the other side of the river is pretty dodgy. Dogs are great security system, there is an alarm but it has no sensors (derp) and automatic lights. failing that the doors have solid locks and there are plenty of blunt instruments in the house.

Corruption at its finest.

Nah, just lots of tourism, oil and real state. 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

Nope. We almost never lock our doors (open doors for everybody! Yay!), we have no security systems, no dogs, no weapons (except few knives here and there, plus an air gun, unloaded ofc.), nothing. And no-one breaks in. The only time someone broke into our house was when my father was still alive, he came in and "loaned" some money that was in the "hidden" stash... This is a poor municipality, not much of a town, more like a village. Still though, break-ins are really rare.

And if someone broke in... What'd you expect us to do? We can't physically harm for self-defense, only less harm than the offender has already done to you. For instance: someone breaks in, steals stuff and hits you few times, but doesn't cause any injuries. And then if you were to hit that guy for example in the face, and broke the offender's nose even just a little bit, you'd bet a bigger sentence than the offender. So... Yeah... Can't do shit other than call 112 and wait for at least 20 minutes for police to arrive... Unless the offender doesn't know much about laws, so he can't use these ridiculous laws against the actual victims.

Good that criminality in Finland is low. Though, the nearest city (and the biggest town in this region), Lahti, apparently has the most criminality in Finland. It's even nicknamed "Chicago of Finland" by some...

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

If you have one of these, you're on the same level as an armed burglar. You're willing to kill for personal interest.

Lol, no. You don't know how to use a weapon if that's what you think.

A guy in Germany got sued for hitting a burglar. It was in the news like a year ago. Still, I would hit them with a Maglite. 

This is why you're taught to shoot to kill in my country. There have been some cases where a home owner injured a filthy burglar and then got sued. The sad thing was, the burglar actually won, talk about pathetic laws to harm the innocent being victimized. If someone broke into my house, they're not making it out alive.

This is why you're taught to shoot to kill in my country. There have been some cases where a home owner injured a filthy burglar and then got sued. The sad thing was, the burglar actually won, talk about pathetic laws to harm the innocent being victimized. If someone broke into my house, they're not making it out alive.

Killing vs injuring isn't the argument though, if he'd been killed then a wrongful death suit would have been substituted for battery/negligence. THe problem is the bleeding heart judges who let this crap go to court. 

In my country, illegality is a 99% defence to tortious actions (very very few exceptions). 

Shooting intruders is very very risky, it is a fine line between self defence and murder. It's the whole Pistorius case in RSA, doesn't matter if he thought the victim was a burglar or his gf, the victim had locked themselves in a bathroom while the offender wielded a gun. Victim was retreating = no self defence. 

Killing vs injuring isn't the argument though, if he'd been killed then a wrongful death suit would have been substituted for battery/negligence. THe problem is the bleeding heart judges who let this crap go to court. 

In my country, illegality is a 99% defence to tortious actions (very very few exceptions). 

Shooting intruders is very very risky, it is a fine line between self defence and murder. It's the whole Pistorius case in RSA, doesn't matter if he thought the victim was a burglar or his gf, the victim had locked themselves in a bathroom while the offender wielded a gun. Victim was retreating = no self defence. 

Regardless of laws and countries, strange people should GTFO out your home if they wish to remain alive or not placed behind bars. Bleeding heart judges punishing victims who were violated when they got broken into are disgusting and need to be fired.

Yes, we had so many houses get burglarized in our area, so we got a security system that is silent and will call all mobile phones. To add to that we got treble glass windows, that have a thicker glas on the outside. Also they are protected against being opened with a pry bar, because of the way how they lock into the frame. 

All doors have multiple bolts and our front door locks itself. And for additional protection our house is fenced in, but we leave the gate open all the time. 

Just 3 weeks ago, another neighbor got a gate for his driveway. Kind of sad that this measures have to be taken in Germany. When I still lived in Michigan, we left our front door or garage unlocked all the time, everyone there did. 

how da fuq are you getting burglarized in Germany?  Isn't everyone employed and making good money?

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...