Out in the Open: Hackers Build a Skype That's Not Controlled by Microsoft

Builder

http://www.wired.com/2014/09/tox/

Good for you, 4chan, good for you. I'm going to have to give this a try ;)

The web forum 4chan is known mostly as a place to share juvenile and, to put it mildly, politically incorrect images. But it’s also the birthplace of one of the latest attempts to subvert the NSA’s mass surveillance program.

When whistleblower Edward Snowden revealed that full extent of the NSA’s activities last year, members of the site’s tech forum started talking about the need for a more secure alternative to Skype. Soon, they’d opened a chat room to discuss the project and created an account on the code hosting and collaboration site GitHub and began uploading code.

Eventually, they settled on the name Tox, and you can already download prototypes of the surprisingly easy-to-use tool. The tool is part of a widespread effort to create secure online communication tools that are controlled not only by any one company, but by the world at large—a continued reaction to the Snowden revelations. This includes everything from instant messaging tools to email services.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Its worth a look at least. If only to get away from Skype, my experience there is horrible

~Judah

tox has been dead for months now.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

TOX..... seems like they just took TOR and changed the R to an X...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I might try this with a friend when skype goes even more downhill

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

TOX..... seems like they just took TOR and changed the R to an X...

...that's the point.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

I probably can't get my friends to leave skype so i'll probably just keep using skype.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

my ID is B9177E581C222C116C10112BB8FA07BD33F6857F364B5B9F7A24B28A70800A393BF8534034F2 if anyone wants to add me

So uh where can I download this?

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Don't know how this is related to Skype. It's just another online messaging service, it's never gonna go anywhere.

With that attitude, you're right ;)

It's a privacy-oriented alternative to Skype. A philosophical replacement, if you will.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

So uh where can I download this?

http://tox.im

Willing to bet some of the people who helped developed this are in the NSA. Would not be surprising at all, that way they don't need to hack into it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This is actually pretty easy to use. I'm excited to see where it goes.

Willing to bet some of the people who helped developed this are in the NSA. Would not be surprising at all, that way they don't need to hack into it.

Code review will catch anything obvious. Things that slip through the cracks will be relatively obscure.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

my ID is B9177E581C222C116C10112BB8FA07BD33F6857F364B5B9F7A24B28A70800A393B if anyone wants to add me

that ID is a bit too short

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

This is actually pretty easy to use. I'm excited to see where it goes.

Code review will catch anything obvious. Things that slip through the cracks will be relatively obscure.

also they are trying very hard to stay under 100k lines of code

reviewing code wont be hard as other software

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

that ID is a bit too short

B9177E581C222C116C10112BB8FA07BD33F6857F364B5B9F7A24B28A70800A393BF8534034F2

Ill play with it for a week or two. It looks like a great idea, and the UI is very nice and clean.

If i like it ill setup a dedicated node.

~Judah

It's a shame that MS bought Skype. It was originally developed by a group of Estonians.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

7B36447CF7F7FF0CA9D2A802775FD53531BC05C3221577275A1C5CEE01E6121740F38FEC2F5A

Hit me up i guess

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Wow I guess I started something.

Sweet.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Interesting. I don't like the way skype is right now. This sounds pretty excellent, however I doubt I could convince any of my friends to switch over.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

You'd have to be lying to yourself if you can say with a straight face you trust MS owned Skype more than 4chan. While 4chan's user base can destroy something, it can also protect anything it finds sacred and pissing off the NSA is just one of those things. If this supports proper voice and video chat, I'm down.