Possible Skype Alternative: Tox

So I was thinking today... What if we had a decent program that was completely anonymous and did everything Skype does? Afterall, Skype is just generally a giant pile of garbage nowadays... What if there was a program that didn't connect to any servers, so it makes it harder for The - *cough* NSA *cough* - Man to force the company(s) to let them watch what us average Joe's are doing?

After a little bit of searching around, I found this!

It looks pretty damn good to me but it's still in development I think. It looks pretty confusing to install too.

Anyone use this program? Is it any good? Is it worth installing and using as opposed to Skype?

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

I think i saw this awhile ago it was one of those things when everyone was making things to hide from the nsa like instant message apps saying they will be free from the nsa etc the bad thing about it not connecting to any servers is it chews up bandwidth for the people in terrible countries like me where we still have bandwidth caps.

Can you use it to chat with people who are not using "Tox"? If not, it's useless for me, none of my contacts will switch to that, and I really CBA to have yet another application to check.

I think that some people overreact with all the NSA stuff. I couldn't care less if someone can read my private conversations with my friends and family, it's not as if they were going to post embarassing secrets on Facebook or anything like that. It concerns me for other things that are more personal/private .. but Skype .. not enough to justify yet another program that nobody but me is going to use. :P

• 3 months later...

Interesting, but if no one else I know uses it there is no reason for me to.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)