AMD possibility of 5 way crossfire

dieharddddd

“The new X99 [platform] seems to have the ability to run 5 GPUs are there any plans by card makers to enable 5-Way GPU support ?”

Where are they getting this from? No X99 board can take more than 4 gpu's. Like theyre capable of making single 300W slot cards with their reference cooler >.>

“The new X99 [platform] seems to have the ability to run 5 GPUs are there any plans by card makers to enable 5-Way GPU support ?”

Where are they getting this from? No X99 board can take more than 4 gpu's. Like theyre capable of making single 300W slot cards with their reference cooler >.>

Ofcourse, pcie extensions.

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

well... mbs with 10 slot width? nvm 2xR9 295x2 + R9 290x hybrid xfire =toast /jk

Plus save money by not getting a stove!  Bacon and eggs done in a minute! :D

Ofcourse, pcie extensions.

Still won't work on a rampage v extreme. When the black slot is used the one above it gets disabled and vice versa

5way sli or crossfire would be totaly pointless.

There a no drivers for it, which support that. (so it will not work in the first place!)

Also the scaling must be horrible.

I cannot think about any consumer grade cpu, which would be capable to drive upto 5 highend gpu´s.

Everything beyond dual highend gpu setups, is allready suffering from bottlenecks.

Even Haswell -E does not chance that.

Its just overated pointless bullshit :D

I will only ever use 1 graphics card at a time. Why? I'm just against multi-GPU systems unless they're for workstation use. Why? Idk.

2 R9 295 + A10 ultimate gaming setup

Won't the A10's CPU bottleneck 295?

Mining power :-D

My PC Specs is:
i7 3930k @ 4.1ghz, 16gb 2133mhz rams running at around 2000mhz, 256gb ocz agillity3 ssd x2 raid 0 stripe 128kb, EVGA GTX 780 3GB GDDR5 SLI, ocz 1250w psu, asus p9x79deluxe motherboard, Cooler H100i
Windows 8 x64 PRO

Still won't work on a rampage v extreme. When the black slot is used the one above it gets disabled and vice versa

Asus x99 WS

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

Asus x99 WS

Aye http://images.anandtech.com/doci/7613/Chipset%20Diagram_575px.png (isn't any different for the x99 ws)

The WS boards are the only boards that are capable of running more than 4 cards. Anyways they aren't requiring you to run 5 cards but something like a 295x2 and 3 290x's or just two 295x2 and 1 290x or even perhaps 3x 295x2 (3rd one will have one gpu disabled) would work out on a RVE. You don't necessarly need a WS board, but Asus was planning to bring a single slot 295x2 out as ares 3. Why not just do 6 way instead?

Just two 295x2 in crossfire can manage to pull 1230W without any proper load on the CPU, imagine a 3rd 295x2 and a 5960x at 4.5GHz (can pull 350W alone in prime95) you'd be needing atleast 2 AX1500i's for a worst case scenario. You'd prefer to have such a system in your basement and 30m DP/USB/Audio cables in the summer. 

Everything beyond dual highend gpu setups, is allready suffering from bottlenecks.

This.

I agree with what you said but most reviews who tested 4way SLI/CF weren't even mentioning anything about being cpu bottlenecked or not - theyve been mainly telling us that is scales crap. 

Skyrim_3840x2160_OFPS.png

Between 10 & 30secs it was scaling nicely but after 30secs you notice the CPU bottleneck was kicking in rofl. In my testing when you usually have a cpu bottleneck, youre having a lil bit better performance with a single card than two. You can see lots of them here: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Radeon-R9-295X2-CrossFire-4K-Quad-Hawaii-GPU-Powerhouse/Test-Setup

In BF4, Crysis 3 there was nearly a 100% gain but in Metro there was complety no difference (perhaps cpu bottleneck). There's just not enough single threaded performance to saturate this kind of GPU horsepower and the lack of proper multithreading (5960x outperforming 4670k by 100%). It's just a shame that reviewers are missing the point that their CPU is perhaps hitting its limit with their "godly" knowledge before acusing the drivers/scaling being bad.

They need to fix/improve 4 way first!

;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

i can see a "6 way" crossfire on AMD future  ^_^ (we don't need crossfire bridges anymore after all)

3x R9 295X2 (why not)  B)

MOOOOOAAAAARRRR    POWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-18625-0-05556500-1409589307.jpg

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

• 3 months later...

4 Way CF>4 way SLI. Nvidia's SLI is, honestly, crap compared to Crossfire. With crossfire the diminshing returns mean you get about 3.5 cards of performance out of 4, whereas SLI means you only get 3. 

TBH 5 way CF would probably be used to render **All of the things** really quickly. The only gaming application I can think of would be 6 4K displays...

My GPU History: GTS 250, 7790, 7850, GTX 660ti, 7870XT, 7970, 280X, 280X Crossfire, 290, 290X, Fury X, 390 Crossfire, Fury Crossfire, 1070, 1080, 1080ti.

My CPU History: Pentium 4, Pentium E5300, Core 2 Quad QX 9650, Intel Xeon 1230 v3, 4790K, 3930K, 5820K, 1700, 3700X.

TBH 5 way CF would probably be used to render **All of the things** really quickly.

Cards used for rendering do not need to be in SLi/ Xfire. And they typically only need an x4 or even lower speed link.

Which is why I want seven of those single slot ELSA GTX 750 Tis to put in an ASUS X99 WS board :P

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

My question: Why?

Because there's those one or two people that'll hurl that kind of money and brag about how great that one game that supports it is

At least we now know that anyone who claims they have "5-way CFX" is a complete and utter idiot.

*cough* Titan Z *cough*

That is all. Seriously 2 cards is enough for me, I'd rather just wait and spend that money on buying new cards later

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

heres what i see in ~ 4-6 months

"Nvidia announces 5 and 6 way sli, LTT forum literally dies because of the mass excitement and innovation!"

circle jerk aside i really dont understand why this is a thing either...I'm hoping it was just something that came about while working on the xfire tech and not something they were actually dedicating time to specifically....

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

im not partial to either the green or the red team, but damn this is gimmicky. and way out of the price ranges for the majority of people.

id laugh if going from 4 to 5 is like a 3-5% gain in performance xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

im not partial to either the green or the red team, but damn this is gimmicky. and way out of the price ranges for the majority of people.

not if u buy 5 mid range GPU's

xD im jk. you have to be retarded to do that

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

A10-7850k + 4x R7 250 ... I can play 1080p ultra.. yeaaa!

For extreme builders this makes sense but I wouldnt go over 2 GPU per system (gaming system). It really comes down to what you do. But if you need OpenCL performance.. man this can destroy things!

You wouldn't use XFire/SLI for compute workloads most of the time. You'd use the cards individually over a HUGE dataset.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd