AMD possibility of 5 way crossfire

dieharddddd

Possibility of 5-Way CrossfireX ?

A viewer asked

“The new X99 [platform] seems to have the ability to run 5 GPUs are there any plans by card makers to enable 5-Way GPU support ?”

AMD-Crossfire-XDMA-Engine-635x331.jpgRoy answered by saying “That’s a great question” “We’ve been astonished, there seems to be no end to the appetite for multi-GPU systems” & then Roy turned to Kevin, Origin PCs CEO & he showed an equally great level of enthusiasm & excitement.

AMD seemed to be very open to the idea of extending multi-GPU support beyond 4 GPUs but real limitations exist in the complexity of the driver software needed to drive such a setup as well as the impracticality of having so many GPUs in one system and the resulting noise & heat. But it really comes down to what the customers want in the end & if AMD & Nvidia for that matter see strong interest in this concept they are sure to pursue it it valiantly.

My question: Why?

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

think of the FPS... omg

but wait!!! think of the STUTTERING.... RUNNNNNNNN

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I don't think I'd personally ever go over 3 GPUs; For 4 asis which isn't new some games from 3 -> 4 have performance hits I woudln't trust 5 plus the HEAT and Powerconsumption 

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

to differentiate from nvidia. AMD will be like we have the best platform for 4k gaming because we can use more gpu 5 290x is greater then 4 780ti 

i dont see how they could do this because 5 way at x8 would be 40 lanes that is the max lanes so what would you do for sata and m.2 and anything else that uses pci lanes for communication. 

Can you imagine the amount of power that thing would suck up. :wacko:

CPU: I5 4670K 4.2ghz,MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Ranger,GPU:Sapphire 7950 3gb oc x2 In Crossfire,RAM:Kingston HyperX/HyperX Fury 16gb, CASE:NZXT Phantom 530,HDD:Kingston 120gb SSD WD Caviar Green 1TB & 2TB,PSU:Antec 850w High Current Gamer, Ben Q GL2450,Antec Kuhler 920,Razer Lycosa Mirror,Razer Taipan BF4 Edition,Logitech 5.1 surround,Samsung Galaxy note 3, Xbox One.

to differentiate from nvidia. AMD will be like we have the best platform for 4k gaming because we can use more gpu 5 290x is greater then 4 780ti 

The scaling goes off the cliff after abut 3 cards. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Because power!

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Normally I welcome any advancement in technology, even if it is minor... but CMON, at least get 2 way crossfire to be better optimized in games, or even supported first. I think that'd be a better focus in technological advancement.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

A10-7850k + 4x R7 250 ... I can play 1080p ultra.. yeaaa!

For extreme builders this makes sense but I wouldnt go over 2 GPU per system (gaming system). It really comes down to what you do. But if you need OpenCL performance.. man this can destroy things!

Let's be honest. It's epeen that's why. Nobody in Their right mind would go for 5 way crossfire, as it's just too damn powerful to run for such little unnoticeable gains.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

My motherboard has five PCI-E slots but that doesn't mean five way GPUs. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

CFX and SLI already suck for 3 or 4 cards, why add a fifth...

At least get it to scale properly then maybe it will become worth it...

At least we now know that anyone who claims they have "5-way CFX" is a complete and utter idiot.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I can already foresee the immense negative scaling...

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Why not go completely crazy and go for triple 4k eyefinity with 6 way crossfire using 3 r9 295X ?

That way each 4k monitor gets  one r9 295x to power it!

Yeah... 2 is the max for me.

Hell, after dealing with dual GPU's from both sides, 1 GPU is the max for me. Can't deal with twice the space, power and heat being added, but only like 25%-50% extra performance.

Everyone calm down this innovation shall allow the construction of a proper shrine to GabeN, 2 295x2 and a 290x plus a pcie ssd, plus 2 satae drives in raid 0. The future of holy worship is now

Edit: plus a 5960x

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

#CrossfireForNonFullscreen

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean