When someone doesn't understand how good certain hardware is.

Tobinator

So I have always looked to my brothers in earlier years for PC advice and tech specs. But recently when I talk to them, they don't seem to understand how good the hardware I talk about is. For example, I have a pretty beast of a PC. It's not the best but certainly up there. (Gtx 780 ti at 1200, an i7 4770k ( was at 4.2 but went back to normal after bios update and now won't overclock) and 16Gb or DDR3 1600 ram) However I get asked " is a 760 better than yours?" And told that 16Gb is too much. When I talk about my PC they just don't get how important the specs are. (Or rather how important they are to me anyways) Its not even that they aren't Tekkies any more though. They both do computer related side jobs and hobbies.

Any one else run into this? I understand none Tekkies, but I'm used to my bros being the top dogs and now feel like I'm talking about something no one else has even heard of.

same thing happened with my dad it could just mean that your better than him now

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Don't even try. Those people will never understand.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You dont need 16gb as an everyday consumer or gamer, right now, at least.

I do gaming and 3D media creation aswell as video editing and photo editing. I'm also guilty of the fear of not closing things invade I need to use it again and have too much stuff open at the same time.

Also I use it as a game server quite often.

Dude, I'm American. I crack up all the time when I see an ISP advertising their crappy uneventful internet speeds and touting them as "super fast", especially knowing what the rest of the developed world has. Little Romanian doing hardcore embarrassing of our sub-par internet selection. It's hard not to either laugh or hold in rage whenever I have to talk to them. I remember one gushing over a plan and claiming how 3mbps was "fast". Non techies haven't a clue about these and are blissfully unaware how dire American internet is. I bet someone could be fooled into believing 1gbps was worst than 56k because hurr durr 56,000 is a high number, holy shit.

Edit: Not quite hardware as it's more networking, but the same concept.

my friend said a single 780 was too much so i went ahead and got a second lol he doesn't understand that i run 2560x1440 at 120+ fps

Is it glorious?

Which games which settings??

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

My friend is like. "I have the 2.8GHz Core i5" (Laptop)

Me "Annndddd....?"

Him "It's the fastest"

Me "Cool. Model?"

Him "The fastest one"

Or "I have a eight core CPU. It's better than yours"

Also AT&T Ultra Fast High Speed internet is "Up to 3Mb/s"

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Maybe they are just busy with other stuff and unaware of the latest generation of hardware. This happens to me from time to time, thank goodness for LTT.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

Yeah, moved to my sisters after moving out of my dads. The Internet at dads was 210mbs. When I talked to sister about the speeds she said "Don't worry. It's really really fast!" "How fast?" I ask.

"10mbs! IT'S ACE!"

I died a little

Also, I should mention that the 210mbs was on fibre optics.

That's like a few friends of mine. One works in IT and both are actually quite knowledgeable when it comes to networking systems (hardware and software side). Both are PC gamers and one always builds himself a new gaming rig every few years. Right now he has a 3570K with an H80i, 16GB RAM, a plethora of storage (including SSDs), some really nice motherboard, overkill 1000w PSU and GTX 680. But when I start talking about recent PC hardware etc, it's like they don't keep up to date with the latest parts and don't seem to care much. I don't get it. Any time I mention some new tech or components, they always seem unimpressed and try to find some way to make it sound like it's nothing special/already been done etc. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Dude, I'm American. I crack up all the time when I see an ISP advertising their crappy uneventful internet speeds and touting them as "super fast", especially knowing what the rest of the developed world has. Little Romanian doing hardcore embarrassing of our sub-par internet selection. It's hard not to either laugh or hold in rage whenever I have to talk to them. I remember one gushing over a plan and claiming how 3mbps was "fast". Non techies haven't a clue about these and are blissfully unaware how dire American internet is. I bet someone could be fooled into believing 1gbps was worst than 56k because hurr durr 56,000 is a high number, holy shit.

Edit: Not quite hardware as it's more networking, but the same concept.

America big. Infrastructure costly. Big business strong.

Romania ...

i3-4170, H81 board, 8GB DDR3, Crucial M4, GTX 770, Xigmatek Vangaurd Case, Creative Titanium X-fi, Razer Carcharias, 500w PSU, 24" VA panel and a 42" IPS. Thinking about getting a plant.

So I have always looked to my brothers in earlier years for PC advice and tech specs. But recently when I talk to them, they don't seem to understand how good the hardware I talk about is. For example, I have a pretty beast of a PC. It's not the best but certainly up there. (Gtx 780 ti at 1200, an i7 4770k ( was at 4.2 but went back to normal after bios update and now won't overclock) and 16Gb or DDR3 1600 ram) However I get asked " is a 760 better than yours?" And told that 16Gb is too much. When I talk about my PC they just don't get how important the specs are. (Or rather how important they are to me anyways) Its not even that they aren't Tekkies any more though. They both do computer related side jobs and hobbies.

Any one else run into this? I understand none Tekkies, but I'm used to my bros being the top dogs and now feel like I'm talking about something no one else has even heard of.

How old are they ? By a certain age, it's not all that interesting anymore.

i3-4170, H81 board, 8GB DDR3, Crucial M4, GTX 770, Xigmatek Vangaurd Case, Creative Titanium X-fi, Razer Carcharias, 500w PSU, 24" VA panel and a 42" IPS. Thinking about getting a plant.

Yeah, moved to my sisters after moving out of my dads. The Internet at dads was 210mbs. When I talked to sister about the speeds she said "Don't worry. It's really really fast!" "How fast?" I ask.

"10mbs! IT'S ACE!"

I died a little

Also, I should mention that the 210mbs was on fibre optics.

Come to Straya, experience our 512kbs internet.... 

Don't even try. Those people will never understand.

This guy gets it.

This describes your situation:

EDIT: Can someone please tell me how to markdown/hyperlink videos? Seems a bit spammish to post the whole video.

Yes I own an Alienware, yes I overpaid for it, yes it runs Battlefield 4 on Ultra at 80-85FPS, yes I like it, yes I can game at Starbucks, are we done?

How old are they ? By a certain age, it's not all that interesting anymore.

They are 25 and 28, I think...

its about perspective as well. a 780 is almost two 760s worth of silicon (561mm2 vs 294mm2), where as a 680 was not two 660's worth of silicon(294mm2 vs 221mm2). maybe they just don't realize how much AMD and Nvidia pulled ahead this generation compared to the last, and they think a 760 is a better deal. or, they're just trolling you.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

You dont need 16gb as an everyday consumer or gamer, right now, at least.

^this times 1,000

I hate people who complain that 8GB is 'too low now adays' like, what the fuck are you doing? Planning the next mission to the moon?

Lol I have the same sort of issue, my guild master thinks that his ps4 is "more advanced" than a 400 dollar gaming pc because it has 12 cores, never mind that it's an APU, and has nothing but limitations and most of it's games don't run at 1080 and those that do can't run above 30hz, nope, its more advanced, and certainly not 5 years behind the times as far as performance goes.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Lol I have the same sort of issue, my guild master thinks that his ps4 is "more advanced" than a 400 dollar gaming pc because it has 12 cores, never mind that it's an APU, and has nothing but limitations and most of it's games don't run at 1080 and those that do can't run above 30hz, nope, its more advanced, and certainly not 5 years behind the times as far as performance goes.

A lot of ps4 games run at 1080p @60fps. Only the XBone runs at like 144p

Most of my friends don't even know what a graphics card is :(

XEON E3 1231v3 | GA-Z97MX GAMING 5 | XFX R9 290 | 16GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX100 256GB | WD BLUE 1TB | EVGA SUPERNOVA 850W | CORSAIR 350D