LG officially reveals circular G Watch R

JAKEBAB

post-1006-0-92342300-1409203476.jpg

"Not one to wait around for trade shows to officially begin before flaunting its new products to the world, LG is no longer teasing the G Watch R, its upcoming circular Android Wear smartwatch -- it's showing it off in all its glory. And just as the company hinted at on Sunday, it comes with a 1.3-inch Plastic OLED (P-OLED) full 360-degree display. LG says that it isn't trying to replace the original G Watch, but rather offer another choice: The R is an elegant device that looks and feels more like a classic watch than its squarish predecessor. Good timing, too, since it's going to be competing head-to-head (wrist-to-wrist?) against the Moto 360, a similarly shaped watch that will likely be available next week."

"Admittedly, the R's design looks like a substantial improvement over the original -- the first one looks and feels much more like a reference device than a consumer watch -- so we're excited to see how it is in real life. Unfortunately, the components don't seem to be much better than the original G Watch. The single most important factor on any smartwatch is battery life, and just like it is on LG's and Samsung's existing Wear devices, the outlook doesn't look promising; the R comes with a 410mAh battery, a mere 10mAh improvement over its square counterpart. That means we shouldn't expect to get more than a day or so on a single charge.

Nearly all of the other guts are the same, too. It comes with interchangeable 22mm straps, a 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 chipset with 512MB of RAM and 4GB internal storage. It's also rated IP67 for water resistance (up to one meter of water for thirty minutes), just like the last one was. However, there's two notable new features: It comes with a heart rate monitor underneath and what appears to be a power button on the side.

One of the more interesting aspects of the R isn't what it has, but what it lacks: A black bar at the bottom of the 1.3-inch, 320 x 320 display. Motorola uses this "flat tire" on the 360, so while the front of the watch is circular, the display itself is not. Reps have explained that this bar houses the ambient light sensor and some drivers for the display. We're not sure yet if the bar's absence means that the R simply won't have these same features, or if they've been relocated elsewhere on the device. We've reached out to LG for more details. LG says that the R will go on sale in early Q4 of this year, which suggests that it'll be out in October or early November. The company isn't ready to disclose pricing, but it says that cost will vary by market."

More pics
post-1006-0-53485100-1409200432.jpg
post-1006-0-54000500-1409200450.jpg

Its so sexy i was waiting for the moto 360 and was going to get a motorola phone but now im really considering this really weird how this is the second thing LG has revealed before IFA :S

I'm just staring at the picture and I don't get it..... is it touchscreen or does it use buttons? I'm so confused

"Rawr XD"

I'm just staring at the picture and I don't get it..... is it touchscreen or does it use buttons? I'm so confused

Its touch screen

wtf how??? is there a vid of someone using it?

No its only just be revealed id say we will get more info at IFA 

LG definitely has got their design right on this one. I wonder if you can get it with a steel band.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

I am liking the design A LOT

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

As someone who owns a pebble and dispies all the other current smart watches, this one looks really good. I might have to add it to my collection. If anything like it's predecessor I would assume you would need to plug it in at the end of every day. Not something I really want to do and even my pebble has died on me due to me forgetting to plug it in. Two things I would like to see from phones and watch for the future. 1 week battery life. We have the tech and most phones are way over powered anyways. The old phones from the 90s had a charge for days.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Holy mother of God, that thing looks sexy as fuck! How am I supposed to choose between this and the 360???

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Needs wireless charging before i give a fuck. I don't use a cable for my nexus 5 anymore because wireless changing pads are just so much more convinient

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

it's like a normal watch

i don't even know that is a smartwatch

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

Best looking smart watch yet, by far. Will defiantly be picking one of these up when it comes out.

if your smart watch looks as good as an actual high grade watch, then its allot easier to justify if it has a high price point. i like it, i like it allot

How do you list the resolution on a round display? pi*r2?

I don't really see the point of round smart watches. A round watch makes sense for an analog one, because it uses the least amount of space, but on a smart watch you will display a bunch of non-round objects.

Battery life is an issue though... 1 day or even 2 days is simply not enough. 

Tell me when they get to a week. 

It's the diameter x diameter. So it has a diameter of 320 pixels. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

It's the diameter x diameter. So it has a diameter of 320 pixels. 

But... That won't give you the true resolution.

this is definitely better looking than the 360,  If it turns out to be of comparable quality to watches at the same price point I could easily be persuaded to spend up on it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

But... That won't give you the true resolution.

Just find the pixel density and times it by the area.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

plastic OLED!?

no thank you

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

A smart watch that actually looks like a watch and doesn't have a stupid black bar like the moto 360, awesome!

Ohh, the battery still sucks arse, and no wireless charging, nvm.

This, imo, is nicer than the Moto watch. I like how it looks more like a regular watch, and it also seems like it'll fit the wrist a little nicer...though that's just from the renders and without knowing boths dimensions it's hard to say.

The 360 looks a touch too large to be comfortable.

wtf how??? is there a vid of someone using it?

Just like every other Android Wear based smart watch?

LG definitely has got their design right on this one. I wonder if you can get it with a steel band.

They've said it's interchangeable so I'd assume yes.

As someone who owns a pebble and dispies all the other current smart watches, this one looks really good. I might have to add it to my collection. If anything like it's predecessor I would assume you would need to plug it in at the end of every day. Not something I really want to do and even my pebble has died on me due to me forgetting to plug it in. Two things I would like to see from phones and watch for the future. 1 week battery life. We have the tech and most phones are way over powered anyways. The old phones from the 90s had a charge for days.

Yeah, but look at what phones from the 90's were. They could make a phone with similar function today and probably have it last weeks. Then people would just complain that it doesn't do much.

It's mostly back light that eats away at the battery. That, and games, browsing, etc. If you have a phone and just use it for calls...like in the 90's...it'll last days.

With a 5000mah battery, the display tech that eliminates one of the layers the light last to pass through, advances in OS's, I could see 3ish days of battery life on current phones. Just have to wait for someone to piece all the tech's together, and most companies don't seem to see battery size as an importance.

I don't really see the point of round smart watches. A round watch makes sense for an analog one, because it uses the least amount of space, but on a smart watch you will display a bunch of non-round objects.

You can easily display the same information in a round watch, and I imagine that's one of the things Android Wear will focus on.

I'd much, much prefer to wear a round watch to a square one. I imagine most would.

plastic OLED!?

no thank you

That doesn't mean that it won't be covered with glass..

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

• 5 months later...

attachicon.gifmsg-14986-0-54704800-1409202345.jpg

"Not one to wait around for trade shows to officially begin before flaunting its new products to the world, LG is no longer teasing the G Watch R, its upcoming circular Android Wear smartwatch -- it's showing it off in all its glory. And just as the company hinted at on Sunday, it comes with a 1.3-inch Plastic OLED (P-OLED) full 360-degree display. LG says that it isn't trying to replace the original G Watch, but rather offer another choice: The R is an elegant device that looks and feels more like a classic watch than its squarish predecessor. Good timing, too, since it's going to be competing head-to-head (wrist-to-wrist?) against the Moto 360, a similarly shaped watch that will likely be available next week."

"Admittedly, the R's design looks like a substantial improvement over the original -- the first one looks and feels much more like a reference device than a consumer watch -- so we're excited to see how it is in real life. Unfortunately, the components don't seem to be much better than the original G Watch. The single most important factor on any smartwatch is battery life, and just like it is on LG's and Samsung's existing Wear devices, the outlook doesn't look promising; the R comes with a 410mAh battery, a mere 10mAh improvement over its square counterpart. That means we shouldn't expect to get more than a day or so on a single charge.

Nearly all of the other guts are the same, too. It comes with interchangeable 22mm straps, a 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 chipset with 512MB of RAM and 4GB internal storage. It's also rated IP67 for water resistance (up to one meter of water for thirty minutes), just like the last one was. However, there's two notable new features: It comes with a heart rate monitor underneath and what appears to be a power button on the side.

One of the more interesting aspects of the R isn't what it has, but what it lacks: A black bar at the bottom of the 1.3-inch, 320 x 320 display. Motorola uses this "flat tire" on the 360, so while the front of the watch is circular, the display itself is not. Reps have explained that this bar houses the ambient light sensor and some drivers for the display. We're not sure yet if the bar's absence means that the R simply won't have these same features, or if they've been relocated elsewhere on the device. We've reached out to LG for more details. LG says that the R will go on sale in early Q4 of this year, which suggests that it'll be out in October or early November. The company isn't ready to disclose pricing, but it says that cost will vary by market."

More pics

Its so sexy i was waiting for the moto 360 and was going to get a motorola phone but now im really considering this really weird how this is the second thing LG has revealed before IFA :S

asus zenwatch?

Locked thread for necro. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB