Google Is Planning to Offer Accounts to Kids Under 13

Victorious Secret

BN-ED892_Google_G_20140818183331.jpg

As if kids under 13 haven't already been using these services for longer. But it seems nice that Google wants to do it in a proper manner and give controls over what the kids can access and what information gets collected. 

Accounts on Google services such as Gmail and YouTube are not officially offered to children, though there is little to stop them from logging on anonymously or posing as adults to sign up for accounts.

Now Google is trying to establish a new system that lets parents set up accounts for their kids, control how they use Google services and what information is collected about their offspring, according to a person familiar with the effort.

Earlier this year, Google was developing a child version of its online video site YouTube suited to tablet computers that would let parents control content, another person familiar with the company’s plans said.

Google and most other Internet companies tread carefully because of the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, or COPPA. The law imposes strict limits on how information about children under 13 is collected; it requires parents’ consent and tightly controls how that data can be used for advertising. (Companies are not liable if customers lie to them about user ages).

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/08/18/google-moves-to-target-kids-under-13/

Too bad most under 13's don't really care about trying to stay at least moderately safe on the internet. I can at least agree with controlling what they can search for. Though you could just use Bing...soooo....not exactly useful.

This can only end badly, unless there is some sort of Adult intervention or monitoring

Perhaps emailing the parent weekly  letting them know what their child has been doing so they can monitor it without the child feeling restricted

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It doesn't realy matter, if the "under 13" account has any form of limitation kids under 13 will just tell the wrong age as they have up to now...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Thanks Google, but I'm already a pubescent 57 year old according to my age on Google. 

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Oh nice. Maybe I should make a new Google account and set my age under 13 then. That would stop them from collecting and misusing my personal information.

At least if you can remove all restrictions from it...

chris-hansen-2.jpg

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

This can only end badly, unless there is some sort of Adult intervention or monitoring

Perhaps emailing the parent weekly  letting them know what their child has been doing so they can monitor it without the child feeling restricted

Why are we not funding that? Great idea though.

Why are we not funding that? Great idea though.

I am full of great ideas, and yet no talents to do anything about it :P

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Dude, I've been over 18 for at least 19 years now

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Perhaps emailing the parent weekly letting them know what their child has been doing so they can monitor it without the child feeling restricted

Right, but on the other hand do you really want to learn what kind of fucked up hentai your kids are into? That is bound to make the dinner awkward that night.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Right, but on the other hand do you really want to learn what kind of fucked up hentai your kids are into? That is bound to make the dinner awkward that night.

Yes....

I meant no

MOAR DATAS FOR TEH GOOGLE HOARD!

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Get them hooked early, that way they don't know they're being monitored and monetized.

That's what I read it as.

Now they can show psychologically damaging ads to kids too...great. Perhaps we'll see a whole generation growing up brainwashed by Google advertising and unable to think critically.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Thousands of families would never be able to eat octopus ever again...

Does anyone actually put their real age when signing up for online services? I just ensure I'm over 18 :P

Does anyone actually put their real age when signing up for online services? I just ensure I'm over 18 :P

93% of Steam users are born on January 1st. What a coincidence.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Tell me when these accounts come online...

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

On the Internet, no one knows you're actually a 5 year old cat-shaped bowl of spaghetti, especially when you set your birthdate as close to 1/1/1900 as possible.

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on