Does anyone else feel that they make more/better friends online?

rambi36

Lately I've been making a lot of friends on the forum such as @WinNut, @Jerakl, @wng_kingsley7 and @TheSLSAMG but IRL, I don't have too many friends. I think the main reason why is because my interests are very different from the majority of teenagers that I'm around at school (Despite going to a high school geared for programming in NYC). Also I find that while my IRL friends are pretty nice, my internet buds are way nicer to me and we could chat for hours about various things. Do any of you feel you make more and or better friends online via the traditional method of face to face? I find myself really wanting to meet some of you in person one day but I can't for certain reasons...(Parents be worried that some of you are creeps and pediphiles...)

Life.exe is missing

Yes. I had 3 or 4 Steam friends before the forums. Now I have 22.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I do have friends but no one has the same interests as i do

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

@beebskadoo

worst mistake ever

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

I personally am going to have to disagree, I don't really have a lot of friends in general lol.

To be honest I don't think I have a single one on this forum.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

It's all dependent upon where you live. The internet is a hub of traffic from all over the world allowing for a much greater variety in people and interests. Since you are on a forum that is tailored to your interests you will easily find people to share those interests with and develop a better friendship. Face to face interaction limits you to the people that live within your area and the chances of them having similar interests with you decreases greatly. As much as people of older generations like to preach that online friends are not real friends and that you should only have friends that you see face to face. They are very wrong. While it's good to maintain a social life with people you interact with, chances are friends you meet online will make you a much happier person.

I do have friends but no one has the same interests as i do

I have that same issue too but sometimes even if you have different interests you still like being friends

Life.exe is missing

And I am one of the 17-18 new steam friends ;)

Yup. :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I personally am going to have to disagree, I don't really have a lot of friends in general lol.

To be honest I don't think I have a single one on this forum.

I'll be your friend <3

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

Yes, I met most of them from just one game. Very nice people. I even traded with one. Most of them are from Europe, some American and one from Africa.

@athesean1 is my friend IRL and we kinda have the same interests but I have a lot more friends online then I do IRL

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

Pretty much and there are some exceptions I'm a guy who doesn't make a lot friends online or in real life and there could be others like me to. Anyway. When you go to forums that interest you, you will make friends pretty easily and quicker than in real life with other people you can relate to. Same thing goes for relationships honestly. All in all good friends are nice to have even if they are online or in real life and maybe possibly in the future worlds away.

Haha, this is going to be one of the downfalls of mankind. People slowly becoming detached from the real world and only being able to converse or interact if a screens between them.

I get what you mean though. It's easier to meet people with similar interests and you don't have to deal with any of their "shortcomings" if you will.

Seriously though. Looking around today compared to when I was a kid it's way different and rather off putting. Everyone's glued to a screen of some kind. People have trouble interacting in public. It's odd.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

i have one irl friend who i can talk to a lot. but the rest we don't really share the same interests. most of my online friends yes :D

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

Yea.  I've just started to use the forums and already made some new friends.  I think it's great, especially since this is a tech-based forum... and everyone here has a common interest.

INTEL i7 4790K | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X GAMING 5 | A-DATA 16GB | PCS+ R9 290 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO | MOMENTUS XT BARRACUDA |  FRACTAL DESIGN R4

Lately I've been making a lot of friends on the forum such as @WinNut, @Jerakl, @wng_kingsley7 and @TheSLSAMG but IRL, I don't have too many friends. I think the main reason why is because my interests are very different from the majority of teenagers that I'm around at school (Despite going to a high school geared for programming in NYC). Also I find that while my IRL friends are pretty nice, my internet buds are way nicer to me and we could chat for hours about various things. Do any of you feel you make more and or better friends online via the traditional method of face to face? I find myself really wanting to meet some of you in person one day but I can't for certain reasons...(Parents be worried that some of you are creeps and pediphiles...)

tumblr_makpt06BR91rgep1wo1_400.gif=tumblr_lwu2pnmN7B1r3zeo2o1_250.gif

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I only have a couple of friends IRL that I can really talk to... Otherwise I just keep it in.

INTEL i7 4790K | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X GAMING 5 | A-DATA 16GB | PCS+ R9 290 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO | MOMENTUS XT BARRACUDA |  FRACTAL DESIGN R4

@Kayn

@BonBon Scott

@ixi

@Camul

@FireFox

@Snickerzz

Love you all <3

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

--SUCH TAGGING--

Love you all <3

Ouy6u1D.gif

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen