new PS4 vs new Xbox - the two have 8 cores ?

7850OC

i just noticed that the two are a bit similar  :)

what do we know so far ?

The answer is simple. PC still wins  ;)

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

I'd like to know if they are really 8 cores since they're both from AMD.

Meaning that 4 modules of 2 cores =/= 8 cores for me.

The answer is simple. PC still wins  ;)

why?

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

I'd like to know if they are really 8 cores since they're both from AMD.

Meaning that 4 modules of 2 cores =/= 8 cores for me.

There's still integer cores inside of the modules.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

There's still integer cores inside of the modules.

true true, i tink the same, they are 8 cores for me at least  :rolleyes:

I think the # of cores is like the new 'marketing' selling point.

Remember back in the pentium 4 days, PC's were sold advertising only their GHz speed -- "3.0 GHz Holy Shit Must buy"

Then they moved to multiple cores and lowered the raw CPU Ghz speed.

Now it's -- "my product has EIGHT CORE YO.  BUY IT"

I think the # of cores is like the new 'marketing' selling point.

Remember back in the pentium 4 days, PC's were sold advertising only their GHz speed -- "3.0 GHz Holy Shit Must buy"

Then they moved to multiple cores and lowered the raw CPU Ghz speed.

Now it's -- "my product has EIGHT CORE YO.  BUY IT"

And also improved the architecture of the chips. Console gamers will be like towards Intel CPU users..."we got eight cores and you don't. (said console) is better than your PC!"

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

And also improved the architecture of the chips. Console gamers will be like towards Intel CPU users..."we got eight cores and you don't. (said console) is better than your PC!"

"My phone has two cores.  The new xbox has 8.  Holy crap my new xbox is like 4 Times faster than my $600 phone.  How come its not $4800?"

XDXD

"My phone has two cores.  The new xbox has 8.  Holy crap my new xbox is like 4 Times faster than my $600 phone.  How come its not $4800?"

XDXD

Oh no. One can hope that does not become a reality.

Let's be honest, both of them aren't GREAT but if I were sitting down on the couch all day, the Xbox One would win with all the multi-media functions like the overlays. The gaming fictionality's have such small difference.  

If you were gaming on a couch, you can't really be a "Hardcore" gamer, so why look at the gaming aspect of it?

One thing I know is that the CPU in the PS4 will be running at 2.0GHz and the one in the... one... will be running at 1.6Ghz. if that makes any real difference we'll just have to wait and see.

As far as the graphics, both companies haven't released any details, they just said they are comparable to HD 7000 series cards... which explains absolutely nothing, but rumours say they'll have performance similar to an HD 7770, which makes sense considering the price.

One thing I know is that the CPU in the PS3 will be running at 2.0GHz and the one in the... one... will be running at 1.6Ghz. if that makes any real difference we'll just have to wait and see.

As far as the graphics, both companies haven't released any details, they just said they are comparable to HD 7000 series cards... which explains absolutely nothing, but rumours say they'll have performance similar to an HD 7770, which makes sense considering the price.

*ps4,  

I'm still waiting on real specs... 8gb of ram... Cas Latency, Speed, .....    Shall I go on? Both companies don't understand how to convince people which is faster... well atleast anyone that has a clue about technology

Come fold while not gaming! http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/37-foldinghome-boinc-and-coin-mining/

Gaming Rig: i7-9700k 5GHz all core, GTX 1070, 16GB TridentZ, Buncha ssds...

Stream Machine: R7 1700, GTX 660 (lol), 16GB Corsair Somethingoranother, 120 GB SSD i've had since 2012. 

Mobile Workstation: MSI-ALPHA :R7 3750H, RX 5500M, 16GB of some ram, 500GB SSD.

back in the day, it used to be 8-bits. Now its 8 cores.

PC Specs

Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Intel i7 3930K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 32GB (8x4GB) | MSI GTX 980 +200MHz +200MHz | Corsair HX1050i PSU

Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Western Digital 2TB Green HDD | Corsair Carbide 500R Midtower | Random DVD Burner | Corsair H100 for CPU

*ps4,  

I'm still waiting on real specs... 8gb of ram... Cas Latency, Speed, .....    Shall I go on? Both companies don't understand how to convince people which is faster... well atleast anyone that has a clue about technology

Oh ,my bad xD.

The PS4 is going to have GDDR5 RAM but the One is going to have DDR3. both have advantages and disadvantages compared to each other, but it seems to me like this confirms that the XBox isn't aimed at gaming (if that wasn't obvious enough), while the PS4 is really focused on gaming, since (correct me if I'm wrong) GDDR5 should be able to handle large textures better but has higher latencies which makes it suffer in most other applications which use smaller files...

All of this doesn't really mean much without any benchmarks and actual usage...

back in the day, it used to be 8-bits. Now its 8 cores.

8 cores in a console isn't really that surprising when you consider you can get 8 cores in a phone!

Saying it has 8 cores is totally meaningless without more in depth specs but i suppose consoles are not really for people who care about such things :blink:

The only difference between a politician and a criminal in patience . A criminal will try to take everything immediately where as a politician known to take it one small piece at a time

Oh ,my bad xD.

The PS4 is going to have GDDR5 RAM but the One is going to have DDR3. both have advantages and disadvantages compared to each other, but it seems to me like this confirms that the XBox isn't aimed at gaming (if that wasn't obvious enough), while the PS4 is really focused on gaming, since (correct me if I'm wrong) GDDR5 should be able to handle large textures better but has higher latencies which makes it suffer in most other applications which use smaller files...

All of this doesn't really mean much without any benchmarks and actual usage...

8 cores in a console isn't really that surprising when you consider you can get 8 cores in a phone!

GDDR5 Ram is for the GPU... I feel like their is other ram for the CPU... Who knows?

Come fold while not gaming! http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/37-foldinghome-boinc-and-coin-mining/

Gaming Rig: i7-9700k 5GHz all core, GTX 1070, 16GB TridentZ, Buncha ssds...

Stream Machine: R7 1700, GTX 660 (lol), 16GB Corsair Somethingoranother, 120 GB SSD i've had since 2012. 

Mobile Workstation: MSI-ALPHA :R7 3750H, RX 5500M, 16GB of some ram, 500GB SSD.

Saying it has 8 cores is totally meaningless without more in depth specs but i suppose consoles are not really for people who care about such things :blink:

GDDR5 Ram is for the GPU... I feel like their is other ram for the CPU... Who knows?

No, it's shared memory.

I found some more specs here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4/2

au0vGjx.png

SWKIBQk.png

It seems the PS4 wins in graphics power by quite a bit...

On the other hand it's inconclusive which memory configuration is better

XDXD

Wait... so the Galaxy S 4 with the Exynos 5 Octa is as powerful as the Xbox One and PS4???

No, it's shared memory.

I found some more specs here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4/2

It seems the PS4 wins in graphics power by quite a bit...

On the other hand it's inconclusive which memory configuration is better

In my opinion, it doesn't matter what the specs are, the game developers, if they are making games that are multi-platform, will have their games be optimized to their full potential on both consoles. They might look a BIT different, but come on, they're consoles! If you want to buy games for their graphics then you should be switching to PC where we have mods and whatnot to make our games, no matter how old they are, way better looking than any console game out there!

In my opinion, it doesn't matter what the specs are, the game developers, if they are making games that are multi-platform, will have their games be optimized to their full potential on both consoles. They might look a BIT different, but come on, they're consoles! If you want to buy games for their graphics then you should be switching to PC where we have mods and whatnot to make our games, no matter how old they are, way better looking than any console game out there!

Very true, and I will be sticking to PC... doesn't make me any less curious though :D.

Wait... so the Galaxy S 4 with the Exynos 5 Octa is as powerful as the Xbox One and PS4???

That was sarcasm mate :).

why?

The ability to make it 5 times better, thats why

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

if somone ever did come up to me spewing "my xbox one has an 8 core you only have 4 cores" ill just point out that my processor is twice as fast (3.2ghz) I know it doesn't matter but its an easy win as far as convincing people to sit down and shut up.
if that doesnt work ill explain that my gtx 285 has 240 "cores" or the 7950 im getting has 1792 "cores"
people will believe what they want, if i wanted graphics and good gaming im sticking to pc but the xbox is aimed more towards the household entertainment enviroment and it will be cheaper which mean more will be bought, same tactic was applied to the wii and that worked (plenty of people had a 360/ps3 AND a wii).

I do wonder what the actual achitecture is in these jaguar cores, is it a very declocked vishera? or is it somethign like a trinity/fx4300 quad core with 4 additional cores for running other parts of the system in the same way samsungs "8 core" is

Falcon: Corsair 750D 8320at4.6ghz 1.3v | 4GB MSI Gaming R9-290 @1000/1250 | 2x8GB 2400mhz Kingston HyperX Beast | Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | Antec H620 | Corsair RM750w | Crucial M500 240GB, Toshiba 2TB, DarkThemeMasterRace, my G3258 has an upgrade path, my fx8320 doesn't need one...total cost £840=cpu£105, board£65, ram£105, Cooler £20, GPU£200, PSU£88, SSD£75, HDD£57, case£125.

CASE:-NZXT S340 Black, CPU:-FX8120 @4.2Ghz, COOLER:-CM Hyper 212 EVO, BOARD:-MSI 970 Gaming, RAM:-2x4gb 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro, GPU: SLI EVGA GTX480's @700/1000, PSU:-Corsair CX600m, HDD:-WD green 160GB+2TB toshiba
CASE:-(probably) Cooltek U1, CPU:-G3258 @4.5ghx, COOLER:-stock(soon "MSI Dragon" AiO likely), BOARD:-MSI z87i ITX Gaming, RAM:-1x4gb 1333mhz Patriot, GPU: Asus DCU2 r9-270 OC@1000/1500mem, PSU:-Sweex 350w.., HDD:-WD Caviar Blue 640GB
CASE:-TBD, CPU:-Core2Quad QX9650 @4Ghz, COOLER:-OCZ 92mm tower thing, BOARD:-MSI p43-c51, RAM:-4x1GB 800mhz Corsair XMS2, GPU: Zotac GTX460se @800/1000, PSU:-OCZ600sxs, HDD:-WD green 160GBBlueJean-A
 CASE:-Black/Blue Sharkoon T9, CPU:-Phenom2 x4 B55 @3.6Ghz/1.4v, COOLER:-FX8320 Stock HSF, BOARD:-M5A78L-M/USB3, RAM:-4GB 1333mhz Kingston low profile at 1600mhz, GPU:-EVGA GTX285, PSU:-Antec TP550w modu, STORAGE:-240gb  M500+2TB Toshiba
CASE:-icute zl02-3g-bb, CPU:-Phenom2 X6 1055t @3.5Ghz, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-Asrock m3a UCC, RAM:2x2GB 1333mhz Zeppelin (thats yellow!), GPU: XFX 1GB HD6870xxx, PSU:-some 450 POS, HDD:-WD Scorpio blue 120GB
CASE:-Packard Bell iMedia X2424, Custom black/red Aerocool Xpredator fulltower, CPU's:-E5200, C2D [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>(so e8500), COOLER:-Scythe Big shuriken2 Rev B, BFG gtx260 sp216 OC, RAM:-tons..
Gigabyte GTX460, Gigabyte gt430,
GPU's:-GT210 1GB,  asus hd6670 1GB gddr5, XFX XXX 9600gt 512mb Alpha dog edition, few q6600's
PICTURES CASE:-CIT mars black+red, CPU:-Athlon K6 650mhz slot A, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-QDI Kinetiz 7a, RAM:-256+256+256MB 133mhz SDram, GPU:-inno3d geforce4 mx440 64mb, PSU:-E-Zcool 450w, STORAGE:-2x WD 40gb "black" drives,
CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra, CPU:-Athlon64 4000+, COOLER:-BIG stock one, BOARD:-MSI something*, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz ECC transcend, GPU:-ati 9800se@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-2x maxtor 80gb,
PICTURES CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra (another), CPU:-Pentium4 2.8ghz prescott, COOLER:-Artic Coolering Freezer4, BOARD:-DFI lanparty infinity 865 R2, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz kingston, GPU:-ati 9550@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-another 2x WD 80gb,
CASE:-ML110 G4, CPU:-xeon 4030, COOLER:-stock leaf blower, BOARD:-stock raid 771 board, RAM:-2x2GB 666mhz kingston ECC ddr2, GPU:-9400GT 1GB, PSU:-stock delta, RAID:-JMicron JMB363 card+onboard raid controller, HDD:-320gb hitachi OS, 2xMaxtor 160gb raid1, 500gb samsungSP, 160gb WD, LAPTOP:-Dell n5030, CPU:-replaced s*** cel900 with awesome C2D E8100, RAM:-2x2GB 1333mhz ddr3, HDD:-320gb, PHONE's:-LG optimus 3D (p920) on 2.3.5@300-600mhz de-clock (batteryFTW)