Google will stop calling games 'free' when they offer in-app purchases

Dietrichw

Source

in-app-purchases_1020_large_verge_medium

Google has agreed to add protections around games' in-app purchases to ensure that children won't rack up unwanted charges on their parents' credit cards. The changes come at the request of the European Commission, which has been investigating the ongoing issue of unwanted in-app purchases and is today laying out a series of guidelines that it would like developers and app stores to comply with. Google has said that by the end of September, it will cease to advertise games as "free" when they include in-app purchases and that it will also require payment verification before each purchase. It's unclear if these changes will be exclusive to Europe, however.

I think that if you give your child a phone and password to your credit card linked Google Play/iTunes account you are a moron anyway I wouldn't waste my time legislating to nanny your behaviour.

Apple's 'Ask to Buy' is a good idea that helps implement a solution for parents giving their child a seperate phone without catering to stupidity.

This same commission seem completely blind to the existence of this and are still asking Apple to ramp up protection for their customers from in app purchases, which I think is really dumb given what Apple have implemented that customers can use.

367d3c3e4301d0eb4b067e57ee00ebe4.png

Finally. iOS has this (I think it's been there since iOS 6 at least).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Yeah it says "This app offers in-app purchases" or something. 

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

Source

-snip-

Now this, this is a good idea.  I hate downloading a F2P game, only to find out it has microtransactions (I usually don't, I get most mobile games from the Humble Bundle)

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Toddler mode is a good solution. The ability to disable all in-app purchases with the touch of a button. Or you know don't put your credit card on your phone.

Sometimes it just charges the phone bill. If it's an Apple product with iTunes then a lot of people have credit cards attached to buy music, and of course... apps.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

I don't think it will make much of a dent on the amount of crappy games but hopefully it will motivate some devs to just do advertisement instead which I can a higher tolerance for.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Sometimes it just charges the phone bill. If it's an Apple product with iTunes then a lot of people have credit cards attached to buy music, and of course... apps.

Than don't allow them to play on devices you have a phone bill attached to, for instance an iPod. Make all purchases only able to be done from the phone. That would take some more planning but it's another option.

Than don't allow them to play on devices you have a phone bill attached to, for instance an iPod. Make all purchases only able to be done from the phone. That would take some more planning but it's another option.

Yes but when you have 3 kids and the easiest thing to do is hand them your phone and let them play with it, it's easy for parents to get sidetracked and not notice that their bill is getting charged up or that they don't realize they need to take extra steps to prevent the microtransactions.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Yes but when you have 3 kids and the easiest thing to do is hand them your phone and let them play with it, it's easy for parents to get sidetracked and not notice that their bill is getting charged up or that they don't realize they need to take extra steps to prevent the microtransactions.

They shouldn't blame the dev in those situations than... it's up to them to not make mistakes like that.

GGG

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

yh, IOS requires password for that stuff, but still not good enough for EU rules, google will make a big mvoe with this, sounds good for me.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Yeah it says "This app offers in-app purchases" or something. 

Google play store also has this, it's below the "FREE" second of the store page.

EDIT: also people are morons. There's an option to disable saving password for purchases which make it so you are required to put in a password each time you purchase anything, in the store AND in-app purchases. I know because I do this all the time. People are just stupid and this will just end up being really annoying when I want to try out a "free" game and have to put my password in even though I'm not buying anything.... Stupid people... ruin it for everyone else.

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD