What do you prefer driving, automatic or stick?

terrytek

That or teach her how to properly, freaking drive. I saw a woman doing her makeup while driving - I am not kidding. Another time, a woman looked right and drove out of her driveway without looking left; I stopped, she freaked out and then drove on by. On my high school parking lot, I was almost hit by not one, but two people within seconds: one girl just didn't give a flying frick who was driving and still drove while I swerved to the other "lane" and one guy was decent enough to stop in panic. Ever had someone tailgate a person about to turn and suddenly swerve around that person? I almost hit someone at 40 MPH (64.5 KM/H) because of that even though I was about a car space away from the idiot and on a 35 MPH (56 KM/H) road. Just recently, I saw someone swerve into the incoming lane just to avoid a parked construction vehicle whose driver saw us and parked into a parking lane. There was no reason to swerve into incoming traffic - luckily there was none - when the parked vehicle is nowhere near you. This happens all the time where people swerve or come close to other lanes despite being far away from parked vehicles. Also, you're supposed to be able to turn well while driving slowly. Not with this lady who was driving under the limit and made a wide turn. And making U-turns in the middle of a freeway intersection is stupid.

UTURNS IN A FREEWAY? That is totally wrong. Yeah, but still, it's almost impossible to teach my girlfriend how to drive, even if she is Asian. Even my mom drives better than her, and she can be a nervous wreck on the streets.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I do plan throwing the Vortec supercharger on it when I have the money to do a rebuild and install. I got my trucklet for next to free because it was my grandmothers before mine, and her mom's before it was hers, so its got 120K of granny miles on it. TBH I've never liked the look of the xtreme version but none the less they are badass street trucks, but that's all they'll ever be. For me I need to be able to go out to my boss's farm (I do groundkeeping on the weekends with my uncle as a weekend job to my weekday job) and not be afraid of popping the sideskirts off the body panels when I go over a bump that's bigger than it looks. I do LOVE my S10 though. 

Yeah, supercharging can have some significant power gains. I recently installed a Jackson Racing supercharger in my Acura Integra, and it gained as much as 30 horsepower at 4K RPM. Unfortunately, the car has 400K miles on it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

UTURNS IN A FREEWAY? That is totally wrong. Yeah, but still, it's almost impossible to teach my girlfriend how to drive, even if she is Asian. Even my mom drives better than her, and she can be a nervous wreck on the streets.

It was on an intersection linking to a freeway though. Still horrible and dangerous. I like driving and I'd love to ride a motorcycle, but I'd move to some other nation that's not insane when it comes to driving. My brother-in-law's car was struck by a hit and run while he had it parked on the driveway. Unless I misheard, that's ridiculous. You'd have to turn into the driveway to even get near his car and even then his car is about 2 to 3 cars away since it's a duplex or something. You know what else is funny? The damage was enough for the rear bumper to be considered major damage instead of a scrape or dented.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Autogomagic all the way.  Manuals fine for a pleasure cruise in a classic car, but for everyday driving, changing gears is just another task that's not necessary.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

With manuals you can do sick burnouts.

CPU Intel Core i7-3537U @ 3.1GHz  GPU NVIDIA GEFORCE 740M  RAM 4GB DDR3  Storage 500GB 5400 RPM  DISPLAY 1366 x 768 Laptop Display MOBO Laptop MOBO  CASE Laptop Case  PSU Laptop PSU  OS Windows 8.1 x64

Not exclusive to manuals ;)

The things people do...

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

My parents drive those 5 cars. We have a 2010 Corolla, a 2002 Protege, a 2001 MPV (which is a total shitbag), a 1998 Acura Integra DC5 (soon gonna be mine), and a 1998 Toyota Supra MKIV.

I'm still holding out hope that I'll somehow fall into possession of a motor vehicle without having to shell out my cash for it... Maybe I have a wealthy uncle I don't know about?!

Probably not.

Do not  as I  do, and  not  as I say. Instead do as you may..

HSS Revenir: CPU=i7 5960x @4.5GHz Heatsink=Corsair H100i MOBO=ROG Rampage 5 RAM=Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB @3000MHz SSD=Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB GPU=R9 295x2 PSU=Corsair AX1500i OS=Windows 7 Ultimate

manual>automatic. automatics make me feel retarded and they have a mind of their own, they seem to change whenever and are really slow to change gear and kick down.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

What do you guys prefer driving, automatic or stick? Even though I can't personally drive yet, I already know that stick would be better because I can control the power band of the engine using one hand. Plus, it sounds more awesome. Automatic sounds boring and monotonous. Sad part is, I have 5 cars, but only 1 is stick. Plus, you get better fuel economy with stick shift because you don't have your foot on the gas all the time, unlike auto. Stickshift is for real men. So, what do you like better?

Even Though I legally Can't Drive Yet, I Still Prefer Driving Stick Shift Because

1. Lesser Chance of Getting you Car Stolen Because Most Modern Americans Don't know How To Drive Stick shift :D

2. Sound More Sick With My Muffler on

3. You Can Save Gas

4. Lessens Boredom while Driving 

5. Real Men Drive With 3 Pedals

I Love Dogs and Video Editing

Stick.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Automatic, lol.

Am i a fag or what?

/jk, nothing again homosexual people here, only against people driving automatics :P

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

This car has to be an auto, they kept breaking clutches.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

doesn't 'stick' refer to that thing that comes out from behind the steering wheel?  Much like the windshield wiper/indicator, but used for changing gears?  I see them a lot in redneck movies where they drive oversized pickups.  That's what I've always thought anyway.

Personally it's manual all the way, but when I'm an old fart I'd go auto because I hate traffic.

CPU: i7 4770K 4.2Ghz, Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty Z97x Killer, GFX: EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC ACX (x2 SLI), RAM: G.Skill 1600Mhz CAS 9 16GB, DSK Intel 530 120GB OS, Crucial M500 120GB, WD 1TB Blue, WD 1TB Green, PSU: Corsair AX1200i, Case: Obsidian 750D. 

SERVER HP ProLiant Microserver N54L, FreeNAS: ZFS, 8TB (4x 2TB WD Red), RAID Z2, 16GB ECC RAM, 1Gb/s Link Aggregated:  Running as NAS, Plex, & ownCloud

Both....I like cars that give you the option for both

Automatic is great when stuck in traffic jams or cruising in town

Manual is great for fun and having total control when flying around on country roads

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Oh, I know how bad CA traffic is. Driving on 580 every morning to work in Fremont is a pain in the ass with traffic. Gotta love that E46.

You are 14. You don't drive.

As far as my preferences go, I still prefer a manual. I enjoy driving my Xsara Picasso much more than I did my mom's BMW X1- that things automatic just sucked! It got easily confused, especially when going up the steep road I need to drive on to get home. It simply could not fully utilise its 140 HP at all.

Another automatic that was pretty lazy was our old Audi A6's Multitronic (a CVT transmission).

The only enjoyable automatic I have driven yet is the Tiptronic in our current A6. Or maybe it's just the fact that the engine has loads of diesel torque and 240 HP :P .

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Manual... Can you actually enjoy driving an automatic?

Manual... Can you actually enjoy driving an automatic?

yep, but it appears you need to be older, I just finished a 2000Km trip towing a caravan and I am so glad I have an auto.

Tbh Tiptronic is the way to go.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

yep, but it appears you need to be older, I just finished a 2000Km trip towing a caravan and I am so glad I have an auto.

Why if I may ask? And did actually enjoy driving the auto. To me your just so much less engaged with the car.

Also due to this I also think that it would actually help some people pay more attention while driving. As even though some people seem to think driving is a passive thing, its not.

When I get in a auto I still try to clutch its kinda hilarious. And last time it had been so long that I actually had to remember how to put it into drive. So thing that pisses me off with them when highway driving is when you want to go a little faster and decides it wants to downshift.

Oh I also fail at the auto's with selectable gears...

Why if I may ask? And did actually enjoy driving the auto. To me your just so much less engaged with the car.

Also due to this I also think that it would actually help some people pay more attention while driving. As even though some people seem to think driving is a passive thing, its not.

When I get in a auto I still try to clutch its kinda hilarious. And last time it had been so long that I actually had to remember how to put it into drive. So thing that pisses me off with them when highway driving is when you want to go a little faster and decides it wants to downshift.

I'd say it's purely a mindset, it takes getting used to swapping between the two. As an enthusiast I find myself fully in tune with the car, you still feel and hear everything, the only difference is you aren't changing gears.  I still feel when the motor is laboring or unbalanced, over revving or simply under powered.  EDIT: the advantage i find with an auto is that with the torque converter you can very smoothly vary the power applied to the wheels which is great for feeling and testing the drive train and undercarriage.

I have fuck all driving experience(need to get on that at some point and get off my Ls). still have never driven auto.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.