What do you prefer driving, automatic or stick?

terrytek

What do you guys prefer driving, automatic or stick? Even though I can't personally drive yet, I already know that stick would be better because I can control the power band of the engine using one hand. Plus, it sounds more awesome. Automatic sounds boring and monotonous. Sad part is, I have 5 cars, but only 1 is stick. Plus, you get better fuel economy with stick shift because you don't have your foot on the gas all the time, unlike auto. Stickshift is for real men. So, what do you like better?

You don't really get better fuel economy with an manual, most modern automatic equipped cars (dual-clutch and cvt) get a lot better fuel economy because it keeps the engine at a constant rpm in its best power band.

But i do prefer manual, in my country 90% of the population drive manual, just people with a physical disability or with a lot of money get automatic cars.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

You're not a man if you can't drive stick. 

I hate hearing crap like this. Not everyone is physically capable of operating a manual transmission.

You don't really get better fuel economy with an manual, most modern automatic equipped cars (dual-clutch and cvt) get a lot better fuel economy because it keeps the engine at a constant rpm in its best power band.

But i do prefer manual, in my country 90% of the population drive manual, just people with a physical disability or with a lot of money get automatic cars.

Well, I don't see why so many fuel-saver based cars are manual then. Heck, even a Civic CX hatch got as much as 50 MPG until it was adjusted by the EPA. It was only offered a stick, no auto.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

If one of my friend read about the roadmaster he'd fly over there and smack you xD He babies that thing like crazy.

I wish we still could use it. But it was getting rusty (water came up through the carpet since there were holes in the floor) and the differential was gone (couldn't be on the gas turning the corners). That thing had great seats (almost as good as our LeSabre).

Well, stop using American crap and try Japanese cars once in a while. My 2002 Mazda Protege has 220K on it and still runs great. Has original engine, suspension, even the clutch is still perfect.

To be fair, the body on our Skylark had 250K, engine and tranny had 350K. We just had to sell it since we got a CVPI. Then the lady that bought it got T-Boned and the car was completely totalled. She was actually extremely lucky just to get out with a few broken bones.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Well, I don't see why so many fuel-saver based cars are manual then. Heck, even a Civic CX hatch got as much as 50 MPG until it was adjusted by the EPA. It was only offered a stick, no auto.

Weight and cost are big factors.

Well because in that time most automatics were 4-spd, why do you think hybrids are mostly cvt and you do get a better epa rating in a cvt versus a 6-speed manual:

http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/specifications.aspx

6-speed: 29/37/32 MPG

CVT: 33/41/36 MPG

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

Yeah over here in the US we tend to call them 'stick shift' though NOT all manuals are stick shifts.

Also I can't drive on public roads (fun thing is you can both own and drive cars without a license, just not on public roads) but I'm leaning towards manual (specifically a stick), but I feel it's more about how the car itself handles to me.

Also you have 5 cars? But can't drive? GIVE ME ONE!!!

Do not  as I  do, and  not  as I say. Instead do as you may..

HSS Revenir: CPU=i7 5960x @4.5GHz Heatsink=Corsair H100i MOBO=ROG Rampage 5 RAM=Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB @3000MHz SSD=Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB GPU=R9 295x2 PSU=Corsair AX1500i OS=Windows 7 Ultimate

Yeah over here in the US we tend to call them 'stick shift' though NOT all manuals are stick shifts.

Also I can't drive on public roads (fun thing is you can both own and drive cars without a license, just not on public roads) but I'm leaning towards manual (specifically a stick), but I feel it's more about how the car itself handles to me.

Also you have 5 cars? But can't drive? GIVE ME ONE!!!

My parents drive those 5 cars. We have a 2010 Corolla, a 2002 Protege, a 2001 MPV (which is a total shitbag), a 1998 Acura Integra DC5 (soon gonna be mine), and a 1998 Toyota Supra MKIV.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

it's called Stick, Often referred to as Stick, because you use a Stick to select Gears 

It's called manual because you manually select the gears. I think we can all agree on what makes more sense.

"Stick" is short for "stick-shift" as in you're using the gear stick or "stick" to shift through the gears. It's slang that I think the US more than any other nation uses. Standard was used back then since almost every motor vehicle required everyone to manually shift through the gears - motorcycles, cars, trucks, construction vehicles, etc. Some people still call them standards, but it's not exactly standard anymore kind of like how sports bikes and choppers are more common than standard (upright) motorcycles. Manual and automatic are now the common terms to differentiate vehicles along with semi-automatic or sequential, electric and CVT which are both automatic, but act as types of automatic vehicles - manual electric vehicles are probably not going to exist since there's no real need.

There's also "three on the tree" and "four on the floor". I never heard of "five on the drive", "six kicks", "seven under heaven", or any other variation used for 5-speed, 6-speed, or 7-speed gearboxes. 

I drive manual by the way and I prefer driving manual. Strangely, driving automatic is becoming harder the longer I drive manual; I've kicked the floor where the clutch should be, almost shifted the gear stick in my mom's car, and I'm not used to braking entirely with just the brake pedal which leads to sharp stops occasionally. Also, it's really boring for me to drive automatic.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Assuming I wanted to enjoy driving, meaning I wouldn't have to do it often or for long periods of times, stick.

But as someone who has bad ankles, bad knees and has been stuck in traffic for literally hours driving a stick, I'd take an auto any day for city usage.

-------

Current Rig

-------

"Stick" is short for "stick-shift" as in you're using the gear stick or "stick" to shift through the gears. It's slang that I think the US more than any other nation uses. Standard was used back then since almost every motor vehicle required everyone to manually shift through the gears - motorcycles, cars, trucks, construction vehicles, etc. Some people still call them standards, but it's not exactly standard anymore kind of like how sports bikes and choppers are more common than standard (upright) motorcycles. Manual and automatic are now the common terms to differentiate vehicles along with semi-automatic or sequential, electric and CVT which are both automatic, but act as types of automatic vehicles - manual electric vehicles are probably not going to exist since there's no real need.

There's also "three on the tree" and "four on the floor". I never heard of "five on the drive", "six kicks", "seven under heaven", or any other variation used for 5-speed, 6-speed, or 7-speed gearboxes. 

I drive manual by the way and I prefer driving manual. Strangely, driving automatic is becoming harder the longer I drive manual; I've kicked the floor where the clutch should be, almost shifted the gear stick in my mom's car, and I'm not used to braking entirely with just the brake pedal which leads to sharp stops occasionally. Also, it's really boring for me to drive automatic.

I agree on your last point. I fall asleep too much in an auto car. But when I hear the car shift in a manual car, it really makes excited.

I prefer stick shift most of the time, though there are some times where i just wish i had an auto. California traffic sucks! But yeah, manual all the way. I love my e46 5 speed

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I prefer stick shift most of the time, though there are some times where i just wish i had an auto. California traffic sucks! But yeah, manual all the way. I love my e46 5 speed

Oh, I know how bad CA traffic is. Driving on 580 every morning to work in Fremont is a pain in the ass with traffic. Gotta love that E46.

I prefer stickshift on road and automatic off road, that way when you're starting and stopping when you're playing in the dirt and/or the sand, you're not giving your left leg a workout from hell. On road, stickshift is just a lot of fun running it through the gears. A redline a day keeps the carbon away.

(yes I know the powerband usually tapers off before the redline)

Lucky. My dad won't let me run even MY car up to redline.

Assuming I wanted to enjoy driving, meaning I wouldn't have to do it often or for long periods of times, stick.

But as someone who has bad ankles, bad knees and has been stuck in traffic for literally hours driving a stick, I'd take an auto any day for city usage.

I'd rather walk or run at that point. Yes, I will freaking run on the highway. At that point, I'd rather pick an auto or semi-auto, but I live in an open city that's not like New York or LA, so it's not a problem unless construction and rush hours are involved. You also put the car in neutral when stopping or use the handbrake to stop for long periods like what Europeans do, but that probably will get you into an accident since the US relies on the brake pedal almost disturbingly.

I agree on your last point. I fall asleep too much in an auto car. But when I hear the car shift in a manual car, it really makes excited.

Sigmund Freud would love to analyse your excitement when handling the gear stick.  ;)

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Oh, I know how bad CA traffic is. Driving on 580 every morning to work in Fremont is a pain in the ass with traffic. Gotta love that E46.

hey what do ya know, i commute to Fremont too haha. I take 880 though because in in the south bay.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I'd rather walk or run at that point. Yes, I will freaking run on the highway. At that point, I'd rather pick an auto or semi-auto, but I live in an open city that's not like New York or LA, so it's not a problem unless construction and rush hours are involved. You also put the car in neutral when stopping or use the handbrake to stop for long periods like what Europeans do, but that probably will get you into an accident since the US relies on the brake pedal almost disturbingly.

Sigmund Freud would love to analyse your excitement when handling the gear stick.  ;)

Yeah, when I'm a passenger, it's exciting. As a driver, it raises my testosterone.

hey what do ya know, i commute to Fremont too haha. I take 880 though because in in the south bay.

Kinda the same. Sucks Warren Ave is closed, due to construction till next year.

It's not driving in an automatic...it's steering

For the stereotypical teenage girl: it's foot on gas, eyes on phone, hands on touchscreen, and brain in La La Land. :lol:  

For the stereotypical teenage girl: it's foot on gas, eyes on phone, hands on touchscreen, and brain in La La Land. :lol:  

Oh yeah, that's how my girlfriend is all the time. She scares the crap out of me when she drives. I think i should just let her go.

What do you guys prefer driving, automatic or stick?

I prefer driving a manual, both my daily driver and weekend warrior are manuals and I wouldn't change it. Automatics have their place, but just not in my garage.

Even though I can't personally drive yet, I already know that stick would be better because I can control the power band of the engine using one hand.

Technically you control power with two feet and one hand  :rolleyes:

Plus, it sounds more awesome. Automatic sounds boring and monotonous.

Umm a driving a manual car will sound almost identical when at idle and a constant under load. The only difference you really can tell is when you let off the gas you get a nice deceleration pop from the engine slowing itself and getting rid of any un-burnt fuel which even then can happen in automatics with paddle shifters.

Sad part is, I have 5 cars, but only 1 is stick. Plus, you get better fuel economy with stick shift because you don't have your foot on the gas all the time, unlike auto. Stickshift is for real men. So, what do you like better?

The whole fuel economy is kind of not true anymore with the modern automatics and CVTs. And the whole you don't have to have your foot on the gas all the time is kind of false. In a manual you might actually have more time on the accelerator especially when at lower speeds and having to continue engaging and releasing the clutch. And please tell me your not serious with the whole a real mans car is a manual, I can't stand those arguments. 

Answers in red in the quote. 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

It wasn't my car, it was my uncle's. He has a sweet VW Cabriolet that's bright red and convertable, sweet sound system (no subs but he don't need much bass). Looks like this one. He lets me drive when we go for rides or run errands or something. He lives just down the street from me. I don't have a stickshift myself, but a 4 speed auto in my S10 that looks like this.

A pic of the same model VW my uncle has:

attachicon.gifflashback-vwcabrio89.jpg

Same model as the S10 I have:

attachicon.gifs10.jpg

My S10 is the 4.3L V6 with the 4 speed auto. Unfortunatly not the ZR2 model, so not gonna be doing any serious off roading, but it does OK trying to get over the hill to get onto the beach if you keep the tires spinning fast enough

Still, you could have gotten an Xtreme version.

Oh yeah, that's how my girlfriend is all the time. She scares the crap out of me when she drives. I think i should just let her go.

That or teach her how to properly, freaking drive. I saw a woman doing her makeup while driving - I am not kidding. Another time, a woman looked right and drove out of her driveway without looking left; I stopped, she freaked out and then drove on by. On my high school parking lot, I was almost hit by not one, but two people within seconds: one girl just didn't give a flying frick who was driving and still drove while I swerved to the other "lane" and one guy was decent enough to stop in panic. Ever had someone tailgate a person about to turn and suddenly swerve around that person? I almost hit someone at 40 MPH (64.5 KM/H) because of that even though I was about a car space away from the idiot and on a 35 MPH (56 KM/H) road. Just recently, I saw someone swerve into the incoming lane just to avoid a parked construction vehicle whose driver saw us and parked into a parking lane. There was no reason to swerve into incoming traffic - luckily there was none - when the parked vehicle is nowhere near you. This happens all the time where people swerve or come close to other lanes despite being far away from parked vehicles. Also, you're supposed to be able to turn well while driving slowly. Not with this lady who was driving under the limit and made a wide turn. And making U-turns in the middle of a freeway intersection is stupid.

Manual! I have always owned a stick until my most recent purchases.