What do you prefer driving, automatic or stick?

terrytek

What do you guys prefer driving, automatic or stick? Even though I can't personally drive yet, I already know that stick would be better because I can control the power band of the engine using one hand. Plus, it sounds more awesome. Automatic sounds boring and monotonous. Sad part is, I have 5 cars, but only 1 is stick. Plus, you get better fuel economy with stick shift because you don't have your foot on the gas all the time, unlike auto. Stickshift is for real men. So, what do you like better?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Sequential. 

Honest answer is Manual.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Stick. Especially on right hand drive cars. 

Autos can be nice too. The kickdown on a v8 merc is savage.

I've had the privilege of driving a reverse valvebody chevelle too. With the lightning rod shifters. Coolest. Thing. Ever. 

Here's an example

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Automatic master race

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

Who calls it 'stick' lol. It's often referred as Manual.

On my country 99% of the cars are Manual, so yeah.

90% of america.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I've had the privilege of driving a reverse valvebody chevelle too. With the lightning rod shifters. Coolest. Thing. Ever. 

Oh yeah. I think driving stick on a RHD car is the best setup for drifting.

Stick, because, if you can drive a Stick you will be able to drive an Auto, but if you Drive an Auto and been doing so from the day you learned to drive you most probably wont be able to drive a Stick, plus, Awesome cars aren't Auto, Apart from the Aventador and the Veiron  .

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

it's called Stick, Often referred to as Stick, because you use a Stick to select Gears 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

I believe in america everyone calls it a stick.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

Oh yeah. I think driving stick on a RHD car is the best setup for drifting.

The side you're sitting on has no effect on how well you can control the car 

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

You should feel a '70 Lesabre... Squeaks the tires, even if you're not giving it that much money.

I prefer Automatic, simply because it's one less thing I have to do. Paddle shifters would be okay (so long as I didn't have to do anything with the clutch).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I've only driven automatics because I don't have a car and I use my parents car. But I think I would like a manual better so I don't have to deal with having to put the foot down on steep hills(I live in a hilly area) and then the transmission finally decides to downshift and the car jumps forward.

Stick, because, if you can drive a Stick you will be able to drive an Auto, but if you Drive an Auto and been doing so from the day you learned to drive you most probably wont be able to drive a Stick, plus, Awesome cars aren't Auto, Aprt from the Aventador and the Veiron  .

Yeah, that's my psychology. Once you know how to drive stick, you can drive anything. Now if only I can teach my mom how to drive stick so she doesn't drive my shit minivan.

The side you're sitting on has no effect on how well you can control the car 

Uhh, kinda. I'm right handed, but since this is America, i use that hand to shift. It's hard to control with my left hand.

I can drive both

But I prefer Automatic

I am happy little Vegemite.

I prefer manual. More fun to drive, more to do than just pushing a pedal.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

I prefer manual most of the time, however long drive's having an auto is nice

Its all about those volumetric clouds

You should feel a '70 Lesabre... Squeaks the tires, even if you're not giving it that much money.

I prefer Automatic, simply because it's one less thing I have to do. Paddle shifters would be okay (so long as I didn't have to do anything with the clutch).

If we're talking 70s buics i prefer the riviera. The bodystyle of the 71 is gorgeous

Yeah, that's my psychology. Once you know how to drive stick, you can drive anything. Now if only I can teach my mom how to drive stick so she doesn't drive my shit minivan.

Uhh, kinda. I'm right handed, but since this is America, i use that hand to shift. It's hard to control with my left hand.

Oh. I've never noticed that

#Ambidexterouspeopleproblems

Depends on where and what I'm driving. For commuting, or most driving done on city streets, I'd rather have an automatic. If the road allows for spirited driving, a manual is preferred. If the automatic is good enough, I don't mind them for spirited drives either.

So I guess a good automatic is preferred to cover most driving for me. I have a pretty nice manual though.

If we're talking 70s buics i prefer the riviera. The bodystyle of the 71 is gorgeous

Yeah, try being just a right handed person for one day, and you see what I mean.

it's called Stick, Often referred to as Stick, because you use a Stick to select Gears 

It's called manual because you manually select the gears. I think we can all agree on what makes more sense.

Depends what type of Automatic: CVT, 1 Clutch, Double Clutch... But stick is still better than all of those if you're not doing hardcore professional racing (double+ clutch is better).

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Yeah, try being just a right handed person for one day, and you see what I mean.

I was xD. But i trained my left to be as good as my right.

Our LeSabre is a BEAST. Whooped a Shelby 500's ass royally.

Speaking of the Riviera, we have one of those in our backyard (68-70, forgot the exact year). Sadly, it's beyond repair. :(

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

H gearbox.

Will not drive an automatic unless it's something truly special.

Don't care for sequential double-clutch paddle gimmicks either. Give me a standard stick. I would opt for it even if it's a supercar like a DBS:

2011-aston-martin-v12-vantage-interior-v

One of the best things about classic sports cars like the NSX is that it comes in stick.

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5