Sony may add an early access program to the PS4

TopWargamer

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/11/5890619/early-access-playstation-4-sony

Steam's early access program allows players to purchase and try games that are still in active development. This allows the developers to bring in revenue that helps fund the final development of the game, while using its player-base for feedback and bug reports. Sony has now stated that it's looking at a similar system for the PlayStation 4.

"That’s one of the massive conversations we have internally — that, at what point does [a game meet standards of release]?" Sony's Adam Boyes said in an interview with Gamasutra. "We still at some point ensure that we're being mindful of the consumer. We don't want somebody to stumble across that title and expect a full product, and have a negative experience."

I personally don't think that this is a bad idea at all. I personally like Steam's early access program. I know that quite a few of you probably don't like it, and I can see why, but it really isn't that big of a deal to have an early access program. If you don't want to buy a game that's still in alpha or beta or whatever, then fine, don't buy it.

Many other people (myself included) don't mind early access games. It's a way for developers to get their game out there early and to start growing their audience. There's quite a few early access games that did this and became very popular. A few for example are MineCraft, DayZ, and Rust.

Anyways, I really hope that Sony adds early access games and whatnot to the PS4. I personally think that it's a great idea.

COMIC SANS

Your move, Microsoft

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

yay betas

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Oh, just like they did with GTA V?

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Fuck.

If theres no oversight, it just becomes a place of 5% worth buying and 95% crap that tries to pretend its in the same class as the 5%.

Just give us fucking demos again, why don't you? 

I have no problem with early access existing, if people want the choice to invest in a game that's still in development then that's up to them, it's just an added option for consumers and people who aren't interested needn't buy.

Personally I don't do early access, but I can understand people who do in some cases.

I have no problem with early access existing, if people want the choice to invest in a game that's still in development then that's up to them, it's just an added option for consumers and people who aren't interested needn't buy.

Personally I don't do early access, but I can understand people who do in some cases.

The problem is that then developers can get away with never finishing the game, or taking however long they want to finish it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Fuck.

If theres no oversight, it just becomes a place of 5% worth buying and 95% crap that tries to pretend its in the same class as the 5%.

Just give us fucking demos again, why don't you? 

That all depends on how Sony regulates the early access market. We can't start spewing out numbers just yet.

COMIC SANS

The problem is that then developers can get away with never finishing the game, or taking however long they want to finish it.

But if people are enjoying the developer's game already, then what's the issue? It's all about having fun, isn't it?

COMIC SANS

Yes that's why I don't do it, but if people want the option it as far as I see it it isn't harming me, if the game doesn't get finished or ends up sucking then I don't buy it.

But if people are enjoying the developer's game already, then what's the issue? It's all about having fun, isn't it?

I can't tell you... how annoying it is... to get a good early access game... and watch it die without being finished.

I'd rather not have the option at all if it means the game actually gets completed.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Incomplete games with infinite development cycles! They need to change the idea of early access. Some of these games aren't even betas, since they never really finish the game anyway. Maybe if the system included a due date with a list of features that WILL be implemented by that time. They just need to change the idea.

it's fun, until you realize you've played the game for a few months and a ton of game breaking bugs haven't been resolved yet.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

i only bought an early access game once

and regret it to this day

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I know they want to accommodate indies, sadly by accommodating their worst practices like early access, but it's only a matter of weeks before either EA or Ubisoft announce an early access title that will still have dlc, season passes and microtransactions. 

I even have the name for it, it will be called "Fuck you: the videogame"

-------

Current Rig

-------

Incomplete games with infinite development cycles! They need to change the idea of early access. Some of these games aren't even betas, since they never really finish the game anyway. Maybe if the system included a due date with a list of features that WILL be implemented by that time. They just need to change the idea.

I think they should finish the game codewise, as in remove all game-breaking bugs, make sure it's perfectly playable as it would be t launch, THEN enter early access and ask the community to give their opinion on what content they'd like to see added. A bit like starcraft 2 betas, the game works aside from minor bugs that get sniped pretty quickly and the only goal of the beta is to balance the game.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I even have the name for it, it will be called "Fuck you: the videogame"

Nonono, it's called "bf4".

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Why not I guess.

One good thing about console gamers in my book is that they haven't been exposed to early access so they don't yet treat them as simply games that you can play before release like it's a complete bloody title.

Most pc gamers In my opinion do this.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Nonono, it's called "bf4".

With BF4 they could at least be shamed into patching it, with an "early access" one they can just say "Oh it's early access we'll look into it" laugh and move on to another "early access" without ever fixing shit.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I hope they have them labeled clearly.

Otherwise, this makes me NOT want to buy a PS4 even more.