Rate the Photo Above you

13 minutes ago, White_Helix said:

10/10 for the face. I would like the whole car better, maybe even a b&w version? Focus looks a bit off, overall I would say 6/10.

Fuji X-E2 with 50mm f2 Rikenon from 1988.

20170402-2017_0402_12274100-01.jpg

Looks good (I like it), depth of field and bokeh

For me the center of the picture is missing like a stick Insect or did I miss it?

over all 7/10

Tower Brige 1-2_5.jpg

On 4/2/2017 at 6:47 PM, Bsmith said:

33601037576_5ccf8293cd_b.jpg

thommy saltzherr, on Flickr

extra internet points for who ever can find my 2 editing mistakes that I got away with until now.

Looks like an OK photo. Hard to say what sort of editing mistakes you made.  Mind sharing a before photo?

On 4/2/2017 at 8:44 PM, cc143 said:

SSE Hydro-1-2.jpg

A good photo but...

1. the right side of the photo, the building is a bit too close to the edge.
  2. The framing is half/half, top half building, bottom half the outdoor tiles/ground.
  3. There is a line that leads towards the building, in the middle bottom area.  However you also have two competing lines that go side to side.
  4. Annoying white marks in the foreground.
5 hours ago, cc143 said:

That's what I was going for, but after half an hour of smoking at the same spot I realised I'd rather not get lung cancer waiting for the sun to set;P

The amount of times I've sacrificed sleep, meals, weekends, etc... to be there at the right time to get the shot.

8 hours ago, Spawn0202 said:

@ cc143

9/10 good one i think at night with more lights is a option

IMG_0032.JPG

Nice snapshot but...

1. Should've waited or moved a bit so that the top left corner of the front of the tram isn't being blocked by the support beams.  In fact, you should find an angle or position where it doesn't get in the frame.
  2. Overcast sky in the top right area, or perhaps a bit of over exposure on that side that could potentially be recovered in post using an adjustment brush.
5 hours ago, cc143 said:

4th of April Street-7.jpg

If you want to do automotive photography, at least go ask the owner (the guy in the car?) for permission to take a photo of his car and get better angles.  And better coverage.  Don't just take a quick snapshot of a car you see in the street, take your time to work the scene.

1 hour ago, White_Helix said:

20170402-2017_0402_12274100-01.jpg

What's the focus of this photo, the dead leave on the branch or the tons of white flowers or the branches?

48 minutes ago, Spawn0202 said:

Tower Brige 1-2_5.jpg

Not bad, this is a good photo.  But keep in mind that tons of people have taken photos of the same thing before.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

33 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:
  1. the right side of the photo, the building is a bit too close to the edge.
  2. The framing is half/half, top half building, bottom half the outdoor tiles/ground.
  3. There is a line that leads towards the building, in the middle bottom area.  However you also have two competing lines that go side to side.
  4. Annoying white marks in the foreground.

The amount of times I've sacrificed sleep, meals, weekends, etc... to be there at the right time to get the shot.

If you want to do automotive photography, at least go ask the owner (the guy in the car?) for permission to take a photo of his car and get better angles.  And better coverage.  Don't just take a quick snapshot of a car you see in the street, take your time to work the scene.

I didn't wan't to overdo it on the angle to avoid extreme distortion, I may crop it if it doesn't end up being too weird of an aspect ratio. 

I'm not saying you shouldn't expect to wait for long periods, I'm saying that in this particular instance I run out of time, I was already out for 3 hours and only expected to go out for 1hr to unwind. 

It's not supposed to be automotive photography, this is (supposed to be) street photography, I took my camera with me today and just shot while walking home. The car isn't meant to be the subject, its supposed to be the entire scene. So I didn't really have the time to ask for permission and it would kind of defeat the purpose. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

On 2-4-2017 at 10:44 PM, cc143 said:

Its a nice image 8/10, The outline of the bird seems a bit botched if you used a brush around it, but that's my only insight.

I had to bring down the brightness background a fair bit within photoshop, I did make the mistakes with that yes.

11 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Looks like an OK photo. Hard to say what sort of editing mistakes you made.  Mind sharing a before photo?

of course, here you go.

58e49bd716729_originalcopy.thumb.jpg.9209578fcbe9b2aef6500eea8a6edcf5.jpg

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

13 hours ago, Bsmith said:

I had to bring down the brightness background a fair bit within photoshop, I did make the mistakes with that yes.

What's wrong with bringing down the brightness of the background in PS?  Compared to your "before" version, I kinda prefer the "after" version which reduces the distracting elements in the background.  This way, your audience pays more attention to the bird.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

5 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

What's wrong with bringing down the brightness of the background in PS?  Compared to your "before" version, I kinda prefer the "after" version which reduces the distracting elements in the background.  This way, your audience pays more attention to the bird.

it is indeed, but the mistake I made was in the selection/layering process, where I took a few parts of the bird along with that, something that isn't corrected in the posted (and edited)shot. it's a small thing nobody noticed so far I know.

Just now, Bsmith said:

it is indeed, but the mistake I made was in the selection/layering process, where I took a few parts of the bird along with that, something that isn't corrected in the posted (and edited)shot. it's a small thing nobody noticed so far I know.

Try using LR's adjustment brush next time, the auto masking functionality in LR is fantastic.

Just now, AkiraDaarkst said:

Try using LR's adjustment brush next time, the auto masking functionality in LR is fantastic.

ahh dang, I keep forgetting LR has that build in too! thanks for the reminder.

Tower Brige 1-2_5.jpg

7/10 - I really like this photo.

D4IL6qG.jpg

Stirling Falls, Milford Sounds/Piopiotahi

- Shot on my LG G3

- Edited in Google Photos app

Original Image:

LJQX5UQ.jpg

This is my first real venture into any photo editing, so any and all feedback is welcome. In all honesty I cant really decide whether I like the original or the edited picture more, which is why I included both.

2 minutes ago, Adrian_ said:

Tower Brige 1-2_5.jpg

7/10 - I really like this photo.

D4IL6qG.jpg

Stirling Falls, Milford Sounds/Piopiotahi

- Shot on my LG G3

- Edited in Google Photos app

Original Image:

LJQX5UQ.jpg

This is my first real venture into any photo editing, so any and all feedback is welcome. In all honesty I cant really decide whether I like the original or the edited picture more, which is why I included both.

Edited is better, it brings back some details on the left mountain's highlights and darkens the right side shadows a bit that adds more depth.  But you need to deal with the purplish cast.  If you are really interested in photography, get a proper camera.

@AkiraDaarkst I thought the same about the purple tinge so I spent another 5 minutes tinkering and I've come up with an image im much happier with:

wNAKTBd.jpg

Edit:

Also Im hopefully getting an 80d a bit later this year.

4 hours ago, Adrian_ said:

@AkiraDaarkst I thought the same about the purple tinge so I spent another 5 minutes tinkering and I've come up with an image im much happier with:

wNAKTBd.jpg

Edit:

It has improved a bit.

OK, I hope will get one.  The 80D is a nice camera, should be more than quite a handful for a beginner but you can grow into it.

7 hours ago, Adrian_ said:

wNAKTBd.jpg

Edit:

The edit looks better without the purple cast, however I would try to fix the sky. You made it kinda gray and muddy imo. I preffered the clearer white of the original, but editing is just personal prefference. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

11 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

The edit looks better without the purple cast, however I would try to fix the sky. You made it kinda gray and muddy imo. I preffered the clearer white of the original, but editing is just personal prefference. 

I doubt it can be edited too much, this is a photo taken with a phone camera.  I agree that there's room for improvement, a lot of room, but it would be better if the photo had been originally captured with a better camera, in RAW for the most flexibility.

Well not exactly sure who to quote, so I'll just leave this here. Went out with a buddy of mine around downtown Phoenix and grabbed this one. Tweaked the colors a good bit, I love shooting in raw :D Also I have a lil piece of hair on my sensor, top right corner. I remember @ALwin recommending a little squeezable sensor cleaner, but I don't know if I should actually buy one or see if I can borrow one from a friend.

Canon T5, kit 18-55 glass 

• 1/400
  • F 13
  • ISO 100

IMG_3946.JPG

ASU

29 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Well not exactly sure who to quote, so I'll just leave this here. Went out with a buddy of mine around downtown Phoenix and grabbed this one. Tweaked the colors a good bit, I love shooting in raw :D Also I have a lil piece of hair on my sensor, top right corner. I remember @ALwin recommending a little squeezable sensor cleaner, but I don't know if I should actually buy one or see if I can borrow one from a friend.

For the sensor dust, the first thing you should try is using something like a Giottos Rocket Blower.  Open the camera shutter for cleaning the sensor, hold the camera with the sensor facing down.  Then, taking care not to touch the sensor with any part of the blower, use it to blow away any loose dust particle.

rdx_3108.jpg

Take a test photo to see if there are any dust remaining.  If there are any dust that persists, you should get a sensor cleaning pen with a silicon tip.

https://photographylife.com/product/sensor-gel-stick/

9 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

For the sensor dust, the first thing you should try is using something like a Giottos Rocket Blower.  Open the camera shutter for cleaning the sensor, hold the camera with the sensor facing down.  Then, taking care not to touch the sensor with any part of the blower, use it to blow away any loose dust particle.

Personally I'd be scared to do anything more than blow air at it... actually touching the sensor could go badly if done improperly :/ 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

57 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Personally I'd be scared to do anything more than blow air at it... actually touching the sensor could go badly if done improperly :/ 

You're not really ever touching the sensor.  There is a hot mirror filter above it.  That's what you're actually cleaning.

3 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

You're not really ever touching the sensor.  There is a hot mirror filter above it.  That's what you're actually cleaning.

Actually there is a low pass filter, an IR filter and another low pass filter above it.

So you are actually cleaning the low pass filter.

And yes cleaning the low pass filter can go terribly wrong. 

49 minutes ago, .spider. said:

Actually there is a low pass filter, an IR filter and another low pass filter above it.

So you are actually cleaning the low pass filter.

And yes cleaning the low pass filter can go terribly wrong. 

I've heard of the IR filter now that you mention it.  and I know some have an AA filter too or something... so would what you're touching not depend on the model of camera?  It seems each are a bit different...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I've heard of the IR filter now that you mention it.  and I know some have an AA filter too or something... so would what you're touching not depend on the model of camera?  It seems each are a bit different...

It depends on the design and model of the camera.  DSLRs, being larger than compact cameras (e.g. compare a Nikon D500 to a Sony A6500), can have 2-3 layers of separate filters while a compact mirrorless will have perhaps 1 or 2 separate layers of filters at max.  The Sony A6500 for example has only 1 piece of glass filter above the sensor but that glass filter is actually laminated with several layers to reduce IR and act as an AA filter (if any is needed) and also as the ultrasonic dust removal system.  A Nikon DSLR on the other hand has about 2 layers of glass filters.  One that is immediately above the sensor and acts as an IR reduction filter and perhaps Anti Aliasing (though with the D800E and D810, the AA filtration has been modified such that it could be said there is no AA or simply removed) and another glass filter on top that also reduces IR but is mainly the ultra sonic dust removal system.

I've taken apart several old DSLRs and my A6500 to modify for IR photography.

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Here's a typical filter inside a Sony mirrorless, the A6300.  The filter inside the A6500 is bonded to the sensor mount so it cannot be removed for IR conversion (I still need to get an A6300 for conversion but spent a lot of money on a new workstation and other equipment).

The black piece is a piece of metal frame that holds the sensor and filter together in place on the sensor mount.

sony-a6300-infrared-conversion-tutorial-

The green/purple tinged glass piece is the filter and you can see the wire connected to it that connects to the circuit board for the ultra sonic dust removal system.

sony-a6300-infrared-conversion-tutorial-

Here's an inside look at Nikon cameras.  D300s and D90.  You'll see that the filter with the anti dust removal system wires is a separate panel from the glass piece that can be considered the primary low pass filter.  In newer models the anti dust filter is also coated and laminated to help the low pass filter in reducing IR.

nikon-d300s-infrared-conversion-tutorial

The Anti Aliasing filter should be part of this low pass filter, one of the laminated layers.  In a Nikon D800E and D810 and perhaps any successor in this line of cameras that AA filter will either be removed or a modified version that reverses the AA effect.

Nikon-d90-infrared-conversion-tutorial-1

If you want to see the insides of other camera models.

https://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/infrared-diy-tutorials

I lost track of which was the last photo... but the past few were all awesome xD

Here is mine ;3 Rotten Tomatoes

CONSTANZA TRIP-5.jpg

9 hours ago, Marxtiz said:

I lost track of which was the last photo... but the past few were all awesome xD

Here is mine ;3 Rotten Tomatoes

CONSTANZA TRIP-5.jpg

Not easy to do I think it lacks colure.

A makro of the rotten tomatos would be better to see the degradation of the tomato.

can you give a bit of context? Is this on a  tomato field?

i will give you 5/10

Tupolev TU 144

Sinsheim Germany

IMG_0020-1.JPG