Rate the Photo Above you

20 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I find the vignetting from the lens to be beyond artistic and more just problematic... it's so intensely black in the corners, and being a landscape, there's no one central thing to draw attention to so it's not an effect that works for me personally.  The horizon also seems to be quite noticeably off-level. I do quite like the mood of the scene though :)

Ok, here's one of mine

I think this is some type of Chinese dragon from the new year. I like the photo overall, It's sharp and it is something that made me double take to take another look at. Properly exposed and interesting. Great photo!

eli-4.jpg

1 hour ago, mama_fluxus said:

I think this is some type of Chinese dragon from the new year. I like the photo overall, It's sharp and it is something that made me double take to take another look at. Properly exposed and interesting. Great photo!

More like a lion's head, dragon heads have a different design.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

On 14.2.2017 at 6:41 AM, mama_fluxus said:

Great Photo! Cant really complain about other things than I think the person is staring at the camera to much, like the person looks for me to be little bit dead or scared. like the eyes doesnt look  natural.  I hope you get what I mean. some might disagree. 

9/10

From your good photo to my bad photo, I want criticism:

32846226101_7e8fa5b50c_o.jpgSnowy Trees by Mihle Photography, on Flickr

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

could use a little bit longer exposure to light up the background. i assume you going for a moody scheme with the photo, but a bit more light and contrast in the background could add some  more drama to the photo. 7/10

Here is mine. Yaquina Head Lighthouse, OR

16299831_10208521896149641_6242100025969209974_o.jpg

I think the photo is really well taken and has a great sense of freshness and I think the photo makes the lighthouse really stand out. I rate 10/10

heres my photo

taken while I was hiking with friends 

IMG_1117.JPG

#BudgetMasterRace

CPU: Pentium G4560  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400mhz  CASE: NZXT S340  POWER SUPPLY: EVGA 500B MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B250M-DS3H  STORAGE: 1tb Wd Blue 7200rpm hdd  MOUSE: Redragon M711 Cobra Chroma RGB 

KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe  MICROPHONE: Blue Snowball  DISPLAY: Dell S2440L 1080p 60hz  HEADPHONES: Audio Technica ATH-M30X's

On 2/22/2017 at 8:42 PM, Zeke_ said:

I think the photo is really well taken and has a great sense of freshness and I think the photo makes the lighthouse really stand out. I rate 10/10

heres my photo

IMG_1117.JPG

0/10

What value does this photo have?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

On 22.2.2017 at 9:42 PM, Zeke_ said:

heres my photo

I'm guessing this is a phone picture. It's obviously not the greatest quality - it seems like you were a bit shaky when taking the picute. You could get a bit lower and point at the stream (removing the path on the left). Try resting your phone on your knee or holding it with both hands with your elbows tucked to your upper body :)

DSC_0615-Bearbeitet.jpg

Fanboys, on both sides, are quite embarrassing. How can one be a "fan" of a company? A companies only goal is to make a profit off you. Instead of being a smart consumer and base your purchase decision on the best price / performance you choose to dick yourself over by only considering brand X. Idiotic loss to be honest.

~Quibiss

3 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

0/10

What value does this photo have?

Thx 

#BudgetMasterRace

CPU: Pentium G4560  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400mhz  CASE: NZXT S340  POWER SUPPLY: EVGA 500B MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B250M-DS3H  STORAGE: 1tb Wd Blue 7200rpm hdd  MOUSE: Redragon M711 Cobra Chroma RGB 

KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe  MICROPHONE: Blue Snowball  DISPLAY: Dell S2440L 1080p 60hz  HEADPHONES: Audio Technica ATH-M30X's

3 hours ago, Zeke_ said:

Thx 

Well, I'll try to point out some things I would try to improve:

• It's out of focus
  • It's blurred, due seemingly both due to camera shake and the contents moving
  • It doesn't seem to really be of anything... what is the subject?  The story this tells is that you snapped a pic by accident while you were walking across the river.

Trying to be constructive here: Finding something interesting, then framing it in a particular way would go a long way.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, I'll try to point out some things I would try to improve:

• It's out of focus
  • It's blurred, due seemingly both due to camera shake and the contents moving
  • It doesn't seem to really be of anything... what is the subject?  The story this tells is that you snapped a pic by accident while you were walking across the river.

Trying to be constructive here: Finding something interesting, then framing it in a particular way would go a long way.

Aside from the technical things you've point out, I want to add: think about the feelings, the ideas, the story that the photo is supposed to be telling.  A good photo doesn't necessarily have to be technically perfect (i.e. sharp, in focus, no noise, perfect exposure), if it can make whoever looks at the photo stare at it and become absorbed.  Like walking around and looking at paintings in an art gallery, if the exhibit is boring the visitor will move past it without giving a second thought but if the exhibit is interesting the visitor may stand there looking at it for a long time.

Beautiful shot I love the colours and composition but if you waited a little longer for the sun to completely set you wouldn't have the blown out highlights from the sun. 7/10

IMG_9434.JPG

You could have cut the photo a bit on top so that there is less of the sky visible and the horizon is not completely straight. I like the composition 8.5/10

Sunset2.jpg

would be interesting If you move your camera a little to the right to get some highlight on the tree trunk. Overall, a nice capture. 8/10

15577963_10208150804152573_3745259293326911100_o.jpg

3 hours ago, Lewiscpullan said:

Beautiful shot I love the colours and composition but if you waited a little longer for the sun to completely set you wouldn't have the blown out highlights from the sun. 7/10

IMG_9434.JPG

It's a snapshot of (I assume) a friend?  I don't think I can even call this "street photography", there's no story here.  It's literally just a snapshot.  0/10 judging by photographic value, but as a snapshot, it's a pretty decent one to capture a memory of your friend looking at the Statue of Liberty or whatever else is interesting out there.

To quote a discussion of what a Snapshot is vs a Good Photo:

"Snapshots are personal. They record a personal history and are very important for that reason, but only to people who know the people and places in the photos. Technical quality is less important than capturing the people and place in time. ...

Good photos grab anyone’s attention without any personal or other history. They speak for themselves. Ideally they take an interesting subject and highlight what makes the subject interesting through selective focus, contrast, etc. ...

19 minutes ago, H4nn3s said:

You could have cut the photo a bit on top so that there is less of the sky visible and the horizon is not completely straight. I like the composition 8.5/10

Sunset2.jpg

Looks interesting, needs a LOT LOT LOT more work.  2/10

11 minutes ago, gitfukbubbi said:

would be interesting If you angle your camera a little to the right to get some highlight on the tree trunk. Overall, a nice capture. 8/10

15577963_10208150804152573_3745259293326911100_o.jpg

Looks like someone used an Instacrap filter.  It's a nice idea to play with selective coloring, and might hold value if one looked at it symbolically. 3/10.

@H4nn3s There seems to be quite a lot of potential in that shot. 

Here's a couple I took on Monday at university, I has some time to spare between lectures. (had to really decrease quality from LR to fit within the 20mbs, I hope they don't turn out too bad). 

We should start a petition with admins for larger file allowances on here. 

Πανεπιστήμιο 27 Φεβ-1-2.jpg

Πανεπιστήμιο 27 Φεβ-1.jpg

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

1 hour ago, cc143 said:

Here's a couple I took on Monday at university, I has some time to spare between lectures. (had to really decrease quality from LR to fit within the 20mbs, I hope they don't turn out too bad). 

5/10 I'm being kinda harsh on you but really there is so small misstakes that they shouldn't be done. The first one the composition can be fixed just looking slightly more to the right or taking some step forward. That slight empty space to the left is disturbing. 

The second one, dude stand in the middle and take a straight shot. It ruins the whole shot for me but all other looks great, except the uneven comp. 

All other aspects as exposure and so are fine. Just small composition errors imo. 

Heres mine, a shot from skiing two weeks ago. 

IMG_0869.JPG

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

23 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

5/10 I'm being kinda harsh on you but really there is so small misstakes that they shouldn't be done. The first one the composition can be fixed just looking slightly more to the right or taking some step forward. That slight empty space to the left is disturbing. 

The second one, dude stand in the middle and take a straight shot. It ruins the whole shot for me but all other looks great, except the uneven comp. 

All other aspects as exposure and so are fine. Just small composition errors imo. 

IMG_0869.JPG

I am aware of those things, but there's nothing I can do after the fact, I'm looking more for things that could be corrected in post which is what I'm mostly trying to work on right now. Its things I could do in photoshop or lightroom to improve the images I'm looking for, the first I guess your criticism could be addressed with a bit of cropping, although the objective was to some extent to get as much of the building as possible in the frame. 

Still, thank you for pointing them out. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

3 minutes ago, cc143 said:

I am aware of those things, but there's nothing I can do after the fact, I'm looking more for things that could be corrected in post which is what I'm mostly trying to work on right now. Its things I could do in photoshop or lightroom to improve the images I'm looking for, the first I guess your criticism could be addressed with a bit of cropping, although the objective was to some extent to get as much of the building as possible in the frame. 

Still, thank you for pointing them out. 

Some cropping and straigtening of lines may do some for it but now after it is hard to correct completley. However you can do a lot of other fun editing on the images though. 

I'm personally trying to learn how to do more advanced editing in photoshop. I feel like I have most things covered in Lightroom. Kinda want to learn more advanced stuff in Ps now as I mostly use very basic stuff and some very simple masks. 

16 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

It's a snapshot of (I assume) a friend?  I don't think I can even call this "street photography", there's no story here.  It's literally just a snapshot.  0/10 judging by photographic value, but as a snapshot, it's a pretty decent one to capture a memory of your friend looking at the Statue of Liberty or whatever else is interesting out there.

To quote a discussion of what a Snapshot is vs a Good Photo:

Looks interesting, needs a LOT LOT LOT more work.  2/10

Looks like someone used an Instacrap filter.  It's a nice idea to play with selective coloring, and might hold value if one looked at it symbolically. 3/10.

Well the first photo, no more than what I said.

The second photo, definitely has potential but needs lots of work.  I view the photos on a wide gamut 10-bit monitor that's color calibrated, if the photographer applies Ansel Adams' Zone System properly and of course playing around with moving the composition a bit, the photo can improve.

The third photo, with selective coloring, it's a gimmick.  If the photo doesn't have the potential to look good when it's in full color, it probably won't improve that much when selective coloring is used.

Here's an example of a photo (I found online) that would work both in full color and with selective color (in this case red).  It looks like an amazing photo already in full color, the selective coloring just makes it even better.

photoshop-selective-color.jpg

2 hours ago, cc143 said:

First photo, the first thing that comes to mind that it's too much centered (especially on the vertical axis).  But it's a good photo.

Second photo, I recommend exposure bracketing and perhaps a 2-3 or more exposure subtle HDR next time.  Highlights blown out in the outdoor lights.

47 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

IMG_0869.JPG

Good photo, but this may be better if you could've zoomed in more to the skier.  Make him fill out a bit more of the frame.

26 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

First photo, the first thing that comes to mind that it's too much centered (especially on the vertical axis).  But it's a good photo.

Second photo, I recommend exposure bracketing and perhaps a 2-3 or more exposure subtle HDR next time.  Highlights blown out in the outdoor lights.

Good photo, but this may be better if you could've zoomed in more to the skier.  Make him fill out a bit more of the frame.

Yea, its always a bit hard but it is defentivly something I could improve. Its something you need to practice in field I think and read whats going to happen, because it happens quickly. I do also know I have kinda blown my highlights in the mountains by exposing to much for the skier which probably could have been solved by exposing for the mountains and bringing up the shadows in post as I do have quite some DR to work with. 

1 hour ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

It was quite an overcast day, reason I didn't try bracketing is I was experimenting with exposing for the outdoor part of the image and then correcting in post, but as you can see, it didn't really work;P

2 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

Yea, its always a bit hard but it is defentivly something I could improve. Its something you need to practice in field I think and read whats going to happen, because it happens quickly. I do also know I have kinda blown my highlights in the mountains by exposing to much for the skier which probably could have been solved by exposing for the mountains and bringing up the shadows in post as I do have quite some DR to work with. 

In your photo, the main thing is the skier.  The mountains in the background are secondary.