Nvidia fans might change sides

jecho

Did you ever think that you would buy a AMD card. I didn't until I started hearing rumors that Nvidia is increasing overall prices and has lost the battle with free games. If the hd 9000 rumors are true I might have to change sides.

<p> AMD Ryzen 7 5800x l ASUS TUF X570-PLUS l G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32GB l Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX

I still don't understand the sides thing. Nvidia has cards that are better than some AMD's, and AMD has cards that are better than some Nvidia's. In the 7900 vs 600 series, I chose to go AMD because I think their cards have better price / performance.

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

there increasing price because a new gpu line coming out. do you have a link for these rumour?

nvidia has always been overpriced so what else is new. One thing we can always expect from team green is higher pricing.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

Im sorry this might offend some people but if you ever take sides with a certain company in anything, and you continue to buy their products even if they are worse than the competitor just because you like them more then you are an idiot.

PS: Exceptions do apply!

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

I still don't understand the sides thing. Nvidia has cards that are better than some AMD's, and AMD has cards that are better than some Nvidia's. In the 7900 vs 600 series, I chose to go AMD because I think their cards have better price / performance.

Well said.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

nvidia has always been overpriced so what else is new. One thing we can always expect from team green is higher pricing.

Oh look, you posted something biased against nvidia. That is one thing we can always expect from you.

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

One reason you might go NVIDIA is because of Project Shield :), not a fanboy, just stating why someone might choose NVIDIA in the future

The best way to predict the future is to invent it

Oh look, you posted something biased against nvidia. That is one thing we can always expect from you.

Not biased just the way it is facts I mean. Just to equalize AMD TressFX sucks.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

I never was much of a GPU fanboy. I think no one should buy things because they like the company that makes them. For example: Right now, you would be a moron (or uninformed) if you buy an Nvidia card. I did, because they run cooler than AMD cards. (there was also a sale on 660 ti's :P)

AMD wins this generation because they offer a very good price/performance ratio, and a bucketload of free AAA games.

You keep saying in every thread that tressFX sucks yet that doesn't cancel out the fact that you keep bashing Nvidia. Their cards aren't always overpriced, don't you remember the 460?

3x Dell U2412M |Silverstone FT03 | Maximus V Gene | 3770K @ 4.5Ghz 1.2V | SLI GTX780 | Mushkin Ridgeback 8GB 1600 CL7 | Corsair AX760

I was wondering when you were going to show up. Quick lets all take advice from the guy who uses comic sans in his signature.

Comic sans isn't that bad when you compare it to Joker. My take on the whole font-hate thing: Don't hate font. They all have flaws. 

Right now, you would be a moron (or uninformed) if you buy an Nvidia card. I did, because they run cooler than AMD cards.

Well that's a flawed metric right there and not smart decision making. All the GPUs temps are close to the same.

Thats your opinion if they are overpriced, and the other thing you said is like saying Nvidia's rear I/O sucks ( Its a non-issue, therefore it doesnt matter, TressFX is in one game )

You keep saying in every thread that tressFX sucks yet that doesn't cancel out the fact that you keep bashing Nvidia. Their cards aren't always overpriced, don't you remember the 460?

:O I don't even remember how much it cost. I do remember that the 400-series was awesome, though.

Thats your opinion if they are overpriced,

But nvidia is overpriced bacause you get less performance and have to pay more for it = OVERPRICED ! Check newegg prices.

But nvidia is overpriced bacause you get less performance and have to pay more for it = OVERPRICED ! Check newegg prices.

There was a gtx 660 2gb for 154 dollars. Is that overpriced to you?

Well thats a flowed metric right there and not smart decision making. All the GPUs temps are close to the same.

Yes, yes, I know, but the MSI power edition, which was on sale at the time, DID run cooler. 

Hey, it was cheaper than a 7950, and a few months ago, AMD had terribad drivers. Now that AMD has great drivers, I regret buying an Nvidia.

You really should avoid saying stuff like that...it makes you look bad. When the GTX460 came out it stomped everything else in its price category and on top of that it overclocked like no ones business. Nvidia have a history of selling cards that ATI basically couldn't touch (GTX280 vs 4870) albeit at a much higher price. Much like Intel who's extreme edition processors are untouchable, yet cost a ton. That doesnt mean that their mid range offerings aren't competitive, it's just this round that they are not doing as good. 

3x Dell U2412M |Silverstone FT03 | Maximus V Gene | 3770K @ 4.5Ghz 1.2V | SLI GTX780 | Mushkin Ridgeback 8GB 1600 CL7 | Corsair AX760

If this has any merit, I just started researching computer hardware (quite avidly I might add) and from what I have seen, AMD has definitely got the best performance per dollar this generation. I know that isn't everything, but you can't deny it is most important.

As far a laptop GPU's go Nvidia destroys AMD once you overclock. Try and find a 7970m with the same 3d mark scores as my 680m. I like my PhysX also. You get different things with each and that's factored into the price. For the longest time CUDA was fantastic for certain adobe products and that was factored into the price. 

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

As far a laptop GPU's go Nvidia destroys AMD once you overclock. Try and find a 7970m with the same 3d mark scores as my 680m. I like my PhysX also. You get different things with each and that's factored into the price. For the longest time CUDA was fantastic for certain adobe products and that was factored into the price. 

Also Nvidia Optimus....while it was pretty flaky at the start pretty much destroys anything AMD has to offer. The 3D vision surround ecosystem, PhysX.....

I always liked nVidia style, naming, overall position on the market with some extra cool features like physX, tesla, cuda and whatnot. Love their software side, control panel etc. Dunno, but ATI (now AMD) always felt like cheap solution when you are limited by budget in overall feel for me. 

So I know for sure id never buy AMD graphics card for myself. If nVidia card would be 20$ more expencieve for 5 less fps, i'd still buy nVidia, just cause i like it.

On the other hand, if AMD would come up with something really awesome that nVidia would not have, and the game i like so much would support it, i'd definitely go AMD

Its clear that nvidia will not drop prices, unless amd chooses to do some even crazier deals than they have right now.

facts:
Nvidia will release gtx 700 series. Only kepler refresh. Dont expect miracles or much better prices. The only thing that will drop is prices of USED graphic cards, because some people will switch to 700 series. If nvidia drops prices on 600 series considerably, we know what will happen... and if it happens, 600 series will be price/performance. Noone will buy 700 just because its new.

So it -most probalby- wont happen. If it does, i am the first to admit that Nvidia has definetly better choice than AMD. If that makes me fanboy- so be it. And i have really good reasons for saying that.

Volcanic islands 22nm fabrication proces AMD cards coming ( most probably ) the end of this year. Maxwell next year. Lets hope. Read about Nvidia having problems with it... at least they admit they having problems to public. Nice of them. Also, AMD have also great risk with releasing 9000 series so early. Alltho skipping 8000 series was wise choice. Very wise.

And i highly disagree about Nvidia overclocking better overall than AMD cards. Exceptions exist yes, but dont become fanboy because of them... actually because AMD cards overclock so good, it makes them so good P/P wise. WIthout it, Nvidia WOULD BE BETTER CHOICE 100%. Some really good reasons are posted above my post.

Nvidia will have high priced GPUs, because they have to spend on BUILDING more powerful GPUs. A titan is very advanced, and Linus has explained that the cost of the high end is mostly on the R&D, not parts. The 780 which will probably be almost exactly the same as a Titan will be cheaper because they made money off the Titan already to cover some of their R&D. There will likely be a 770 which will be lower binned 780 chips, same for the entire range.

Nvidia will still have cards in the $200, $300, $400 ranges as well as the $1000 range just like AMD will.

Now, if AMD really is making money they will be able to add to their development and could come up with something better than Nvidia, it's all about the money you can spend on development and Nvidia has had more of that the last few generations.