Nvidia fans might change sides

jecho

Hmmm I buy what I like even if it cost a bit more, so

Could never go to the dark side :) .

My build for this summer, EVGA X79 Dark, 16 gigs Corsair Platinum 1866mhz, EVGA SC TITAN,  2 Samsung 840 Pro raid 0, western digital 1tbhdd velociraptor, 1200 wt psu to be continued :)

I was an Nvidia fan. I got a 7970.

I was going to get a 660Ti for my build, but then a friend of mine stated how crippled it is and how performance was gonna degrade very soon. I was in the market for a 7950, because it cost the same and with a minor OC'ing it was faster than a 670. Then I saw a 399 deal on my card and I immediately got it. I'm surprised people are still paying 400-500 dollars on Nvidia cards when they can have BETTER performance out of AMD's cheaper cards. Not to mention you got Never Settle...

I was an Nvidia fan..

I was too, I used to think that PhysX is awesome & that CUDA was cool & that the extra I payed for my Nvidia cards was a justified premium.

nfdhbs.jpg

'm surprised people are still paying 400-500 dollars on Nvidia cards when they can have BETTER performance out of AMD's cheaper cards. Not to mention you got Never Settle...

Right ? right ? it doesn't make any sense.

23374109.jpg

I was going to get a 660Ti for my build, but then a friend of mine stated how crippled it is and how performance was gonna degrade very soon. I was in the market for a 7950, because it cost the same and with a minor OC'ing it was faster than a 670. Then I saw a 399 deal on my card and I immediately got it. I'm surprised people are still paying 400-500 dollars on Nvidia cards when they can have BETTER performance out of AMD's cheaper cards. Not to mention you got Never Settle...

I switched to AMD (Sold my 660 ti to a friend & bought a 7950 for the games) & I've never been happier ! there are a few things that you notice with AMD cards right off the bat.

#1 I can actually use Anti-Aliasing now ! without my graphics card crapping all over it-self & the performance plummeting to oblivion.

#2 I can use massive textures without the game running out of RAM & crashing, constantly !

#3 I can overclock & over-volt the heck out of the card & it will accept it gracefully !

That's the difference between you and a hardcore nVidia fan, you're open-minded enough to try an AMD card, and I'd lay good money that the performace of the surprised even you. I've argued defending ATi/AMD, and a favorite refrain from the green camp is, ",,,,but their driver suck!". I'm running three rigs, two with AMD cards and one with nV cards, and I can say that I've not had any real issue with them. Mnior ones like graphics glitches and such, yes, from both camps, neither is perfect, Try to keep an open mind about things, IF i weren't open minded, I'd never have considered an nV system in the first place. Why did I get the nV cards? Well, I wanted to try a pair of powerful nV cards, and it was around the time I was thinking of building an AMD FX system, so it all clicked into place.

I was just asked by a friend to advise her son about upgrading his system, a new DIY build. Since he was into MMO, I'd suggested an Intel 3570K + Z77 mobo, or wait for Haswell, but for GPU, he'd said he wanted to try AMD, specifically a HD7950, he could sell the bundled games and hence, pay less for the card. He's running a pair of bottom tier nV cards right now, so a HD7950 would be light years ahead in terms of sheer rendering power.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I have some Nvidia fans from Some old AGP 5500FX. I use them as a alarm sound just because anything alse does not wake me up!

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

I have some Nvidia fans from Some old AGP 5500FX. I use them as a alarm sound just because anything alse does not wake me up!

You should market that as an alarm then! :D  It's a pity you don't have a fan from the FX5800Ultra, it'd wake the entire neighborhood, I kid you not! :lol:

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

That's the difference between you and a hardcore nVidia fan, you're open-minded enough to try an AMD card, and I'd lay good money that the performace of the surprised even you. I've argued defending ATi/AMD, and a favorite refrain from the green camp is, ",,,,but their driver suck!". I'm running three rigs, two with AMD cards and one with nV cards, and I can say that I've not had any real issue with them. Mnior ones like graphics glitches and such, yes, from both camps, neither is perfect, Try to keep an open mind about things, IF i weren't open minded, I'd never have considered an nV system in the first place. Why did I get the nV cards? Well, I wanted to try a pair of powerful nV cards, and it was around the time I was thinking of building an AMD FX system, so it all clicked into place.

I was just asked by a friend to advise her son about upgrading his system, a new DIY build. Since he was into MMO, I'd suggested an Intel 3570K + Z77 mobo, or wait for Haswell, but for GPU, he'd said he wanted to try AMD, specifically a HD7950, he could sell the bundled games and hence, pay less for the card. He's running a pair of bottom tier nV cards right now, so a HD7950 would be light years ahead in terms of sheer rendering power.

Well actually I wasn't very open minded at all about it. But the AMD card just beat everything on Nvidia's side, and my friend had already lent me his old 5770 to try it out (Because my graphics card was dead at the time). I really didn't feel any difference with AMD. So that made me think that, whichever one is better, that's the best one. Brands don't matter at all. And PhysX? Leul they're all built into the game engines now anyway.

I agree with your first & second statement.

Reliability falls largely on the add in board partner, both AMD & Nvidia have fantastic exclusive & non-exclusive board partners so I disagree with you on the reliability argument, I personally owned 4 Nvidia graphics cards & 2 AMD graphics cards, 2 of the 4 Nvidia cards died one died after 6 months of use, the other died after much longer than that.

Both of my AMD cards are still working, one of which is 9 years old, the other is 5 years old.

AMD's GCN architecture has the best compute performance bar-none & they have a massive edge over Nvidia in bitcoin mining, with the 7970 out-performing the 680 by 448%.

So to state that AMD is only for gaming is completely false.

bitcoin mining hasn't been around for long, when i say workstation GPU i mean like render farm graphics cards and from my experience the Nvidia Quadro series sistered with a Tegra GPU outperform any AMD Firepro graphics card.

most people on these forums have never used a workstation graphics card or even seen one in person before, so without fully understanding every graphics card on the market and making statments that the 7970 outperforms the 680 by "448%" without proof is kind of silly.

also everyone knows that when it comes to bitcoin mining you can only go so fast so there is little point in going with most high end graphics cards.

Character artist in the Games industry.

There was ... Can you cite the source to when nvidia officially dropped the pricing on the whole GTX lineup ?

saying nvidia is overpriced truly is fanboyism there are some amd cards which are overpriced. The hd 7850 2gb is overpriced as for 10 dollars more you could get an hd 7870 2gb and an extra game or for cheaper a gtx 660 is faster. Also the hd 7790 aren't that good in price because in the same price the gtx 650 ti boost outperforms it by around 20%.

I switched to AMD (Sold my 660 ti to a friend & bought a 7950 for the games) & I've never been happier ! there are a few things that you notice with AMD cards right off the bat.

#1 I can actually use Anti-Aliasing now ! without my graphics card crapping all over it-self & the performance plummeting to oblivion.

I will attest to this ^+1. Every nvidia card I owned has had inferior IQ and AA filtering as compared to the AMD cards I have used.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

I will attest to this ^+1. Every nvidia card I owned has had inferior IQ and AA filtering as compared to the AMD cards I have used.

You mean in a generation you have owned both the AMD and Nvidia 'equivalents' and compared their AA performance? I have a 670 and it does AA just fine, but it is my first card so I can't really compare to anything.

You mean in a generation you have owned both the AMD and Nvidia 'equivalents' and compared their AA performance? I have a 670 and it does AA just fine, but it is my first card so I can't really compare to anything.

Yes in Fact the GTX 670 is the card that I compared it to. The GTX 670 look the same as the GTX 275.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

Yes in Fact the GTX 670 is the card that I compared it to. The GTX 670 look the same as the GTX 275.

What is it with the gtx 275? They look alike in aesthetics? And you mean that a 7950 with AA will take less of a performance hit than a 670 with AA?

What is it with the gtx 275? They look alike in aesthetics? And you mean that a 7950 with AA will take less of a performance hit than a 670 with AA?

Nvidia uses FXAA dastardly on the 600 series+, it requires more performance to run stably. as the 7950 doesn't use FXAA as it uses SSAA which doesn't use as much horsepower on the graphics card.

FXAA works better with tesselation

SSAA works better with textures

Nvidia uses FXAA dastardly on the 600 series+, it requires more performance to run stably. as the 7950 doesn't use FXAA as it uses SSAA which doesn't use as much horsepower on the graphics card.

So what looks nicer then? FXAA or SSAA? And can't you use FXAA for tesselation and SSAA for textures? Thanks for wanting to explain this :)

So what looks nicer then? FXAA or SSAA? And can't you use FXAA for tesselation and SSAA for textures? Thanks for wanting to explain this :)

FXAA is cleaner, but if you play a game that doesnt support tesselation (any game that is DX10 or under) then SSAA is best.

another benefit of FXAA is that when you are far away from an object is cleans the edges better and stops the stepping effect more effectively 

FXAA is cleaner, but if you play a game that doesnt support tesselation (any game that is DX10 or under) then SSAA is best.

another benefit of FXAA is that when you are far away from an object is cleans the edges better and stops the stepping effect more effectively 

So for DX11 FXAA is nicer, but the downside is that you need a lot of horsepower for it to run smooth?

So for DX11 FXAA is nicer, but the downside is that you need a lot of horsepower for it to run smooth?

yes and no, im using a GTX 660 and i have is set to max in everygame i have that supports it and i see no frame rate drops.... then again im about the competition so i have my graphics on low and my AA on max so i can see enemies better

For me , I would just choose the card within the amount I can spend , have better price/performance ratio .

For me , I would just choose the card within the amount I can spend , have better price/performance ratio .

Performance isn't everything for everyone.

Performance isn't everything for everyone.

yh, i use Nvidia cause its just easier for my work

yh, i use Nvidia cause its just easier for my work

Because of the software you use?

Because of the software you use?

yup... and i make games and i like allow people who play the games having the option of PhysX instead of havok.

also CUDA makes rendering easier for me

Did you mistaken TXAA with FXAA? The latter make texture blurry and required less power to run.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Did you mistaken TXAA with FXAA? The latter make texture blurry and required less power to run.

Yeah, just read his post and was thinking the same thought. FXAA is a painless sort of AA, takes the least framerate hit, but tends to make evetything a little blurry.