How much Vram do you really need?

Skreedles

I'm trying to decide between the 770 and the r9 280x and the thing that is stumping me is that the 770 is faster but the 280x has moire vram.

So I'm wondering if it is better to get more vram for "future proofing".

I'm trying to decide between the 770 and the r9 280x and the thing that is stumping me is that the 770 is faster but the 280x has moire vram.

280x is a better card, but don't make a decision based on vram. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

VRAM for future proofing doesn't exist, when you need more VRAM you will also need a more powerful GPU.

If the cards were the same price I'd take the 770, but they're not so if the 280X is substantially cheaper then get that.

Depends on the game, settings, and resolution. I would go for the cheaper one(probably the amd) becuase they both perform about the same. 

R9 280X is a better choice IMO.

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

280x is a better card, but don't make a decision based on vram. 

Which brand of 280x? I've heard the asus explodes burns, and makes insults involving your mother being adulterous.

Which brand of 280x? I've heard the asus explodes burns, and makes insults involving your mother being adulterous.

Sapphire.

How does one explodes burns?  :huh:

280X, Full Stop, yes the 770 is more powerful, but No, Vram amount is taking over, but still, don't compare cards based on Vram Amount

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

Sapphire, Gigabyte, MSI, PowerColor. I just bought the TOXIC version, it was on offer at €225 here in Italy. If in the USA it isn't on offer, I'd say don't get it, it costs nearly like a 290, which is a way better card. I'd say get the Sapphire Vapor-X or Tri-X.

280X, Full Stop, yes the 770 is more powerful, but No, Vram amount is taking over, but still, don't compare cards based on Vram Amount

They perform the same, the 770 wins on some games and the 280x on other, but the difference is of max 8-10fps. The 280x has Mantle which makes it abeast on BF4 and other upcoming games supporting Mantel. 

They perform the same, the 770 wins on some games and the 280x on other, but the difference is of max 8-10fps. The 280x has Mantle which makes it abeast on BF4 and other upcoming games supporting Mantel. 

yeah, you're right, it's about all rounded performance, not in just one or two games, and bout Mantle, ahhhh, i don't think it's gonna be the next big think, i mean yeah, it offers huge performance increase in BF4, only, while on the other hand, nVidia's Got devrlopers using their GameWorks, gamers are digging Shadow play and shield streaming, so i think i brings us back to all rounded up Performance and features

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

I have an Asus R9 280X DirectCU II TOP and I have no issues with it whatsoever. Extended gameplay with a high graphic game (say BF4) i never hit over 63c with it.

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

Sapphire, Gigabyte, MSI, PowerColor. I just bought the TOXIC version, it was on offer at €225 here in Italy. If in the USA it isn't on offer, I'd say don't get it, it costs nearly like a 290, which is a way better card. I'd say get the Sapphire Vapor-X or Tri-X.

In that order?

More VRAM is good if you're going for higher resolutions like 1440p.

"Rawr XD"

In that order?

Hey, where's HIS in this list? I love my IceQ X2 280X. It was actually an exchange for the first 280X I bought which was an Asus Matrix and one of the fans was faulty :(

"Rawr XD"

Hey, where's HIS in this list? I love my IceQ X2 280X. It was actually an exchange for the first 280X I bought which was an Asus Matrix and one of the fans was faulty :(

Oh I forgot it. Thay are great, especially their 7950 and 7970 where so damn great.

I have an Asus R9 280X DirectCU II TOP and I have no issues with it whatsoever. Extended gameplay with a high graphic game (say BF4) i never hit over 63c with it.

The Asus 280x has artifracting problems in a lot of cards, and they aren't doing much to fix it :/

In that order?

That isn't the order from best to worst, I just listed the best manufacturers in general.

The Asus 280x has artifracting problems in a lot of cards, and they aren't doing much to fix it :/

guess i got a lucky card, never had that issue

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

According to GPU-Z, my VRAM usage peaks to 2446MB when playing Arma 3. I have an XFX R9 280X with 3GB GDDR5, so VRAM is never really an issue.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Which ones would be the top then?

top on my list

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-100363vx2sr

Sapphire Vapor X

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-axr9280x3gbd5t2dheoc

PowerColor TurboDuo

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-r9280xgaming3g

MSI Twin Frozr Gaming 280X

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I see most games never get near 2700mb at 1080p but nothing higher than 3gb

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm