VIA Readying New 64-bit x86 CPU

qwertywarrior

its been a LONG time since via released something new

almost 5 years i think

http://www.techpowerup.com/202809/via-readying-new-64-bit-x86-processor-to-take-on-intel-bay-trail-and-amd-kabini.html

looks good but whats the TDP............

16a.jpg
Only the third active licencee of Intel's x86 machine architecture, VIA Technology, is readying its first x86 processor in years, codenamed Isaiah II. This chip is based on a brand new 64-bit x86 core design by VIA and the engineering team it acquired from Centaur Technology, another erstwhile x86 licencee, and features modern instruction sets such as AVX 2.0. VIA began sampling a quad-core processor based on Isaiah II, which was put to live test by the company, at its InfoComm 2014 booth. It was compared to Intel's "Bay Trail" Atom and AMD's "Kabini" Athlon chips. It turns out that the Isaiah II is pretty good, if it comes out soon enough.

The Isaiah II based quad-core chip, featuring 2.00 GHz clock speeds, and 2 MB of L2 cache, was put through SANDRA. The BGA chip was running on a VIA-made motherboard, with its own VIA VX11H chipset. It was compared to AMD Athlon 5350 (quad-core "Jaguar" with 2.05 GHz clocks), and Intel Atom Z3770 (quad-core "Silvermont" with 2.40 GHz clocks). The results are tabulated below. At 2.00 GHz, armed with the latest multimedia and cryptography instruction-sets, VIA's chip is faster than Intel's in most tests, despite lower clocks. It trades blows - and wins - against AMD's chip, in most tests. VIA is expected to launch the first chips based on Isaiah II in late-August, 2014. VIA is hedging its bets with efficient compact PCs, kiosks, and digital signage, with its new chip.

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

A new x86 manufacturer would be very cool indeed.

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

Hmmm I would definitely like to see a 3rd company to make CPUs and GPUs to rival Intel and AMD and nVidia. The market needs to be shaken up a bit. However I don't see VIA to beat Intel. Then again I don't know much about VIA since this is the first time I've heard of them.

Project Restomod (In progress)

Sweet

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

A new x86 manufacturer would be very cool indeed.

not new

via is an old company :)

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Wish they would do this more. I tend to forget they exist. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Hmmm I would definitely like to see a 3rd company to make CPUs and GPUs to rival Intel and AMD and nVidia. The market needs to be shaken up a bit. However I don't see VIA to beat Intel. Then again I don't know much about VIA since this is the first time I've heard of them.

VIA was started about 25-30 years ago by a bunch of former Intel employees, IIRC...

It would be nice to have more movement in the chip market, it will be nice when some key CPU and GPU patents expire.

Woot, Go VIA! Look at you, doing stuff and making things. It's not a whole hell of a lot, but at least you're trying, and that's more than I can say for your competitors. If VIA were to make an unlocked model, I'd definitely buy it for the lulz. C'mon VIA, I'm practically waving my wallet in front of your face, all you need to do is grab it.  :D

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

VIA was started about 25-30 years ago by a bunch of former Intel employees, IIRC...

Sooooooooooo should I be excited? cuz I am.

Project Restomod (In progress)

Woot, Go VIA! Look at you, doing stuff and making things. It's not a whole hell of a lot, but at least you're trying, and that's more than I can say for your competitors. If VIA were to make an unlocked model, I'd definitely buy it for the lulz. C'mon VIA, I'm practically waving my wallet in front of your face, all you need to do is grab it.  :D

I had just forgotten about the glorious netflix face things, but thanks to you I got a good laugh.

on topic: if this is competitive (properly) with AMD and Intels solutions, and it sells, VIA could possibly put more money into R&D and get up to higher end consumer products, and if we're lucky, put up a fight with Intel, as AMD is lacking a bit.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Great, VIA hasn't been known to make the best performing x86 CPUs, but for packaged development boards or even integrated devices; Like: NAS, media player, thin clients, and even linux servers. This is great news in that section of the technology industry.

The last CPU I remember them making was the VIA Nano, which was in 2008. Anything that helps the low power and Integrated device industry is great news.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

VIA makes chips for things like USB 3.0 hubs now.

And the ones I've bought suck, soooo

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Erm.... What socket would it go into? Like Am1 or Fm2+ or something? If you don't get a motherboard, how it anyone supposed to use the dam thing.

Also I was thinking of buying a 5350 for a little minecraft server I could set up, mabye I could buy VIAs chip, probably not though.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Erm.... What socket would it go into? Like Am1 or Fm2+ or something? If you don't get a motherboard, how it anyone supposed to use the dam thing.

Also I was thinking of buying a 5350 for a little minecraft server I could set up, mabye I could buy VIAs chip, probably not though.

It is likely targeting mITX and other small form factor machines so will either be it's own socket but more likely embedded in VIA itx motherboards.

Think of this as a new contender in the growing HTPC and NAS market.

-------

Current Rig

-------

this could mean VIA getting slowly back into highend compute business. if this works, i can totally see them in some 5-7 years competing in mid-high range

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

It is likely targeting mITX and other small form factor machines so will either be it's own socket but more likely embedded in VIA itx motherboards.

Think of this as a new contender in the growing HTPC and NAS market.

So its like the Chip they intend to be placed into NAS and HTPC devices. I guess my Server pc will stick to the AMD Kabini.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

They MUST, then why they bought Cyrix time ago :D?

well it all depends on how much market they can eat up. they would need to price pretty agressively and have a powerfull IPC to even start to eat up into the amd intel cake that is desktop procesors

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

They'd go to Russia since they aren't 'murican IYKWIM....

i dont KWYM

oh now i remember. isnt VIA american tho? so russia wont want them. i will take them, make them do a 2xHw IPC and 10 cores on a die, with 20MB of L3

VIA is taiwanese

oooooh interesting development. we shall see. this could actually be beneficial to russia, not having to change OS and programs

Could this be the rise of a new Company....?

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

Interesting...very interesting

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Could this be the rise of a new Company....?

VIA have been making chips for yonks, as long as Intel and AMD, if not longer.

VIA invented the M-ITX standard that was designed to use their own chips, however as the world moved more and more into x86, they fell out of the public conscious but still made processors for business and specific applications, like IBMs PowerPC processors. They ran on completely different instruction sets to Intel/AMD cores and needed their own software etc.

This is their first x86 effort, AFAIK

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO