What is your opinion on piracy?

Thebman712

So i would like to know what you guys think of piracy. Also do you have different opinions on it for different things, like torenting games vs movies.

I like they way you get it for free but really i hate not supporting the company when a product is amazing.

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Dont care , too much work for me. I buy stuff

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

Since technology is ever changing ~ I use torrents to download latest books(they always seem to release new edition every 6-12 months) ~ and purchase them if they have something of value.

I am perfectly fine with it. People will always do it in someway shape or form. But I love it when people are chill about consumers pirating their stuff. Like Avenged Sevenfold for example. They don't care if you pirate their music, they just want as many people as possible to listen to their music, no matter if they own it or not. I wish alot of companies had that same attitude.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

I am perfectly fine with it. People will always do it in someway shape or form. But I love it when people are chill about consumers pirating their stuff. Like Avenged Sevenfold for example. They don't care if you pirate their music, they just want as many people as possible to listen to their music, no matter if they own it or not. I wish alot of companies had that same attitude.

yes i love when company's are like this and dont care, but really if you put your music on youtube its a matter of seconds before they will be downloaded so who cares

My Rig  

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

each of access wins me over, so if i cant watch the show easily i will pirate, as i wont be going to the store and buying a freaking dvd, but thanks to steam i buy 99.9% of all my games, i pirated The Sims 3 since the game with expansions costs 800$... but thats the first in years, if im super unsure about the game i might pirate and play for an hour, but reviews tends to make that unnecessary. 

Currently i pirate movies and TV shows due to no easy access for them, (netflix isnt very good here and gets boring fast and i watch SOOOO few tv shows, maybe 1 a year) movies i watch maybe 3 a year..

With a VPN im loving Crunchyrolls so i now watch all my anime there instead of downloading it to help a industry that i have enjoyed SOOO much, but in the past this option sadly wasnt around. 

I download many books due to hard to get in stores (Warhammer books mostly/only) but with audible sub im loving my audio books :)

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

It is what it is, there's no way to stop it so accommodating the paying customers is the only route to take.

I can sum it up in a couple of points

1) To quote Gabe N: It's a distribution problem

2) Because of 1) it's a necessary evil

3) It is never fairly studied, companies release sensationalist numbers that always makes the same mistake: Correlation does not equal causation

-------

Current Rig

-------

Dont care , too much work for me. I buy stuff

ironically it's easier to pirate some things instead some times.

Error: 410

double edged sword, its helpful and horrible at the same time

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I like it because I'm a thief and scumbag and free stuff really makes me feel good sometimes.

for reals though, if piracy didn't exist I'd be broke because of the amount of music I have.

I pirate HD movies that aren't on Netflix because it's easier than buying them and and I get to have slick software like XBMC to play them on with no bullshit with unskippable piracy warnings (that hilariously only come on genuine movies) and trailers etc.

TV/Movies industry really has some catching up to do in the distribusion department, but Steam is easier than piracy for games IMHO and I always buy games that I like, my 200+ item Steam account proves this.

I've always found piracy fascinating

reporting all to the police :D 

lol jk i fell the same way

My Rig  

I only watch movies and series on watchever. No more piracy there.

Books, never done that.

Music, I share music I buy with friends and the other way round.....works well. And it is allowed.

Games......I get a game from someone sometimes, but then again all the games I actually play, those are the ones I actually buy.

This just happened with space engineers. A friend brought a "copy" of the game, and after an hour of playing we bought 4 copies for our group. I think especially for smaller games like this one, definitely buy the games, if you want to play.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

This topic will probably be removed because of CoC...

It totally depends in my opinion. I do not pirate games, simple as that. I usually inform myself and read a bunch of reviews before I buy a game, I do not need to "test it" by pirating it beforehand. Games have become so cheap thanks to steam sales that there is no excuse to pirate them IMO. The only exception would be that a game is not available in your region or if you are in a region where the average income is extremely low and the prices for games are just ridiculous in comparison (nobody wants to spend half of their wage on single game....).

When it comes to music it simply doesn't make a difference for the most part. Most bands I listen to are well established and they do not need the 3% cut that they would get from the CD purchase. I buy merchandise and I go on concerts instead. The only exception would be indie bands that you want to support.

Movies, TV-series, etc.: Here I can totally agree that it is a distribution problem. There is no netflix or something similar in austria. I would love to get netflix and I would gladly pay for that service, but it is simply not available. The same goes for amazon prime. We have no option here but to buy tons of DVDs/Blurays which is simply not feasible. Until we get netflix or a similar service at a reasonable price pirating movies is fair game IMO.

This topic will probably be removed because of CoC...

It's a topic on the opinions on piracy, not whenever or not you're actually doing it or posting links or anything like that. It should be ok as long as we keep it on topic. It's like talking about the merits and downfalls of civil disobedience and actually encourage people to go vandalize government buildings: big difference.

-------

Current Rig

-------

All I really want is the ability to pay someone and get the content I want. If there is no effort made to even give me the slightest option to that effect, I will grab a torrent, Legality be damned. If it does become available at some point, then I will buy it. Simple as that.

ironically it's easier to pirate some things instead some times.

rarely

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

I could have sworn I've seen this thread multiple times already.

That said, I do sometimes. However, I blame game devs for not always having game demos since I'd rather have a legit copy, especially if it's a good multiplayer game. When it comes to moves, i don't really care for those since in all honesty, Hollywood releases crap most of the time anyway to care about it, legit or pirated. Same applies to tv shows. Only a small handful of shows to me rewatchable and with ISPs throwing data caps around like it's candy and discs being a dying medium, I tend to not care and will pirate a series, but only rarely.

I'm a firm believer that if you price your produce right and it's good, you wouldn't have to worry about your content being stolen. Take Adobe's overpriced products with security on par with trusting a 5 year old to guard a bank.

I get my music off of YouTube, which is completely legal.
I don't enjoy watching many films, but I find myself either watching them from Netflix or Redbox. I rarely torrent movies, but only when they are available on Google Play/iTunes which in many cases is overpriced.

I do torrent games, but I do buy any version of the game if I find it worth the money.

Minecraft is one example where I played cracked minecraft for about 3 months, and bought the game.

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

Movies ----> Renting was a fair pricing model, paying 3$ to rent a movie is awesome compared to buying it for 20$. If it was easy to rent at the same great pricing that video stores offer, I'd sign up right away.

Games ----> Are great value when they drop far below 60$ launch price

TV Shows ---> Cable/Sat is too expensive. 50$/month to watch commercials is ridiculous. All Piracy here. If there was a subscription model where you get to choose only the shows you're interested in, I'd be oboard 100%.

Music ---> I listen to online radio. If I download a song, I'm going to hate it after 5 times that I've played it, so buying music has never made sense (for me). Most people have a much higher tolerance , and a greater appreciation for more genres than I do.

Apps --> This is a tough one. Piracy opens the door to use apps that you might only need a couple of times... but then again, when priced at 1-4$, you're _supposed_ to buy them anyway, even if its for very rare usage.

Live Sports ---> bend over if you want 60fps live sports. It sucks.

My opinion on piracy: With great power comes great responsibility.

I believe movies and games like AC4 and Pirates of the Caribbean sensationalize the brutal reality of the life of privateers in that era.  

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

For me, it's kinda like renting it before you buy. If I like it, I will buy it, if I don;t like it, I will uninstall it and move on.

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M