The Macbook Pro is actually NOT overpriced (With Ultrabook/Notebook Comparison Chart)

Henry

Razerblade 2014 really only lasts for sub-5 hours? Man.

What kind of tests did the Verge do? Compare how they test the rMBP and the Rzrb2k14?

They test all their ultrabooks/notebooks the same way. Check on the verge's website :P

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

Seeing as how you're the only one arguing for your view of "overpriced", you kinda sorta should consider that maybe you're wrong? But I abstain, arguing with people like you rarely works since you bring everyone down to your level and then beat them with experience. Once again, you seem to think that your view of overpriced = everyones view of overpriced and thus pass judgement upon others in such a fashion. 

Or maybe, just maybe, it is possible to interpret subjective things different ways? There is no objective definition of what constitutes too high in "charge too high a price".

I never said that my view were the only correct one. I never said that everyones view was the same as mine either. You're the one saying that everyone except me has the same definition.

Please... Reread my posts and reread your own posts and you will hopefully realize what a massive hypocrite you are. You're the one sitting on a high horse saying that everyone else shares your views and that your definition is the only correct one. YOU'RE the one doing that, not me. I have tried to reason with you and I have tried to be nice, but you refuse to acknowledge that there might be more than one way to interpret a word.

Please, reread the posts and hopefully you will realize that you are the close minded one here, not me. I will gladly link you examples of this if you want.

And you still haven't answered with what laptop I should get that isn't overpriced, if I still want all those features. Since you can't, since you're trying to objectify some very subjective decisions and if you actually had any brains you would've stopped but you're as stubborn if not more so in thinking you're right and no one else could be. 

You're right, I can't answer it. I can't answer it because there is no laptop that meets are those criteria that I wouldn't consider overpriced.

You might as well ask which can of air (again, not compressed air but just regular air that is in a can) I think isn't overpriced. I think all of them are. If you want your air in a can then you will have to get one even if I think it is overpriced. If that's really what you want and you know of the alternatives (like just breathing in the air that is free) then go ahead and get it. Like I have said again and again I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with buying something overpriced. I have done so in the past (for example my Galaxy S 4 for over 800 USD) and I will probably do it a lot of times in the future as well. In my opinion, that does not mean that it wasn't overpriced though. I'd rather call that "put up with it being overpriced" instead of saying "I bought it and therefore it should cost that much".

I can cherry pick posts too and if you want bottom of the barrel, kid, I can give you that. You'll grow up one day (contrary to popular belief, you really don't become an adult at 18) and you'll realize how flawed your logic is, and throwing a tantrum and running away isn't how things are solved. 

And again with the insults...

You know, calling everyone who disagrees with you a kid won't solve anything.

If anything, you're the one acting like a kid with all the personal attacks and refusing to acknowledge that people might have different opinions. I have already tried to settle this time and time again but you refuse to acknowledge any other views than your own.

Edit: Fuck I replied even though I said I wouldn't...

Now I need to get an ultra book, now I am reasoning and anything that looks good is going to be at that $1000 mark.

garbage

Garbage? Anything above $1000 is garbage? Or am i misunderstanding you

Im referring to the argument that I have stated about how it is ridiculous to spend $1000 on a laptop that will (only in my case) be used for Internet / Skype / Document editing / (so non gpu incentive programs) and for something sleek and running windows it tabs around 1.1k.

looking at 

DELL XPS 13 

DELL XPS 11 (I like the smaller screen size and the tablet functionality, touchscreen is garbage to me.)

And the Surface Pro 3 (i3 64gb)

That being said if I liked apple and was looking at the same level

I would not feel cheated.

The MB Pro isn't a Ultrabook, it's aimed at content creation. It might be very slim and light but you can get more power for the same amount of money if you ignore the slimness and lightness.

It meets the requirements to be considered an ultarbook. Its an ultrabook aimed at content creation. Sure, u can get more power for less, but u cant get similar specs for less. Check the chart and see what I mean by looking at the specs, completely ignoring slimness and lightness.

Exactly, your not paying for extreme hardware. Your paying for the design and development of exceptionally stable hardware (like workstation grade)

Edit: also what laptop can you find with an aluminum unibody casing, 1600p screen, workstation grade hardware (that's why windows computers crash more often) and a 9 hour battery.

Edit, Edit: not to mention its ultrabook style portability.

the mac book is not workstation grade. It is a stable well build system. A workstation grade system has zeons and nvidia quadros or amd firpros. The macbooks have i7 and i5 and gtx graphics. The macpro trashcan is a work station with the firpros and xeon.

So the other day, I was looking through the laptops at Best Buy with my dad after we picked up an iPad Mini for my mom.

I said to him, "None of these are actually good laptops," and that included the X1 Carbon. The screen flexes like a contortionist on that mofo. He said to me, "Maybe after you've used a MacBook Pro for too long, all of the PCs start to look like shit."

It's really the truth. The amount of value you're getting for basically all of the MacBooks, especially the new $899 11" Air, is totally insane. The build quality just can't compare to anything else on the market. I think the only company so far to really capture the Apple "feel" is HTC, and I think we all know what phone I'm talking about.

I'm serious. All of the ThinkPads are just way too thick and heavy. Even the X1 doesn't have the same build quality, not only that, but it's actually more expensive dollar for dollar. I believe the ThinkPad Yoga is the only Windows laptop that can compete with MacBooks on pure specs, but you trade off build quality.

There are so many things in a MacBook Pro that are standard that aren't in Windows laptops that just get totally passed over. The trackpads are far and away the best in the biz, this is agreed on by the overwhelming majority of people who have tried it. The keyboards are consistently excellent, I actually type faster on MacBook keyboards than I do on mechanical keyboards, simply because of how short the throw is and how defined the actuation is. Every single modern MacBook (excluding the 13" non-Retina Pro) had a full on PCIe lane dedicated to an SSD. Not M.2, real PCIe. They all have extremely accurate IPS displays, which is more than most Windows laptops can say. They are all ridiculously thin and have battery lives of over eight hours, with the 13" Air pushing 14 on a full charge. 14 fucking hours. And they don't even say that. They UNDERSTATE the battery life, to ensure that you will get their number in a worst case scenario. We all know how accurate Windows laptop battery life claims are, which is to say, not at all.

And it's not just that. The software works so well with the hardware. 10.10 Yosemite has a host of new iOS integration features built in, something that Android could never do. Apple works so hard to ensure that their products have the absolute best way of doing everything on the market, (PCIe SSDs, IPS displays, HiDPI displays, glass trackpads, backlit chiclet keyboards) and you never even have to deal with the drivers for them.

I know that sounds like I'm a fanboy, but I honestly don't care. Everything above is sheer fact, it can be looked up and found in other sources. Fanboy is a term used to demean people who have looked at the facts and realized that no one on the market is providing a similar experience to Apple on any or all fronts. Why do you think Macs are so popular? The consumer is educated now, and they have realized that the race to the bottom by commodity PC manufacturers such as HP and Dell is no way to make good products. The only laptops that are even worth mentioning in the same breath as MacBooks are Lenovo's high end ThinkPads, and the Razer Blade , and as has been discussed before, they are almost never dollar for dollar a good deal. Everything else besides the ThinkPad Yoga and X1 Carbon and Blade 2014 are indistinguishable products, to the consumer the biggest difference between them is screen size. It seriously disappoints me that no PC manufacturer besides Lenovo is even trying on that front to get up to the level of a MacBook, because they are truly devices of another level.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Yeah of course, over 50% of the price is just for this:

Apple_gray_logo.png

It is beautiful, you've got to admit :-)

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

the mac book is not workstation grade. It is a stable well build system. A workstation grade system has zeons and nvidia quadros or amd firpros. The macbooks have i7 and i5 and gtx graphics. The macpro trashcan is a work station with the firpros and xeon.

Not necessarily. That's a big generalisation.

Apple_gray_logo.png

Wow alot of haters liked your comment . *claps*

i will pay for the 50% if it is ROG logo. dude it glows 

CPU: Intel i5-4670K CPU Cooler: Swiftech H240-X Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1 Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz 16GB Storage:  Samsung 850 evo 250GB ,1TB WD BLUE, Seagate Barracuda 2TB GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX970 4GB Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair AX760 Full Modular Monitor: Dell 23" S2340L IPS Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Mouse: Logitech G502(w/ Mi Metal Mousepad) Headphone: Audio Technica ATH-M50/MSR-7 Speaker: Edifier Studio 7 R2730DB

If fanboys fetishize Apple, the majority of this forum seems to fetishize sardonic, condescending disgust towards Apple and their users.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Unrelated post but I photoshopped that hat on your profile pic ages ago for you on some random thread and I thought its pretty cool that you're still using it  :D (I have been inactive for over 5 months and just came back to LTT today).

WOVays3.jpg

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

Unrelated post but I photoshopped that hat on your profile pic ages ago for you on some random thread and I thought its pretty cool that you're still using it  :D (I have been inactive for over 5 months and just came back to LTT today).

WOVays3.jpg

It was you? Oh cool. Hi!!! :)

Yeah Im too lazy to change it. 

• 2 weeks later...

GT 610M equivalent. Also, not everyone is a gamer. Like I said in the chart, not meant for gamers (though light gaming is fine, and great if u use bootcamp to use Windows).

Spec for spec, u get the best build quality in a laptop. Look at the chart :P

Correct me if i'm wrong , but a gpu is not just for gaming at least not in my opinion .

Correct me if i'm wrong , but a gpu is not just for gaming at least not in my opinion .

I just noticed I was wrong, I meant it was a 650M.

True. But mainly it is. If u needed to do intense GPU work, thats what the Mac Pro is for (tho I personally would just build my own workstation because expensive stuff like xeons arent needed)

I just noticed I was wrong, I meant it was a 650M.

True. But mainly it is. If u needed to do intense GPU work, thats what the Mac Pro is for (tho I personally would just build my own workstation because expensive stuff like xeons arent needed)

Yeah i know , who wouldn't ?:D

• 4 weeks later...

Updated thread

One thing that a lot if people don't realize is that unibody aluminum costs a SHIT ton of money to machine. I mean, it could take a full $100 right there.

The cooling for the MBP is amazing considering it's so quiet, and for the most part stays reasonably cool.

R&D costs money too.

Subtracting those you have a $1000 set of parts in a bad casing with bad, loud cooling. That seems like a good price to me.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

The 13" rMBP now starts at £999 in the UK, not bad as far as I'm concerned.

MacBook Pros are pretty good, people like to think that they're smart, cool or clever by bashing them.

Apple_gray_logo.png

I love apples.

MacBook Pros are pretty good, people like to think that they're smart, cool or clever by bashing them.

Or they are just ignorant

If fanboys fetishize Apple, the majority of this forum seems to fetishize sardonic, condescending disgust towards Apple and their users.

Well, you know why that is, right? Putting all the claims about "server-grade hardware" (it's not. It's the same hardware as anything else- consumer-grade chipsets made by intel, HDDs made by Toshiba and displays made by Sharp. NOT server grade.) aside, this is a tech forum full of people who like building, customizing and upgrading their machines to squeeze the most out of their system as they possibly can, because overclocking is fun, and upgrading is fun, and we like fun. It's also full of gamers, who like to game, because we like gaming, because gaming is fun, and they like fun.

because of that, I find Macs the most utterly boring machines to use ever. Using one is just such a drag. You can't do anything on there, everything's so closed off and restricted.

If you want Apple to hold your hand whenever you use a computer, then getting a macbook is fine, but I like to think of myself as a little smarter than that, and so do a lot of us here.

And to those of you saying "It's not all about power, it's about the build quality of the hardware and the computer" You know, most people will think like that, but I personally would rather use my plasticky sheet-metal false-impression of sturdiness Toshiba than a Mac simply because the hardware in mine can comfortably kick the ass of any mainstream mac in terms of raw performance. It's plastic, but still makes an effective weapon, and Toshibas are rock-solid laptops. It's nice that the Macbook pro can get nine hours, you say? I can get that on my laptop now and about 15 if I upgrade the battery to a 9-cell. Do that on your Macbook pro and I'll stop railing against apple, except even the macbook air can't get that much battery.

Linus said himself that he is a huge proponent for the concept of price-to-performance. Lets see how the Macbook Pro holds out here...

The lowest macbook pro money can buy from apple right sports... and brace yourselves because this is going to be unbearably sarcastic, exaggerated and snide - "the beastly power of a 2.5GHz dual-core i5, capable of boosting to 3.1GHz if loads become too burdensome, and if temperatures allow. The i5 also comes with the awesomely muscly Intel HD 4000 iGPU for all your video-watching needs. The machine also has a monsterly 4GB of superfast 1600MHz DDR3, enough for almost two Chrome tabs! also uses the deadly-quick Toshiba 5400rpm 500GB HDD (formatted capacity 467GB), it also has an absurdres 1280x800 screen! Made by Sharp, which is awesome, but we think we invented it! Has a couple of USB 3.0 ports, even though normal people will never use or appreciate that much bandwidth. It also has a Firewire 800 port which is obsolete in multiple senses, Gigabit ethernet which is standard now anyway, a 720p webcam, a glorified optical drive which is just a normal optical drive, Bluetooth 4.0, Wireless AC, which is nice, and Thunderbolt, which is brilliant but not standard yet. All this will last 7 hours on a charge, which is pretty impressive for a 63.5 watt-hour battery"

All this can be yours for a measly $1099.

On the other hand, you have my laptop, for instance.

AMD A10-4600M which has four cores, a base clock of 2.3GHz and turbos to 3.2 regardless of whether the temperature will allow it or not.

Radeon HD 7660G

480GB SSD,

8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Wireless N

720p webcam

6-cell, 42 watt-hour battery, max battery life recorded over 9 hours

2 USB 3.0, 1 USB 2.0, VGA, HDMI, Ethernet, SDXC, and BIOS support for sleep-charging.

Detachable optical drive, replaceable with second hard drive.

1366x768 screen -- higher resolution, sorry.

Bluetooth, which I don't need.

I got this laptop for a total of $534. The laptop was $300 used and the SSD was $234

Now bear in mind, I have already done a little upgrading and tweaking on this machine. I installed the SSD and replaced the thermal compound.

Apart from that, I can upgrade the CPU, the RAM, the battery, the wireless adapter, the SSD and the optical drive. If the RAM were upgraded to 1866MHz RAM, the battery to a 9-cell, the CPU to a 5750m, the wireless adapter to ac and the optical drive to a secondary hard drive bay, I would still have spent only about $865 on the computer as a whole.

I admit, I got lucky with the laptop, but the point still stands. You can get much better performance from a PC laptop than you can a Macbook Pro for the same price or lower.

I am not sold on Apple products, but that does not mean to say I think they are overpriced. For people who want a simple, easy-to-use computer they are excellent, but they are not good price-to-performance-wise. I know most normal people do not need the huge amounts of power from computers that we on this forum demand, but we on this forum, for the most part, demand it. I can recommend a mac to my grandma any day because it is simple to use, but I would not buy one myself. I don't really mind if my laptop isn't built out of machined aluminium. So long as it does it's job without frying itself, I am sold.

I now welcome my long-awaited beratings for the day.