The Macbook Pro is actually NOT overpriced (With Ultrabook/Notebook Comparison Chart)

Henry

The MB Pro isn't a Ultrabook, it's aimed at content creation. It might be very slim and light but you can get more power for the same amount of money if you ignore the slimness and lightness.

If you ignore the weight of a woman you can get one with huge tits. Would you want a slim woman with big breast or a fat one with big breast.

Interested in Business and Technology

If you ignore the weight of a woman you can get one with huge tits. Would you want a slim woman with big breast or a fat one with big breast.

Women != Notebooks

I like the MB Pro, but there is no way to avoid the fact that it is over-priced when you compare it to the segment it is placed in.

i'm a potato

@Henry

Can you put the defenition of overpriced please in the OP so people shut up:

overpriced  (ˌəʊvəˈpraɪst)    — adj   charging or charged at too high a price

Can you get the same/better performancefor less. Yes

Can you get a similar product for less. NO

Hence it is not overpriced.

PEOPLE STOP SAYING IT IS PEOPLE WHO SAY IT IS CANNOT JUSTIFY IT WITH ARGUMENTS BASED ON FACTS THERE IS JUST NO WAY.

( I never type with caps lock but this time i really feel the need.)

Women != Notebooks

I like the MB Pro, but there is no way to avoid the fact that it is over-priced when you compare it to the segment it is placed in.

You do not understand young man what the ''segment'' is. Sony Vaio Pro , also a ''Prosumer'' Notebook , aimed squarely at the MBP. These are not facts, on apples website they NEVER mention this laptop is designed for content creation, they say it is for ''work'' what that means is up to you.

You do not understand young man what the ''segment'' is. Sony Vaio Pro , also a ''Prosumer'' Notebook , aimed squarely at the MBP. These are not facts, on apples website they NEVER mention this laptop is designed for content creation, they say it is for ''work'' what that means is up to you.

Is there one picture in this page that doesn't include content creation excluding the last one? http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/performance-retina/

i'm a potato

The biggest problem these kids are having is that they think "just because I think its overpriced, it must be overpriced for everyone" 

If MBPs and by extension all ultrabooks were actually overpriced, they wouldn't be seeing continued growth and success and reinvestment. 

The market clearly (and most consumers clearly) don't think they are overpriced. They keep buying and using them. 

These kids might learn the difference and understand, when they grow up that is. I want a M4 but I can't afford it, so of course I'll say its overpriced and convince myself that my econobox is good enough. That doesn't mean I still wouldn't get it if I could, and it doesn't discount those that spend 4 times the MSRP of what my car costs on a more premium car. 

The biggest problem these kids are having is that they think "just because I think its overpriced, it must be overpriced for everyone" 

If MBPs and by extension all ultrabooks were actually overpriced, they wouldn't be seeing continued growth and success and reinvestment. 

The market clearly (and most consumers clearly) don't think they are overpriced. They keep buying and using them. 

These kids might learn the difference and understand, when they grow up that is. I want a M4 but I can't afford it, so of course I'll say its overpriced and convince myself that my econobox is good enough. That doesn't mean I still wouldn't get it if I could, and it doesn't discount those that spend 4 times the MSRP of what my car costs on a more premium car. 

Amen, somebody who understands it.

Btw the M4 is sexy as hellbmw-m4-rendering.jpg

Ok wth the dutch site is kinda different. Nontheless, not overpriced.

Ok then. I can also agree that it isn't overpriced if you factor in the designt etc. But it isn't that good price to performance wise.

i'm a potato

Ok then. I can also agree that it isn't overpriced if you factor in the designt etc. But it isn't that good price to performance wise.

Than again , no ultrabooks are ( or they are on sale/ special condition etc.) 

Amen, somebody who understands it.

Btw the M4 is sexy as hell

Im a little worried more people aren't being reasonable in this thread, then again those that are reasonable (And not insane like us) left this thread because they knew exactly what would happen. You can't convince people of anything here, no matter what facts you use or what experience you have or well, anything. 

And I know right? Seriously good looking. Worth getting into debt?

....Maybe. Just maybe. 

Your reasoning is that you don't think its worth it, so you don't buy it. That makes sense. And it should stop there. Who are you to decide that other people are wrong? Thats what you come off as. What does it matter to you that people buy Rolls Royces or golden door stoppers? Clearly it means nothing to you, but are you going to try and assign value for others?

It matters if the company they are buying it from is using the money to cripple competitors which ultimately make other products on the market worse.

It also matters because we have seen prices on these kinds of laptops slowly go up. The more people buy them, the more the prices will rise which again will have a negative effect on me and other consumers.

I think it's egoistic to watch someone spend 1800 dollars more than they need without as much as tell them about the options. Just going "it's their loss lol" is a lot worse than going "hey have you checked this other laptop out?".

I spent 2500 on a lens. Thats more than most of your computers I wager. Thats more than most of you have probably ever earned from a job (judging by the age of people here). So am I wrong in that? Its just a lens, it happens to be much better built and thus carries a high price tag among other reasons, like these ultra books that have long lasting batteries and high resolution displays, it uses coatings and lens elements that most people don't care about, and quite honestly its focal range is a little limited compared to even cheaper lenses. But am I wrong in spending 2500 on a lens that I find value in? Am I? According to your (flawed) logic, I am. I shouldn't waste my money on this, I should get the basic one because its "good enough". 

It depends on what you are going to use it for.

To make this example more comparable to the general use of Macbook Pros let's say you bought your 2500 dollar lens instead of a 300 dollar one, and you are going to use it to post pictures of your food on instagram with some crappy filter on it.

The people in your surrounding which know about the 300 dollar lens which would do the job equally well as the 2500 dollar lens are doing the wrong thing when they decide to not inform you about the other options.

I think you are doing the wrong thing buying it if you didn't do even a bare minimum of research before spending 2500 dollars. If you got so much money you can't even close your wallet without throwing out some 100 dollar bills then sure, go and buy a 2500 dollar lens without doing any research on it whatsoever. If you don't have a virtually limitless supply of cash then you should take a few minutes and look up the options.

Just like I have little reason to justify why I have a suitcase of lenses that is worth around 10 grand, people who buy ultrabooks or Macs or whatever else don't need to justify their reasons, and largely they don't. Because they don't care how other people spend their money, why are you so concerned with it? My parents gave me a good lesson; don't worry about how others spend their money. There will always be richer and poorer people than you, you can't control that. You can't judge how they spend, you can't try and make sense of what they do with their belongings. You only should worry about how you live. Worry about how you spend. Don't ever explain it to random people, or even to us. If you think there is value, that is your decision. No one else can judge you for that.

I think that's a bit strange that you say that. Weren't you against Brendan Eich for donating to prop 8? It doesn't seem like you followed the "don't judge how people spend their money" rule on that occasion.

I think it is fair to judge people based on their actions, and spending money is an action.

BTW, aluminum is efficiently recycled and extracted after it has been used. Insulting Macs for that is kinda stupid, since most things in production tend to make use of "2nd hand aluminum" which is structurally pure and thus still as good as the stuff that got pulled out of the ground. But hey, since we are saying some really questionable stuff, you might as well keep putting your foot in your mouth...

Well I think aluminum is a bad material to make laptops and other portable devices out of. It has many many practical issues. The reason why I called it "recycled soda cans" was to make a point that it's not a luxurious material. It's one of the cheapest and most common material on Earth. It's one of the least luxurious materials.

My argument is that all the educated people know it. It's an argument and it is 100% true.

Okay, then here is my counter argument:

"All the educated people in the world know that the MBP is overpriced. The idiots and Mac fanboys do not know this. This is 100% true."

See how childish it sounds?

Well the "canned air" market in China is seeing a continued growth and success. Does that mean that the air in the can (again, not compressed air or anything like that, just regular air in a can) is reasonably priced?

The competitors are selling their cans of air for similar prices mind you, so if you compare two cans of air against each other they will have the same specs and cost about the same.

It matters if the company they are buying it from is using the money to cripple competitors which ultimately make other products on the market worse.

It also matters because we have seen prices on these kinds of laptops slowly go up. The more people buy them, the more the prices will rise which again will have a negative effect on me and other consumers.

I think it's egoistic to watch someone spend 1800 dollars more than they need without as much as tell them about the options. Just going "it's their loss lol" is a lot worse than going "hey have you checked this other laptop out?".

It depends on what you are going to use it for.

To make this example more comparable to the general use of Macbook Pros let's say you bought your 2500 dollar lens instead of a 300 dollar one, and you are going to use it to post pictures of your food on instagram with some crappy filter on it.

The people in your surrounding which know about the 300 dollar lens which would do the job equally well as the 2500 dollar lens are doing the wrong thing when they decide to not inform you about the other options.

I think you are doing the wrong thing buying it if you didn't do even a bare minimum of research before spending 2500 dollars. If you got so much money you can't even close your wallet without throwing out some 100 dollar bills then sure, go and buy a 2500 dollar lens without doing any research on it whatsoever. If you don't have a virtually limitless supply of cash then you should take a few minutes and look up the options.

I think that's a bit strange that you say that. Weren't you against Brendan Eich for donating to prop 8? It doesn't seem like you followed the "don't judge how people spend their money" rule on that occasion.

I think it is fair to judge people based on their actions, and spending money is an action.

Well I think aluminum is a bad material to make laptops and other portable devices out of. It has many many practical issues. The reason why I called it "recycled soda cans" was to make a point that it's not a luxurious material. It's one of the cheapest and most common material on Earth. It's one of the least luxurious materials.

One word for all this BS. Grow up: 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/177855-lets-grow-up/

You have some little points there which are your own opinion so it can't be ''wrong'' but the majoroty is BS i'm sorry.

I can see that they sell. And I don't hate Apple, I myself wanted a MacBook once. Again I get that the design and the thought that Apple puts into their products makes them more valuable, but it doesn't mean they have a good price to performance ratio. I guess that in my first post I was kinda bad with the words and it made me look like I hate Apple, I don't. Maybe instead of saying what I said I could have said that.

i'm a potato

I can see that they sell. And I don't hate Apple, I myself wanted a MacBook once. Again I get that the design and the thought that Apple puts into their products makes them more valuable, but it doesn't mean they have a good price to performance ratio. I guess that in my first post I was kinda bad with the words and it made me look like I hate Apple, I don't. Maybe instead of saying what I said I could have said that.

Fair enough, just bad wording but I get what you mean. 

The $/performance doesn't always make sense with Macs. Sometimes it doesn't make sense with any ultrabook at all. 

I think what people are trying to get across is that some consumers genuinely don't care about that metric, they'll pick whichever product for their own reasons. So its hard to assign some "value" to a product for other people.

I guess what gets me upset is that some people here are making the argument that "but because you can get cheaper, this product is suddenly overpriced". Not everyone thinks like that, and some people place value on things that others don't. So theres that end of things.

One word for all this BS. Grow up: 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/177855-lets-grow-up/

You have some little points there which are your own opinion so it can't be ''wrong'' but the majoroty is BS i'm sorry.

Please explain how it is BS.

Just saying "grow up" when trying to have a serious debate won't lead anywhere. It's just empty words that doesn't address any of the points raised.

Please stop with the mindless insults (like "everyone who disagrees with me is an idiot!" and "grow up!") and explaining where you think I am wrong.

Fair enough, just bad wording but I get what you mean. 

The $/performance doesn't always make sense with Macs. Sometimes it doesn't make sense with any ultrabook at all. 

I think what people are trying to get across is that some consumers genuinely don't care about that metric, they'll pick whichever product for their own reasons. So its hard to assign some "value" to a product for other people.

I guess what gets me upset is that some people here are making the argument that "but because you can get cheaper, this product is suddenly overpriced". Not everyone thinks like that, and some people place value on things that others don't. So theres that end of things.

I think the problem here is that we have different definitions of what overpriced means.

To you it means "more expensive than what someone is willing to pay". To me it means "costs more than what another product that could do the intended task comparatively well".

As long as we have different definitions on what the word means, the discussion won't go anywhere. How about we just agree to disagree?

I do think that your "don't judge people by what they spend money on" and "let people spend money on whatever they want" is bullshit though, and I know you do too in some situations (like the prop 8 donations).

Normal people don't even look at the specs. 

Specs are something that exist to aide in penis measuring contests. Specs are a zero sum game, since someone can always beat you. 

Buy and use what makes you happy and stop trying to interject your opinions on others, regardless of what you think. You'll all be happier that way. If someone likes spending more or less than they need to, let them. Why do you care? Worry about your own things. 

Im not injecting opinions, they just arent overpriced, for the specs. Cant really say anythign about the software otherwise fanboys show up

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

They don't have the best price to performance ratio. Everything they have is always top performance, except GPUs. I honestly could use a normal mSATA SSD and have the extra money saved towards a 860m but  oh well, its not meant for gamers, and the specs are jsut fine for the price for a non gamer. But yeah, its not  overpriced for the spec.

Please explain how it is BS.

Just saying "grow up" when trying to have a serious debate won't lead anywhere. It's just empty words that doesn't address any of the points raised.

Please stop with the mindless insults (like "everyone who disagrees with me is an idiot!" and "grow up!") and explaining where you think I am wrong.

Ok let's start from the beginning then, What is your point of view on this. In other words , dectate a scentence of your standpoint. ( E.g. I think the MBP is overpriced because ...)

Normal people don't even look at the specs. 

Specs are something that exist to aide in penis measuring contests. Specs are a zero sum game, since someone can always beat you. 

Buy and use what makes you happy and stop trying to interject your opinions on others, regardless of what you think. You'll all be happier that way. If someone likes spending more or less than they need to, let them. Why do you care? Worry about your own things. 

Why do I care? I dont like things being bashed on that dont deserve to be bashed on, so I defend it. Like how i used to defend AMD or Nvidia but at this point, its just impossible to talk with a fanboy.

But with this topic, cmon, everything is a PC. Macs are PCs. So might as well talk spec for spec and more easily compare the two then AMD vs Nvidia.

Specs are pretty dam useful in my opinion. And if someone prefers Windows or some Linux distro, then they can do that too on the Mac, its a PC, you can install w.e OS u want that works on PCs

@Henry

Can you put the defenition of overpriced please in the OP so people shut up:

Can you get the same/better performancefor less. Yes

Can you get a similar product for less. NO

Hence it is not overpriced.

PEOPLE STOP SAYING IT IS PEOPLE WHO SAY IT IS CANNOT JUSTIFY IT WITH ARGUMENTS BASED ON FACTS THERE IS JUST NO WAY.

( I never type with caps lock but this time i really feel the need.)

Wow, why didnt u tell me to put that before...K ill put a quote of you in the OP. Tho when comparing at the higher end, its usually the GPU lacking.

Wow, why didnt u tell me to put that before...K ill put a quote of you in the OP. Tho when comparing at the higher end, its usually the GPU lacking.

No gpu is less performance.

I'm not sure the retina screens matter all that much when laptops these days have pretty good screens + touchscreen.

And the latter is cheaper.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

In New Zealand they are the cheapest higher than 1080p 13.3" laptop. I'd own one any day.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

No gpu is less performance.

What I meant was that the performance that was mostly lacking was the GPU since there are much better GPUs on cheaper devices.