The Macbook Pro is actually NOT overpriced (With Ultrabook/Notebook Comparison Chart)

Henry

I'm not sure the retina screens matter all that much when laptops these days have pretty good screens + touchscreen.

And the latter is cheaper.

If touchscreen matters that much, Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro is the best priced among the other devices I compared.

Psh, thats what they all say. Remember when 480p or 720p were considered amazing? Now we got 4k.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

@SSOB I changed the OP, does it look better now

Henry, on 07 Jul 2014 - 7:18 PM, said:

If touchscreen matters that much, Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro is the best priced among the other devices I compared.

Psh, thats what they all say. Remember when 480p or 720p were considered amazing? Now we got 4k.

*UltraHD :P

But 1080p is still good for a few more years. Pushing 4k is still really hardware taxing, so we won't see a good notebook solution in a while I presume

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

*UltraHD :P

But 1080p is still good for a few more years. Pushing 4k is still really hardware taxing, so we won't see a good notebook solution in a while I presume

Like Linus says, keep pushing forward. Or something like that, idk, it was in the LG G3 video talking about 1440p on a phone.

Hardware taxing for hardcore gamers. Not me. #Iplayleagueoflegendsandteamfortress2butIwillplaystarcitizenwhenitfinishesupsomebetaoralphastuff

This thread is going to get rekt, right now.

Guys, you are getting a GREAT screen, really nice build quality, good battery life, a pretty nice OS (other than the lack of games), and they're thin. Not to mention they have FUCKING BLACK PCB'S IN THEM. So all of you Apple-hating, cockjuggling thundercunts can fuck off.

/rant

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

That avatar matches so well...

After 3 pages this became nothing but the easiest way to increase post count.

It's like hacking away at an NPC in Skyrim that will never attack back.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Guys, you are getting a GREAT screen, really nice build quality, good battery life, a pretty nice OS (other than the lack of games), and they're thin. Not to mention they have FUCKING BLACK PCB'S IN THEM. So all of you Apple-hating, cockjuggling thundercunts can fuck off.

/rant

Tempted to make this quote my signature, possible the best thing I have ever read with my eyeballs in my 24 years of life. Especially since I did it all in Ryan Reynolds voice from blade trinity

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Spec for spec there are better options, but whatever laptop you get will not compare in build quality. Magsafe charger, amazing display, great battery life and a stable OS is where the extra money goes. Windows is garbage. The only reason I use it is to game. I've broken two laptops from someone tripping over the charger and pulling it off a table, breaking the power connector. The body of the macbook is amazing. It's super thin and balanced. The competition will be made of cheap and flexible plastic that won't hold up. It will have a "normal" ac connector that is bulky and nowhere near as nice as a macbook. Lets not forget the warranty program. You can take your pc/phone/tablet to any apple store and they will swap out or repair your equipment if it's under warranty. There is no other warranty like it. For everyday computing a mbp is great. For gaming get something else. Macbook's, apple in general is not overpriced. You pay for quality. 

I don't think macbook pros are over priced.  I haven't seen many laptops with the specs, display, battery life, and build quality of a macbook pro for a lower price.

Don't forget longevity. I have a 2008 15" Macbook pro, 2.66ghz intel core 2 duo and 4GB 1067mhz ddr3 (thats right, better than 1066!) and it's still working great. Only upgrade I made was I put in a solid state drive that was too small and useless for my PC anymore. I can play DOTA 2 on steam, multitask with XBMC, firefox, sketchbook express, if I want to work in bed, I even have autocad 2014 on it. And I'm on it now. I use it as much if not more than my desktop.

6 years of use (and more I'm sure) for a laptop that I paid $2000 for. Was it expensive at the time? Very. Has it cost me less than $350 a year? Yes. Would I buy a new one... probably not... My needs have changed... But I've worked on a new >$1000 laptop thinking... Wow... my core 2 duo (performs) faster than this i5 piece of bunk.

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.

Ok let's start from the beginning then, What is your point of view on this. In other words , dectate a scentence of your standpoint. ( E.g. I think the MBP is overpriced because ...)

I have already explained why I think it is overpriced several times in this thread. You have even replied to posts from me where I explain why I consider it overpriced.

Try reading those posts.

But I think this will boil down to this again:

I think the problem here is that we have different definitions of what overpriced means.

To you it means "more expensive than what someone is willing to pay". To me it means "costs more than what another product that could do the intended task comparatively well".

As long as we have different definitions on what the word means, the discussion won't go anywhere. How about we just agree to disagree?

If you follow my definition, then the Macbook Pro is overpriced for almost all people who got one.

With your (or at least what seems to be Victorious Secret's definition) then it's not overpriced since people are willing to pay that much.

I think my definition is far better though, since otherwise you will end up with stuff like "1 dollar for air is not overpriced since people are buying it" and "13.7 USD per MB in roaming charges is not overpriced".

You are still applying your metrics to the mass market and to how other people buy.

Just because YOU think it's overpriced doesn't mean everyone does.

Once again, if someone wants a thin laptop with a high res screen, great ID and build quality and a long lasting battery, are they not allowed to get that? They have to settle for something that doesn't have what they might want? Just because your needs are different, everyone must think and buy like you?

Just because you're a cheap bastard who wouldn't spend 2 grand on a ultrabook style doesn't mean others won't. It doesn't make them overpriced.

You keep saying it's overpriced. Find me a cheaper laptop that has 9 hours of life, that level of warranty and after sales service, well above average design and build quality, and a high res screen. Things people actually care for (even if you don't).

Your self centred view is everything that's wrong with "enthusiasts".

I have already explained why I think it is overpriced several times in this thread. You have even replied to posts from me where I explain why I consider it overpriced.

Try reading those posts.

But I think this will boil down to this again:

If you follow my definition, then the Macbook Pro is overpriced for almost all people who got one.

With your (or at least what seems to be Victorious Secret's definition) then it's not overpriced since people are willing to pay that much.

I think my definition is far better though, since otherwise you will end up with stuff like "1 dollar for air is not overpriced since people are buying it" and "13.7 USD per MB in roaming charges is not overpriced".

I think the problem with you is in fact the language bariere, you don't understand what overpriced ,is , it does not have more than one meaning just like many other words have not more than one meaning.

o·ver·price  (omacr.giflprime.gifvschwa.gifr-primacr.gifsprime.gif)
tr.v. o·ver·pricedo·ver·pric·ingo·ver·pric·es
To put too high a price or value on.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

overpriced (ˌəʊvəˈpraɪst)

adj
1. charging or charged at too high a price

Interested in Business and Technology

You are still applying your metrics to the mass market and to how other people buy.

Just because YOU think it's overpriced doesn't mean everyone does.

Once again, if someone wants a thin laptop with a high res screen, great ID and build quality and a long lasting battery, are they not allowed to get that? They have to settle for something that doesn't have what they might want? Just because your needs are different, everyone must think and buy like you?

Just because you're a cheap bastard who wouldn't spend 2 grand on a ultraviolet style doesn't mean others won't. It doesn't make them overpriced.

You keep saying it's overpriced. Find me a cheaper laptop that has 9 hours of life, that level of warranty and after sales service, well above average design and build quality, and a high res screen. Things people actually care for (even if you don't).

Your self centred view is everything that's wrong with "enthusiasts".

Sigh... Please reread my posts. Right now you're just strawmanning like crazy.

I never, ever said that you shouldn't get something that is overpriced. I actually said the exact opposite.

That was the entire point I was trying to make when I said "I thought my phone was overpriced and yet I still bought it, because I wanted it" and "tolerating the high price does not mean the device isn't overpriced".

I think the problem with you is in fact the language bariere, you don't understand what overpriced ,is , it does not have more than one meaning just like many other words have not more than one meaning.

o·ver·price  (omacr.giflprime.gifvschwa.gifr-primacr.gifsprime.gif)
tr.v. o·ver·pricedo·ver·pric·ingo·ver·pric·es
To put too high a price or value on.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

overpriced (ˌəʊvəˈpraɪst)

adj
1. charging or charged at too high a price

Okay... Then please post the definition of what constitutes "too high a price".

That's where our definitions differs. We are interpreting "too high a price" in different ways, and there is no objective definition of it.

You are assuming that your way of intercepting it is the only correct one, which is wrong.

You use straw manning, I don't think you know what it means...

My arguments aren't straw man, they're straightly drawn from your posts and the general attitude they give off.

From an objective point of view, I greatly prefer my Mac's (iMac at home, Macbook Pro at home/travel, Mac Pro at work) for work. simple, clean, efficient UI designed for productivity. (this is excluding the joke that is Windows 8 productivity, too)

I prefer my PC for gaming. I'm not saying that it's only good for gaming, I actually do a fair bit of work on my PC, but I do prefer OSX to Windows.

From a subjective point of view, I know that my PC is vastly superior to even my Mac Pro, however I have been a Mac guy since the days of the Macintosh Quadra 630 (look it up), so I tend to stick with what I know. I was leading the bandwagon before it got huge, and i'll still be at the forefront of the trail if/when it ever dies down.

I don't like how closed mac's are, or how stripped of user-editable feature OSX is, Apple has an environment they have in mind, and they try to force the under to remain within their constraints. I've been able to find workarounds and community patches for all of the gripes that i've had with recent OSX incarnations.

One last thing I'd like to add, too, is that I enjoy calling Apple's tech support (on the rare occurrence that I [erm, Google] can't figure it out on my own) and actually speaking to someone that didn't take a 15-minute how-to English class on my first go-around, every time.

TL:DR

Each has it's pros and cons. Both have their uses, and ultimately, it is up to the user. I don't believe one comes out on top the other.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

To me it means "costs more than what another product that could do the intended task comparatively well".

If you follow your definition we should all be buying Nintendo Wii U's. They are cheaper than all the consoles and pc's and they still play games. 

The problem is you are mistaking "overpriced" with "I'm cheap". You LITTERALLY think that the cheapest thing that can accomplish a goal is the best option. Cheaper isn't better, it's just cheaper. On the other end of the spectrum more expensive doesn't mean better, but it usually is true. 

You use straw manning, I don't think you know what it means...

My arguments aren't straw man, they're straightly drawn from your posts and the general attitude they give off.

A straw man argument is when you deliberately misinterpret someone's position and argues against a similar position instead.

I never once said that you shouldn't buy something because it is overpriced. I actually said the opposite a few posts back in order to avoid this situation, yet you keep misinterpretation my posts.

I don't see how my post can "give off" that attitude when I clearly said the exact opposite. That is why I called your post a straw man.

You can buy something that is overpriced if you want (if you go by my definition of what's overpriced). That doesn't mean it is any less overpriced though.

If you follow your definition we should all be buying Nintendo Wii U's. They are cheaper than all the consoles and pc's and they still play games. 

The problem is you are mistaking "overpriced" with "I'm cheap". You LITTERALLY think that the cheapest thing that can accomplish a goal is the best option. Cheaper isn't better, it's just cheaper. On the other end of the spectrum more expensive doesn't mean better, but it usually is true. 

If you only want to play games and the Wii U can play all the games you want then sure.

Most people will still need a computer for other things though, or it provides a vastly different experience (different controls, different games etc) and that's why I don't go around telling everyone to get a Wii U.

I never said the cheapest option is the best. What I said was that if something is 10 times as expensive and the cheaper option will be able to perform the intended tasks comparatively well then the more expensive option is overpriced.

Something can be the best and overpriced at the same time. If you were to compare two kits of RAM. One was 1600MHz and one was 1601Mhz then the 1601Mhz kit would be better. If there was a 1000% price difference then the 1601Mhz RAM kit would be overpriced though.

"More expensive usually means better" is bullshit as well. I'd be surprised if that holds up in 50%+ of cases.

You can buy something that is overpriced if you want (if you go by my definition of what's overpriced). That doesn't mean it is any less overpriced though.

What? That makes no sense at all. Just because YOU think its overpriced, doesn't mean it is. The market determines what is and isn't overpriced, not a kid on the internet who thinks just because something is cheaper, that is better to get. You time and time again keep thinking that your definition of overpriced is the only definition (and its a wrong definition). 

I can sit here all day saying Rolls Royce Phantoms are overpriced. But are they? Have you considered what market they sit in? What their competitors are? What their average customer is like? Overpriced is a term that gets used a little too much and has lost all meaning, instead being championed by cheap, poor internet experts as a justification against buying anything nice. 

And you still never answered my other question. If someone wants a laptop with all those specs, what do they get that isn't overpriced? Or are you now being a judgemental asshole and criticising those people who decide to buy products that fit their own needs (whether real or not). 

I like high res panels. I like aluminum and other (read: better) materials. I like having a glass trackpad. I like having warranty service most companies can only dream of offering. I like having relatively thin laptops at the cost of some user upgradeability. I like all that, and I buy laptops that fit those requirements (or as many as possible). I also like having a battery that lasts roughly twice as long as everything else on the market, letting me make the most of the portable nature of the product. So sue me that I spend upwards of a few grand on such products. 

Just because your broke ass is too cheap to buy such a thing doesn't mean we all are. Just because you don't see the value, doesn't mean others don't. And if these products actually were overpriced, this segment would've died away and Apple would've closed the doors to their laptop division years ago. But would you look at that, they haven't. That segment of the market is flourishing, people are clearly willing to pay a premium for a quality product, and the manufacturers are acknowledging that by making quality products. 

Maybe thats too much for you to understand and deal with. I don't know. 

-snip-

Just because your broke ass is too cheap to buy such a thing doesn't mean we all are. Just because you don't see the value, doesn't mean others don't. And if these products actually were overpriced, this segment would've died away and Apple would've closed the doors to their laptop division years ago. But would you look at that, they haven't. That segment of the market is flourishing, people are clearly willing to pay a premium for a quality product, and the manufacturers are acknowledging that by making quality products. 

-snip-

These two sentences, I just couldn't ignore it without saying well done, I agree with these quite strongly.

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

Spec for spec there are better options, but whatever laptop you get will not compare in build quality. Magsafe charger, amazing display, great battery life and a stable OS is where the extra money goes. Windows is garbage. The only reason I use it is to game. I've broken two laptops from someone tripping over the charger and pulling it off a table, breaking the power connector. The body of the macbook is amazing. It's super thin and balanced. The competition will be made of cheap and flexible plastic that won't hold up. It will have a "normal" ac connector that is bulky and nowhere near as nice as a macbook. Lets not forget the warranty program. You can take your pc/phone/tablet to any apple store and they will swap out or repair your equipment if it's under warranty. There is no other warranty like it. For everyday computing a mbp is great. For gaming get something else. Macbook's, apple in general is not overpriced. You pay for quality. 

You also pay for the specs. Spec for spec, there are better options, but only for better raw performance. You just cant get similar specs for less (except maybe lenovo yoga 2 pro, but i couldnt find anything else), but you can get better performance for less. 

What? That makes no sense at all. Just because YOU think its overpriced, doesn't mean it is. The market determines what is and isn't overpriced, not a kid on the internet who thinks just because something is cheaper, that is better to get. You time and time again keep thinking that your definition of overpriced is the only definition (and its a wrong definition).

Okay now I am 100% convinced that you don't actually read my posts. There is no point in arguing with you anymore since you don't read my posts.

This is what I said:

I think the problem here is that we have different definitions of what overpriced means.

To you it means "more expensive than what someone is willing to pay". To me it means "costs more than what another product that could do the intended task comparatively well".

As long as we have different definitions on what the word means, the discussion won't go anywhere. How about we just agree to disagree?

and I also said:

Okay... Then please post the definition of what constitutes "too high a price".

That's where our definitions differs. We are interpreting "too high a price" in different ways, and there is no objective definition of it.

Don't you see the hypocrisy in your post when you say " You time and time again keep thinking that your definition of overpriced is the only definition (and its a wrong definition)"?

It's YOU that's doing that, not me. You're the one saying that your definition of "overpriced" is the only correct one, and that I am wrong. I am the one saying that we have different ways of determining if someone is overpriced or not, and the conversation will therefore not lead anywhere. I have never said that your definition of overpriced is wrong. You're the one saying that my definition is wrong even though it is up for interpretation.

So you're straw manning and now calling me a kid. You're really scarping the bottom of the barrel for things to throw at me now aren't you?

Stop with the insults and logical fallacies. I have tried to be reasonable with you and you respond with personal insults like calling me poor and a kid.

I am done here. Keep telling yourself that your definition of overpriced is the only true one if you want.

I don't care anymore. You're too close minded to debate with.

Razerblade 2014 really only lasts for sub-5 hours? Man.

What kind of tests did the Verge do? Compare how they test the rMBP and the Rzrb2k14?

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Seeing as how you're the only one arguing for your view of "overpriced", you kinda sorta should consider that maybe you're wrong? But I abstain, arguing with people like you rarely works since you bring everyone down to your level and then beat them with experience. Once again, you seem to think that your view of overpriced = everyones view of overpriced and thus pass judgement upon others in such a fashion. 

And you still haven't answered with what laptop I should get that isn't overpriced, if I still want all those features. Since you can't, since you're trying to objectify some very subjective decisions and if you actually had any brains you would've stopped but you're as stubborn if not more so in thinking you're right and no one else could be. 

I can cherry pick posts too and if you want bottom of the barrel, kid, I can give you that. You'll grow up one day (contrary to popular belief, you really don't become an adult at 18) and you'll realize how flawed your logic is, and throwing a tantrum and running away isn't how things are solved.