The Macbook Pro is actually NOT overpriced (With Ultrabook/Notebook Comparison Chart)

Henry

Oh, hi, you must be new here. Over here we have ---> google.com ; and over here we have----> Linustechtips.com 

/welcome to the internet 

P.s. give me that H440 of yours :unsure:

I'll be dead before I give that thing up.

Project Insomnia

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.6 GHz.   CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x40   Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb.   Graphics Card: EVGA SC Geforce GTX 780 Ti   Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W   Case: NZXT H440

I'll be dead before I give that thing up.

:( 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

:(

If it makes you feel any better, I'm 1,400 miles away from it for the next 4 months.

Project Insomnia

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.6 GHz.   CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x40   Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb.   Graphics Card: EVGA SC Geforce GTX 780 Ti   Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W   Case: NZXT H440

If it makes you feel any better, I'm 1,400 miles away from it for the next 4 months.

Perfect, have someone send it my way :) 

I'll send it back in a month+ once mine comes. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Perfect, have someone send it my way :)

I'll send it back in a month+ once mine comes. 

Yeah...no. 

Project Insomnia

All Macs are overpriced because they don't run Windows!

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

#Linuxmasterracebro

Jk, but you can always install Win 8.1 with Bootcamp. 

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

Surely you must be trolling. That literally makes no sense.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I like how we are arguing over something that is completely subjective. 

This, all of this.

Please people, stop trying to prove that one product is better than another when such a thing is dependent on a lot of different variables which differ from person to person. It can only end in an argument.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Obvious joke is obvious, it flew right over your head.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Obvious joke is obvious, it flew right over your head.

I said it was trolling. Does that not count?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Yes but you can fit two MBPR into the chassis of that MSI and I strongly doubt it gets eight hours of battery life.

To be fair, Tek Syndicate did say that it is more of a desktop-replacement-grade laptop. But, if you want an absolutely no-compromises computer that you can also lug around with you if you so decide, that's the one people are going to go for.

Aesthetics and size of the laptop are entirely subjective and will float entirely different boats. Some will want to fit a fast laptop into a briefcase, others will want to fit a powerhorse in a backpack.

That aside, if you aren't using the GPU, you can set it to use the iGPU and spin down the hard drive. The M.2s are sipping tiny bits of power, and if you minimized power consumption I would say, based on how much power the components take that you could, theoretically get 8 hours on battery. No different for the MBPR or any other laptop, you have to push those things to get the advertised battery life.

That aside, if you aren't using the GPU, you can set it to use the iGPU and spin down the hard drive. The M.2s are sipping tiny bits of power, and if you minimized power consumption I would say, based on how much power the components take that you could, theoretically get 8 hours on battery. No different for the MBPR or any other laptop, you have to push those things to get the advertised battery life.

Not true. Look at MBPR battery life numbers. It often gets over eight hours, Apple under advertises its battery lives.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

chill u guys go hardcore about this topic and prices macs are still $500 more then pc but u do get nice build quality from apple but most pc''s these days are pretty good build quality these days its all about the person macs are nice for travel and ruggedness and all around quality pc while stilll haveing good quality is for buisness gaming and for people who just prefer a pc

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

My laptop is da best. Intel core i3 350m, 2gb ram,GMA5700MHD graphics 60gb ssd all running on my favourite os Linux mint 17 cinnamon. :P

Steve

Not true. Look at MBPR battery life numbers. It often gets over eight hours, Apple under advertises its battery lives.

Now that you mention that, I can't help but notice that they tend to do that. Where SSD manufacturers tend to give peak data rates on sequential reads and writes for large files that will likely seldom be achieved in the real world, Apple way undersells their SSDs. The terabyte SSDs in the MBPR are, correct me if I'm wrong, advertised at around 775MBps read/write, where the tests that 9to5Mac did found it to get well over 1100MBps read/write.

Probably just to be on the safe side.

In terms of batteries, I really hate Toshiba for this. Why can't we buy these in the US?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2064861/toshiba-says-its-new-kira-ultrabook-packs-a-ridonkulous-22-hour-battery-life.html

Chill you guys go hardcore about this topic and prices macs are still $500~(sort of) more than a PC but you do get nice build quality from Apple but most PCs these days are pretty good build quality these days it's all about the person. Macs are nice for travel and ruggedness and all around quality, PC while still having good quality is for business, gaming and for people who just prefer a PC.

Not to mention that the onslaught of Linux is something that Microsoft will not survive, but Apple will sidestep quite neatly because BSD.

My laptop is da best. Intel core i3 350m, 2gb ram,GMA5700MHD graphics 60gb ssd all running on my favourite os Linux mint 17 cinnamon. :P

Try my dad's old work laptop that he kept after the company phased them out. Dell Latitude, Centrino, 100GB HDD. Fricking old. Running Ubuntu like an absolute boss.

Now that you mention that, I can't help but notice that they tend to do that. Where SSD manufacturers tend to give peak data rates on sequential reads and writes for large files that will likely seldom be achieved in the real world, Apple way undersells their SSDs. The terabyte SSDs in the MBPR are, correct me if I'm wrong, advertised at around 775MBps read/write, where the tests that 9to5Mac did found it to get well over 1100MBps read/write.

That is one fast ssd. I've sent that before where they undersell to be on the safe side. Thruthily I'd say I dislike apple fans that apple products. I quite like Mac os x. And each product has its place. And apple has a place. Way up in the sky and that probably made no sense so I'm going to sleep

Steve

Can anyone correct me on this PCPP? From what I see the $1800 13" is actually fairly amazing. 

Motherboard: ASRock H81M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($64.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GT 610 1GB Video Card  ($34.99 @ NCIX US) 
Monitor: Dell U3014 60Hz 30.0" Monitor  ($1049.00 @ B&H) 
Other: 512GB PCI-E SSD ($719.50)
Other: Power Brick ($30.00)
Other: Paying the design team ($500.00)
Other: unibody aluminium ($200.00)
Other: Webcam ($30.00)
Other: Paying the people who make MacOSX ($500.00)
Other: Cheap labor ($15.00)
Other: The stickers that come with Mac laptops ($1.00)
Total: $3275.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-27 23:18 EDT-0400

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

I would never get the tower, i bult a hackintosh for my friend for about $1.2k and it out performs anything in that price range from mac. but the laptops are extremely well built,

beautifly well built i might add. I love the heavy premimuf alluimiun body feel. Throw a SSD in there and maybe swap the drive out for a HDD and its a beast of a system.

Would love to get a 2012-13 13 inch MBP for 600 and upgrade the internals. Muwahahah

EDIT* Of course it would be dual booted with Windows 7 and OSX

I say this because, I had a very bad Gypsie attack...they stole my wife, plow... and they touch my horse in a very bad way... he got very depressed.

In terms of batteries, I really hate Toshiba for this. Why can't we buy these in the US?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2064861/toshiba-says-its-new-kira-ultrabook-packs-a-ridonkulous-22-hour-battery-life.html

Apple does it because they don't sell their computers with spec sheets. Their marketing is all focused on the things you will do with the hardware, not the things it can do or what specs it has inside it. This gets back to why I'm a programmer and why I like Apple hardware, because Apple acknowledges specs aren't the most important part of a computer and that there's still a lot there beyond what can be read with names and model numbers on a spec sheet.

Plus, when they say it gets 12 hours of battery life and the reviews claim 14 in most cases, the situation looks a lot better than if they had claimed 15 and it was very hard to get 15 hours out of it.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Of Course I'm trolling, anything that doesn't run Linux and was built by hand is overpriced

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

Of Course I'm trolling, anything that doesn't run Linux and was built by hand is overpriced

By built by hand I hope you don't mean... built from parts like mobos and things like we do, because this entire thread has been that PCs built from scratch are cheaper than macs and even normal PCs.

chill u guys go hardcore about this topic and prices macs are still $500 more then pc but u do get nice build quality from apple but most pc''s these days are pretty good build quality these days its all about the person macs are nice for travel and ruggedness and all around quality pc while stilll haveing good quality is for buisness gaming and for people who just prefer a pc

You aren't paying just for the build quality, though that is a selling point to macs. I have never seen anything more well built than a rMBP/MBA.

You pay for the overall hardware/spec, but not bang for buck.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.