Seagate Hard Drives Fail Easily?

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175089-who-makes-the-most-reliable-hard-drives

This is a very interesting article. I remember chatting with some people and one guy told me that Seagate hard drives fail easily (hence, he got a WD.)

These to graphs show that Seagate hard drives fail much earlier and have a higher chance then WD and Hitachi.

hard-drive-annual-failure-rate-hitachi-shard-drive-survival-rate-in-months-hitac

I've also read that the more capacity you have, the less longevity.

Do note that Backblaze use consumer drives, so Seagate would be the Barracuda family, WD Cavier Blacks, etc.

This concerns me because I have a Seagate Barracuda 3 TB.

Any thoughts on this article?

It's a lie. I've had Seagate hard drives last way over 10 years.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Lol do you think Seagate would still be in business if these results were accurate?

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Well this is not good news for my RAID setup. (RAID 0 with a 1.5 year old 500GB Seagate Barracuda and two 500GB WD Caviar Greens that I got used. Don't yell at me.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

My Seagate Barracuda 1 TB is making grinding noises under heavy load, but not clicking and same performance. I'll back it up, but not something I'll have to worry about right now.

I think this was discussed quite a lot in the past and this stats are basically lies

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Where's Toshiba? Samsung?

I think WD's failure rates are a lot higher than you expected. I have 5 WD drives from 2008 die on me the month I bought them. Last year, I bought a WD external drive. I regret buying it. It died the week I bought it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

It's a lie. I've had Seagate hard drives last way over 10 years.

That just means you didn't have bad luck. 

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

That just means you didn't have bad luck. 

Yeah, read the post I made above.

I think this was discussed quite a lot in the past and this stats are basically lies

Haven't seen a post to this but Backblaze is a company with server backup and they count their hard drives, I don't think they would have to lie.

Is this not the article that used normal drives for home computers in server situations that they are not designed to do?.

Also look how many Seagate drives they have vs others? This is a useless article IMHO

Just like last time, this information comes from Backblaze, an all-you-can-eat online backup company. Backblaze currently has around 28,000 hard drives powered up and constantly spinning, storing a total of around 80,000 terabytes (80 petabytes) of user data.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Is this not the article that used normal drives for home computers in server situations that they are not designed to do?.

Yep. This has been discussed on the forum already aswell.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Since when did Seagate make a 1.5 TB version?

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175089-who-makes-the-most-reliable-hard-drives

This is a very interesting article. I remember chatting with some people and one guy told me that Seagate hard drives fail easily (hence, he got a WD.)

These to graphs show that Seagate hard drives fail much earlier and have a higher chance then WD and Hitachi.

Do note that Backblaze use consumer drives, so Seagate would be the Barracuda family, WD Cavier Blacks, etc.

This concerns me because I have a Seagate Barracuda 3 TB.

Any thoughts on this article?

blackblaze bought external seagate drives took out the casing and put them in an enterprise envioment

its stupid .......

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Since when did Seagate make a 1.5 TB version?

I don't know...

This sounds like bullshit to me, for a start they have like 6x less WD drives than the other 2 and all the drives are of different ages, so how can you deduce that a new drive is more reliable than a 2 year old one if it hasn't had the same control period in which to fail?

I've had to RMA a WD2500AAKX twice with less than 4 hours of use on each. Meanwhile, my Barracuda ATA IV finally gave up the ghost after 1/4 of the drive had bad sectors.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just want to point out that those graphs contradict that statement. 

The graphs show that more capacity = more longevity (the 4TB's fail less annually than the 3TB for example).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Yeah these are bullshit results, don't believe this crap.

Linus talked about this before on a livestream a couple years ago...

Plus those graphs are way outdated.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Linus talked about this before on a livestream a couple years ago...

on a livestream a couple years ago...

a couple years ago...

years ago...

WHERE HAS THE TIME GONE??? D:

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

WHERE HAS THE TIME GONE??? D:

U WOT M8

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

U WOT M8

I started watching Linus over a year before the first live stream. 

Live streams have occurred years ago? That means a lot of time has past. Where has the time gone? D:

† Christian Member †

I started watching Linus over a year before the first live stream. 

Live streams have occurred years ago? That means a lot of time has past. Where has the time gone? D:

Yea man, look at when the first (archived) stream happened:

http://www.twitch.tv/linustech/b/334587924

2 years ago

All dat time has gone swirling down the drain, like your life.

xD

Spoiler

blackblaze bought external seagate drives took out the casing and put them in an enterprise envioment

its stupid .......

It said in the article that they were Barracuda 7200 rpm.

Where did you find that info? Obviously external hard drives would die sooner.