Apple launches 16GB iPod touch and it’s got a camera @ $199

Ebenesh

I'm getting an iPad, but come on. You think there's not even a 1% chance they will do it as a cheap upgrade. There is a £240/$408/€300 difference between the 16gb and 128gb ipads. That difference is about the same price as a GTX 770 here in the uk.

Im quite aware of that, but the price differences between the ipod touches has been reduced to $50 USD per size increase over $100 like last time

They are not out here in the UK yet so we dont know if that pricing will be continued here

Dont forget, 2 main reason people choose not to buy iphones is expandable storage, and big screens... so a 128gb 5.5" iphone would fix those 2 problems for many people

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

If I was a parent, I would much rather get my kid this than an iphone. its kinda rediculus that kids in middleschool or lower have a cell phone. what is your kid even doing that they need a cell? theres generally no excuse. plus with other kids/PARENTS having cells, if my kid needs to contact me they can use someone elses cell. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I fail to see where the other $400 comes from in order to turn that into a phone.

The iPods use older processors, have much weaker cameras, none of the antennas, lesser build quality, typically cheaper screens etc

I fail to see where the other $400 comes from in order to turn that into a phone.

Antennas, bulkier builds, better specs.

Sweet, I'll have to buy it when the new prices haven been applied here. Loved my ipod touch 4g :)

Do ipods work with spotify? They should right? Then it's a good thing.

Still too much money. I don't want to be forced to use iTunes. Using a folder structure is infinitely better.

I got into spotify not too long ago and I like it. If it works with spotify it's good.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

i am failing to see what is new here. did they literaly just re release the 5th gen ipod touch with ios 7? because that is exactly what it looks like

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Wondering on UK pricing, this is a really good price considering what you are getting, even has some decent headphones in the box

also the fact they are not charging crazy amounts for storage upgrades, and the new rumour about 128gb phones, could this actually be happening?

Imagine the iPhones coming with a cheap 64/128gb upgrade! DO IT APPLE

Makes me wonder if the iPhone will be 32, 64, 128? that would be quite exceptional

Considering electronics companies generally suck at maths, they probably won't convert the price and will retail it for £199.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Overpriced garbage =/. 16GB for $200!? No wonder Apple stays in business :huh: Much profit.

Considering electronics companies generally suck at maths, they probably won't convert the price and will retail it for £199..

Most likely will be £199 which is WAY to much, why should we pay like double for everything

Overpriced garbage =/. 16GB for $200!? No wonder Apple stays in business :huh: Much profit.

Not really? its an amazing piece of kit for the price

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Not really? its an amazing piece of kit for the price

Meh to some sure.

In the whole iPod lineup, the only product that is worth getting is the iPod classic imho. Not many options for large music libraries at such a low price (apple? low price? clearly from a different age).

iPod shuffle has no storage, iPod touch doesn't present any decent value to anyone already with a smartphone, iPod nano is too small for a touchscreen to work well.

Wish apple went back to a time when they sold products on their merits rather than on their branding.

I like ipod nano gen5

B002L6HDOC-4.jpg

Other than stupid camera placement

iPod-Nano-5th-gen-550x368.jpg

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

And here I am, still using my soon-to-be 9 year-old 20GB iPod...

-imagesnip-

i'm still happily rocking my iPod video 30GB, i think it's not much younger than yours, it should be 7 or 8 years old

that thing has an actual hard drive in it. damn, even my desktop pc doesn't have an hdd anymore

300542.jpg

I like ipod nano gen5

B002L6HDOC-4.jpg

Other than stupid camera placement

iPod-Nano-5th-gen-550x368.jpg

So did I - unfortunately can't get these new and the latest generation which has been out for a while has ditched the physical scroll wheel in favour of a one button touchscreen layout but much smaller, which is needlessly fiddly.

The iPods use older processors, have much weaker cameras, none of the antennas, lesser build quality, typically cheaper screens etc

Not true - they have the same manufacturing process, omit only the cellular antennae and have the exact same screen as a current gen iphone. The processor and cameras are typically one generation behind the iphone at any one time - similar to the ipad line. The cost isn't justified at all.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

So did I - unfortunately can't get these new and the latest generation which has been out for a while has ditched the physical scroll wheel in favour of a one button touchscreen layout but much smaller, which is needlessly fiddly.

I had a ipod nano 5g but sold it to get a ipod touch 4g awhile ago.  I wish i didnt, i would love to still have it today

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Meh to some sure.

How is $199 expensive? You've basically got a phone but without the GSM/LTE radio. It's pretty good. It's light, it has EarPods and has the wrist band etc. with it. It's great for the money.

i guess too many people were buying the moto g over an ipod as a music player, I'd still buy a moto g over an ipod touch...

How is $199 expensive? You've basically got a phone but without the GSM/LTE radio. It's pretty good. It's light, it has EarPods and has the wrist band etc. with it. It's great for the money.

moto g is still better imo. dont have to deal with itunes.

i guess too many people were buying the moto g over an ipod as a music player, I'd still buy a moto g over an ipod touch...

moto g is still better imo. dont have to deal with itunes.

there are alternatives of itunes out there... i use itools for my ipod touch 4th gen. But you have to install itunes before you install itools.........

The black one looks nice. I'll have to see if I can run Android on one of these.

XDA, hoooo!

i'm still happily rocking my iPod video 30GB, i think it's not much younger than yours, it should be 7 or 8 years old

that thing has an actual hard drive in it. damn, even my desktop pc doesn't have an hdd anymore

*snip*

I'm still amazed that my harddrive is working on my iPod.

So, what exactly sets this apart from the iPhone? Is it not a phone, just a camera (basically)?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

So, what exactly sets this apart from the iPhone? Is it not a phone, just a camera (basically)?

It is an iPod... primarily a music player, but has a relatively good processor, retina display and runs all the apps an iPhone does..

Its like a gameboy/media player for movies and music, basic camera etc etc, its a really nice device for $200