Apple launches 16GB iPod touch and it’s got a camera @ $199

Ebenesh

Not that anyone cares but remember that iPod touch that Apple launched with 16GB of storage and no camera ? Well now that iPod is now cheaper and to top it off it's got a camera... Here's the PR

iPod-Touch-5th-gen-press-shot.jpg

Apple Brings Vibrant Colors & iSight Camera to Most Affordable iPod touch Model iPod touch Lineup Now Starting at $199

CUPERTINO, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Apple® today announced its 16GB iPod touch® is now available in vibrant colors and equipped with a 5 megapixel iSight® camera for just $199. The entire iPod touch lineup features the 5 megapixel iSight camera with 1080p HD video recording, brilliant 4-inch Retina® display, Apple’s A5 chip and FaceTime® camera. iPod touch features an ultra-thin and light anodized aluminum design and is available in pink, yellow, blue, silver, space gray and (PRODUCT) RED. iPod touch comes in a 16GB model for $199, 32GB for $249, and 64GB for $299. iPod touch comes with iOS 7, offering more than 200 features including Camera app filters that let you easily add real-time photo effects. Additionally, the Photos app offers ways to automatically organize your photos based on time and location. With iCloud® Photo Sharing, it’s simple to share photos and videos with exactly the people you want to see them and your friends and family can comment and access their shared streams from any iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch, Mac® or PC at any time. This fall, iOS 8 will be supported on the entire iPod touch lineup. With the revolutionary App Store℠ on iPod touch, users in 155 countries have access to over 1.2 million apps for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, including hundreds of thousands of games. More than 75 billion apps have been downloaded from the App Store. Customers also have the iTunes Store® at their fingertips, giving instant access to an incredible selection of music, TV shows, movies and books to purchase and download directly to their iPod touch. Pricing & Availability iPod touch 16GB is available starting in the US today and worldwide in the coming days, in pink, yellow, blue, silver and space gray through the Apple Online Store (www.apple.com), Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested price of $199 (US). Starting today, the 32GB and 64GB models have been repriced worldwide, at a suggested price of $249 (US) for the 32GB model and $299 (US) for the 64GB model. iPod touch requires a Wi-Fi connection or a Mac with a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 port, Mac OS X v10.6.8 or later and iTunes® 10.7 or later; or a Windows PC with a USB 2.0 port and Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later and iTunes 10.7 or later. An Apple ID is required for some iPod touch features.

For 150EU I'd get one, but not for anything more.

No offence but the iPod touch might be overpriced but it is a great media player and does most of the tasks a phone can do if there is wifi :P NO OFFENCE ! NOT A FANBOY !

No offence but the iPod touch might be overpriced but it is a great media player and does most of the tasks a phone can do if there is wifi :P NO OFFENCE ! NOT A FANBOY !

I did purchase my first and only iPod touch in 2008, used it for 2 years and bought iPhones since then. 

Still using my iPhone 4s as my smartphone and music player daily.

wow, I was suprised they did this.
Not having a camera or colors on the 16GB was a blatant push towards the 32GB model. I guess it is going to be good for some people out there.

Why no update the Classic? Apple. My 160GB classic is sooo old.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

I fail to see where the other $400 comes from in order to turn that into a phone.

Better hardware, better camera, development, iphone taxesTM, development and real taxes. 

Wondering on UK pricing, this is a really good price considering what you are getting, even has some decent headphones in the box

also the fact they are not charging crazy amounts for storage upgrades, and the new rumour about 128gb phones, could this actually be happening?

Imagine the iPhones coming with a cheap 64/128gb upgrade! DO IT APPLE

Makes me wonder if the iPhone will be 32, 64, 128? that would be quite exceptional

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I still use my Ipod touch 4th Gen, because copying music on it isnt as complicated as on an Android Device (Samsung Galaxy 4 mini)

Better hardware, better camera, development, iphone taxesTM, development and real taxes. 

the camera of the ipod touch 4 sucks 10 times more than the camera of the Iphone 4

Wait is this the iPod 6?

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

I fail to see where the other $400 comes from in order to turn that into a phone.

i always wondered

the camera of the ipod touch 4 sucks 10 times more than the camera of the Iphone 4

the extra 400 is mostly for service costs. if you get it with a contract, you aren't paying nearly as much up front (which is the phone itself) there is some cost of the phone in the contract, but that covers the extra and better hardware compared to the ipod seen here.

the reason an unlocked phone is so damn much is because they want that money regardless of if you get a contract or not.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Agreed !

What planet does apple live on where an additional 16gb of flash storage costs $100? 16gb??? I thought it was 2014.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

It's the same thing with Google Glass. What the product costs to make isn't near what it costs for a consumer to purchase.

Granted Glass is just a prototype still, burn you're still paying for development and employee paychecks no matter what.

I have a 32gb iPod Touch, and it's a fabulous bit of kit

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

In the whole iPod lineup, the only product that is worth getting is the iPod classic imho. Not many options for large music libraries at such a low price (apple? low price? clearly from a different age).

iPod shuffle has no storage, iPod touch doesn't present any decent value to anyone already with a smartphone, iPod nano is too small for a touchscreen to work well.

Wish apple went back to a time when they sold products on their merits rather than on their branding.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

Still too much money. I don't want to be forced to use iTunes. Using a folder structure is infinitely better.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

wow, I was suprised they did this.

Not having a camera or colors on the 16GB was a blatant push towards the 32GB model. I guess it is going to be good for some people out there.

Why no update the Classic? Apple. My 160GB classic is sooo old.

Mine is almost 4 years old now :P

It would be cool so see a newer Classic but I don't think they're going back to the original with the buttons when touchscreen is so popular and common now.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

I actually use my iPod touch as a phone, as long as I have wifi, I have a phone :D

Although I smashed the screen, it still works but the screen is utterly ruined. I may buy one of these as a replacement instead of finding somewhere that'll fix the screen for a non-unreasonable amount.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

If you could drag and drop MP3s and not have to use iTunes I'd be tempted to get it

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Wondering on UK pricing, this is a really good price considering what you are getting, even has some decent headphones in the box

also the fact they are not charging crazy amounts for storage upgrades, and the new rumour about 128gb phones, could this actually be happening?

Imagine the iPhones coming with a cheap 64/128gb upgrade! DO IT APPLE

Makes me wonder if the iPhone will be 32, 64, 128? that would be quite exceptional

I'm getting an iPad, but come on. You think there's not even a 1% chance they will do it as a cheap upgrade. There is a £240/$408/€300 difference between the 16gb and 128gb ipads. That difference is about the same price as a GTX 770 here in the uk.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X