So I ended up with 3 290x's...

richhobo

So during my ebay browsing adventure I ended up finding a XFX 290x for an extremely good price that is in near perfect condition. However a guy reached out to me and offered me an equally attractive price for the sapphire tri-x which i obviously couldn't refuse. Since i was planning to dual-crossfire, I thought getting two matching cards would be more aesthetically pleasing (i know its not necessary, but shush) So i went ahead and got 2 of the sapphire's cuz well ya know their sapphires. But now I have a dilemma. I initially planned to sell the XFX on ebay so I could make some money back but after I got it, and it's in such a good condition I'm fairly tempted to keep it. However this could be a potential problem for me. I was planning on getting the H440 NXZT case which isn't all that large, and can barely house this card as it is. Has anyone seen a triple sli/crossfire set up in one of these? I was also planning on water cooling this case, and that also takes up a lot of space >.> any advice on what to do? make dis shit fit? (tri- sli + water cooling) sell a card to have room in the case? Get a different case? From what i've seen tri-crossfire scaling seems to be worth it as the performance boost is linear. I should also mention that i'm planning on 4k gaming and such so i could use extra GPU power but idk if 3 of em is over kill or not

If you can fit three GPU's in that case depends on your motherboard

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| Pixel 4XL 128GB - Clearly White - Unlocked - Carrier: Visible |

| F@H STATS |

For 4k at this point, nothing is overkill. 

If you do have legitimate plans to begin 4k gaming, you'll want all three of those 290x's for sure. 

You only need 2

4k only needs 60fps atm

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You only need 2

4k only needs 60fps atm

He said he had plans on 4k gaming in the future; who knows what the future might hold.

For all we know, we could have 120hz (tn) 4k panels in November.

//ccap

You can tri-SLI in the H440 with the right mobo, but you probably shouldn't. If you like the look, go for the H630 instead. It's a beast of a watercooling case that you can get for the same price as the H440 at micro center ($120 US), which leaves some money for the windowed side panel.

You're and your are not the same. Neither are their, there, and they're. Defiantly and Definitely are definitely not the same. Definately and Rediculous are not words, and you should feel bad for misspelling them. If English is your first language, you don't have a learning disorder, and you get any of these wrong, you are making the entire forum slightly dumber by doing so. Please take the extra three seconds to type properly, and have a nice day.

You better have a jet turbine to cool your PC man. Those 3 290Xs are going to make your room feel like a desert.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Even at 4k res I think dual R9 290Xs would be enough. Some are forgetting that AMD cards thrive in 1440p or higher res and if it comes to worse yo can turn down from ultra settings to high settings later on. Quote from my gamer colleague : you can never future proof a system.

Looked around at tri-scaling.

Seems quite good. Most issues look like its from quadfire but trifire results look way better.

If it was my choice I would keep the three.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

If you do keep all three, PLEASE make a monster water cooling rig. You'll need it. 

It's the only way to go when dealing with Tri GPU's :D

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

It's the only way to go when dealing with Tri GPU's :D

*cough* why aren't you water cooled *cough* 

*cough* why aren't you water cooled *cough* 

In the mix of gathering up all the parts :D, trust me there will be water cooling in my build bro.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

If you keep the card you'll want a full tower E-ATX case. Instead of watercooling I would look into custom VGA cooler with good airflow, but that's just me. Watercooling for 3 cards seems like it would requires patience and money, two of which I am short on.

maxresdefault.jpg

Okay. Seems like the general consensus is to keep em, and I'm very okay with that. And yea by water cooling I mean I will have a custom loop going, I just got the xpsc 360 kit and looks like I'll have to get 3 gpu blocks to keep this bitch under control. Two questions now tho, one will a 1000w psu be enough? And does someone know of a beautiful case with a large side window so I can stare at my sweet set up all day?

If you are going with the H440, and three cards in crossfire, then you HAVE to watercool it. The h440 is a really great looking case, but it is not very well ventilated, and the airflow is not great.....At least when we are talking about this kind of heat output that three GPUs will cause.

Okay. Seems like the general consensus is to keep em, and I'm very okay with that. And yea by water cooling I mean I will have a custom loop going, I just got the xpsc 360 kit and looks like I'll have to get 3 gpu blocks to keep this bitch under control. Two questions now tho, one will a 1000w psu be enough? And does someone know of a beautiful case with a large side window so I can stare at my sweet set up all day?

Corsair 750d.....Massive, MASSIVE window. corsair_750d_angled.jpg

Or the switch

nzxt-switch.jpg

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

900d,

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Two questions now tho, one will a 1000w psu be enough? 

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/05/13/amd_radeon_r9_295x2_xfx_290x_dd_trifire_review/9#.U5iocfldWSo

I figure yours will be a little bit lower, because your gpu's will be kept colder.

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal

and two 290X's are in capable of putting out 60fps in AAA titles.

Yes, at ultra settings no AA.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

yeah is coin mining still a thing.... but man I hope you have an Air Con in your room 

$$金Trill金$$

Yes, at ultra settings no AA.

BF4, Crysis 3, Metro Last Light, I can think of those 3 games off the top of my head that a 290X Crossfire setup can't run Ultra with AA disabled and achieve 60fps average. You have to look through multiple sources, which you can Google yourself, but two 290X's in Crossfire are insufficient to achieve 60fps average with ultra/max settings with AA disabled. Games will only become more demanding this year, not less demanding. With things like the UE4 engine hitting the market, current standards no longer apply.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194