EVGA teases new 1600 T2 PSU based off Superflower Leadex 80+ Titanium unit

VSG

OMG i want a 2000W 80+ ti psu for my test bench :P FX9590 with 4 way CF 290X here i come!

Haha, make a video plz!

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Haha, make a video plz!

i would love to :P the monies though!  :blink:

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Good stuff, but it'd be more interesting if they had 80+ Titanium units in the 500-800W range.

This.

Would there ever be a time where someone needed a 1600W PSU?

edit

Apparently, after reading some of the posts, it is needed.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

You guys do know how efficiency works with PSU's, right? To be in the highest efficiency area, you need to be ~50% of the total the PSU can throughput. So if your system is capable of pulling 500w max, then you are recommended to buy a 1000w PSU, however people ignore this and go for a 600w/700w because it's A.) cheaper and B.)they don't care for the 2%-10% extra efficiency(depending on level of PSU(Platinum).

Why should anyone care about efficiency, as a home desktop user?  The difference in the powerbill will take years to make up the difference between a $50-$100 power supply and a $200-$300 one.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Why should anyone care about efficiency, as a home desktop user?  The difference in the powerbill will take years to make up the difference between a $50-$100 power supply and a $200-$300 one.

However, it is worth it if you live in an area that charges a high KwH, such as California, the east coast of the U.S., Hawaii, etc.

I know a lot of people can't afford a $300 PSU, but if you are in a high cent per KwH area, then you might benefit in the long run of buying a $200 Platinum grade PSU.

PSU's can last for years, between multiple builds. I still have a 1000w PSU from 2007/8 and it still handles loads and draws just fine.

PSU's can last for years, between multiple builds. I still have a 1000w PSU from 2007/8 and it still handles loads and draws just fine.

Certainly, and I generally think it's worth it to buy a good one upfront and get all the awesome extra cables and stuff.  

But we're talking about at most a 15% difference between an 80+ certified PSU and an 80+ titanium certified PSU. (Assuming 50% load on the titanium vs 100% load on the 80+)  Unless you're running a server or mining PC that's operating 24/7, we're talking at most a couple of dollars per year.  Even if you keep a power supply for 10 years, you'll be hard pressed to justify the large price difference between an average 500-800W 80+ Silver/Gold PSU and a 1000-1600 W 80+ gold/titanium PSU. 

That's at best 15% less on your power bill, but that's assuming the rest of your electricity usage remains constant the entire time.  (Which it doesn't.)  The net impact is really quite trivial.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

A 1200w was not enough for 2 on my 290x cards in CFX, let alone 3 or 4. Everyone I know with quad 290x have dual PSUs.

Do you have a microwave plugged into your power supply?

I find it odd that the rest of the computing industry is trying to get things to use less power and stuff.... meanwhile PSU manufacturers are like LOLO MORE POWER.

I suppose they are more efficient at it though.

the rest of the computing industry, except AMD. they don't care at all.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

It's not necessarily about the efficiency, it's about the fact that achieving that kind of efficiency generally means the manufacturer invested more into quality componentry. It also means the unit will run cooler. Cooler operation, in turn, translates into better acoustics.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

That PSU has to have a high efficiency rating at that power level. A normal 15A 110 socket can only do about 1.7KW and it's recommended to stay at 80% or under which is 1440W. 

What system would you need to utilize all 1600w with this PSU. Because I can't think of anything unless you were running a really big or inefficient server.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

What system would you need to utilize all 1600w with this PSU. Because I can't think of anything unless you were running a really big or inefficient server.

Generally speaking, this is why:

450W-efficiency.jpg

You get peak efficiency at around 50% load.

So If you had an ~750w computer or server, you would get the most efficiency out of this PSU.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

450W-efficiency.jpg

So If you had an ~750w computer or server, you would get the most efficiency out of this PSU.

Most likely if the load stayed consistent. 

However, the price tag is probably going to be a beast as well.

450W-efficiency.jpg

cool

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

However, it is worth it if you live in an area that charges a high KwH, such as California, the east coast of the U.S., Hawaii, etc.

I know a lot of people can't afford a $300 PSU, but if you are in a high cent per KwH area, then you might benefit in the long run of buying a $200 Platinum grade PSU.

This is the dumbest argument I have ever heard dude. Unless your electricity is so expensive you are basically never boiling the kettle, it will NEVER EVER be better off in the long run buying a higher efficiency PSU. Lets say you have a rig that pulls 500W. You are saying its sometimes better off buying a 1000W platinum PSU over a 750W bronze to save money.

Lets do the maths shall we?

Lets pick denmark, since it has one of the highest electricity costs around $0.45/kWh, and lets say you have your PC on AT 500W LOAD 4 hours a day. (Yes, people use their PC's more/less than this, but this is an example, changing this factor would not affect the overall ratio of costs)

A 750W Bronze PSU, lets take the XFX 750W Pro XXX as an example.

At 500W usage, it has around 87% efficiency. This means it will pull around 565W from the wall.

565 * 4 hours = 2.260 kWh per day = $0.92 a day.

Now lets take a 1000W platinum PSU, the super flower leadex platinum 1000W.

At 500W usage, it has around 93% efficiency. This means it will pull around 535W from the wall.

535 * 4 hours = 2.140 kWh per day = $0.87 a day.

So you save 5 cents a day going for a 1000W platinum PSU over a 750W bronze in a country that has one of the highest electricity prices in the world.

Cost of the PSU?

MSRP of the super flower = $249

MSRP of the XFX = $120

With the difference being $130, you would have to have the PSU for 2600 days using 500W for 4 hours a day IN DENMARK TO BREAK EVEN.

That's 7 years dude. Yes, technically, you were correct, but its mathematically impossible for you to not be, however this relies on the fact that your PSU lasts this long, doesn't degrade over time and that you have more money up front just to save a few cents a day at most 10 years down the road!

A 1200w was not enough for 2 on my 290x cards in CFX, let alone 3 or 4. Everyone I know with quad 290x have dual PSUs.

There was something wrong with it then. I run 2 R9 290's from an 850W PSU and it works fine.

Certainly, and I generally think it's worth it to buy a good one upfront and get all the awesome extra cables and stuff.  

But we're talking about at most a 15% difference between an 80+ certified PSU and an 80+ titanium certified PSU. (Assuming 50% load on the titanium vs 100% load on the 80+)  Unless you're running a server or mining PC that's operating 24/7, we're talking at most a couple of dollars per year.  Even if you keep a power supply for 10 years, you'll be hard pressed to justify the large price difference between an average 500-800W 80+ Silver/Gold PSU and a 1000-1600 W 80+ gold/titanium PSU. 

That's at best 15% less on your power bill, but that's assuming the rest of your electricity usage remains constant the entire time.  (Which it doesn't.)  The net impact is really quite trivial.

If they're built right they should last a decade easily. Then if the customer service is good refurbishing should be cheap (ike with PC Power & Cooling).

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Voltage man, voltage.

Fully watercooled rigs with just 2 GPU's and massive over-voltage on the CPU & GPU's can easily hit 1000 + watts, like @VSG said previously, a 1200w wasn't enough for his two 290x's.

If you browse the 290x Lightning thread on OCN, you can see MANY people with 2-4 lightnings run dual PSU's.   The one 290x lightning I had could hit 360 watt TDP with only the "stock" coolers on it, and I still had lots more headroom on voltage that I could of pushed.

The two 780's I had at 1.325 volts on water pulled 350w a piece & my 3930k @ 5 ghz 1.525v pulled 340w according to intel extreme tuning utility , people with 1200W PSU's and dual titans on water with voltage hacks have hit the overcurrent protection on their PSU as well.

These PSU's obviously aren't for the everyday user, it'll be for people that go bat shit crazy on 4 GPU's & an x99 chip, or for extreme overclockers.

They wouldn't of designed and released this product if there wasn't demand for it, so obviously some people do want this.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

OMG i want a 2000W 80+ ti psu for my test bench :P FX9590 with 4 way CF 290X here i come!

You'll have a hard time pushing 4x 290x's to full load with that CPU.