Share your Successful PC fix stories.

We all had our Bad days and Good days with our personal computers , and we quite often get called on by other to fix problems for other's , We all heard of PC horror stories, But only a few look back that often at the problems they fixed when it seemed impossible, especially with a Windows PC's.

So , Post your Success stories that you had when solution seemed impossible B)

:ph34r: a ninja helps the weak,only when it's at it's weakest

Details separate people.

Pc won't boot right after building.

Heartrate drops to 0.

Flip PSU switch.

Boot up just fine.

Story of my life! :D

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Pressed CLR CMOS = turn on.

On a sad note, i RMAed every part of my mothers pc for 5 months and it still wont boot.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Having worked in a computer repair place... there would be too many to tell... and I'm too lazy to type... 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Almost returned a mobo, forgot to plug in the cpu 

-__-

CPU, 8350 @ 4.3 ghz | CPU COOLER, Hyper 212 EVO | ,MOBO, Gigabyte UD3 AM3+ 990FX | RAM, 8 gb  G.Skill ripjaw 1866mhz | GPUASUS 7970 | CASE, Corsair 230T black and red STORAGE, WD caviar blue 1 TB 7200 rpm | PSU, XFX 750 watt 80+ gold | Keyboard, K70 mx blue (black/red) | Mouse Razer naga hex, | Monitors, Asus VG248QE 24in 1080p, Dell 24in monitor 1080p |

PC wont work, Goes and builds a new one.

Motherboard wont work, goes and returns it and gets a new one pre tested the same day.

new GPU cooler´s fan is broken, removes the fans from the cooler and slaps on 2 120mm corsair SP fans and calls it a day. ghetto mounted ftw

>Computer keeps crashing

>Look inside

>Capacitors leaking all over the place

>Try to boot but nothing comes up

>BIOS not working after several reboots

>Reinstall windows and it magically works

>Computer is alive again

>BSoD again

>Gets new pc and tosses the old one out (6 years old... Athlon x2 6000+)

I rarely have computer problems, and I'm the one usually fixing someone else's computer.  :P

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

My old Dell's power supply had failed, and it used one of the stupid small ones, so I had to take my regular power supply, drill holes in the case, set the power supply on top, and then taped it down. Worked great for the month I had to use it afterwords.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Customer brings in a laptop and says "the trackpad don't work anymore".  I pressed FN + F9 and my customer hung his head in shame, picked the laptop up and walked out of the store.  I laughed about that for the rest of the day.   :D

• H80i Pump stops

Punch H80i Pump

Pump starts again

MVP for the rest of the day

I can cover 90% of my "fixed it" stories with this:

*User calls, I answer*

"Yeah?"

"I have a proble-"

"Be there in a second."

"Uh... Oka-" *I hang up*

*I arrive.* "What's the issue?"

"Oh, well you see, [insert problem as they try to replicate it to show me].... huh. It's working fine now. Thanks."

"You're welcome. Send an email to IT documenting my work." *goes back to desk*

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I can cover 90% of my "fixed it" stories with this:

*User calls, I answer*

"Yeah?"

"I have a proble-"

"Be there in a second."

"Uh... Oka-" *I hang up*

*I arrive.* "What's the issue?"

"Oh, well you see, [insert problem as they try to replicate it to show me].... huh. It's working fine now. Thanks."

"You're welcome. Send an email to IT documenting my work." *goes back to desk*

Dang that must suck lol.... 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

>Playing a game, randomly PC freezes, re-boot PC

>No LED indicator on PCI-E lane #1, think GPU is dead

>jiggle pci-e power cables, reboot

>pc works

>giant sigh of relief, no RMA duty for me

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Got a laptop to fix from someone my dad works with, the second it boots up, cpu+gpu ramp up to 100%, mouse wont even move. pop ups about connecting to dial up show up. 

boot into safe mode without networking+avast on a usb, cleans it up. good to go. 10 minutes of work and 100$ richer:D

When I first built my computer it would only work half the time, and it would shut off randomly. I found that putting it horizontally made it stay on longer, but when I lightly hit it then it would instantly power off. A couple days later I realized it was the ram that was not fully inserted into the slots :P And every time it disconnected the computer would crash. This was back when I knew nothing about computers, and had no idea how hard you need to push ram into the slots that have the one sided clip.

Also a long time ago when I bought by first SSD and was installing windows on it, I could not get it to boot properly. Ten all by myself I figured out how to change the boot priorities in the bios so that the SSD would be the only drive the computer would try to boot from. This was all me myself and I figuring the UEFI out with no manual, internet, or help from anyone.

When I bought my 2TB HDD It wouldn't get recognised by windows, but after a couple minutes I figured out how to see the drive in the administrative tools and assign a letter to it as well as format :) Again with no help from the internet or previous experience.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Figuring out that a wonked install disc of windows caused my new PC to freeze.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

while doing cable management i removed my hdd sata cable (my hdd had not at that point been backed up either). I then turned on my pc to find out that it wouldn't load windows, i almost lost everything on my pc, but luckily i fixed it. I guess that's both a horror and good story though.

I run my own indie game company called Color Dragon Studios where we are currently making a 2d platformer game called Small Earth.