What to do with an Old PC?

Been awhile since I’ve posted. I’ve been using this Asus Laptop, and it’s incredible! This however leaves my Dell Optiplex 990 to rot. But I’m starting to think that maybe I could do something with it. If I use it again, I’ll definitely install Windows 7 or Vista on it. Windows 10 doesn’t work too well on it, and I might do Vista since from what I’ve used, 7 sucks and Vista is actually really good! My main question is…what do I do with it? I already have a backup XP machine that lets me use old programs and do some work crap, so should I make it that? I could also make it a server, or sell it for profit? What do you think? 

Dedicated old software machine. Install XP/Vista/7, load it up with old games, old versions of software, etc.

Sometimes having something that just works with no frills is nice, put Windows 7 and Office 2007 on it, never worry about needing powerpoint or something ever again.

55 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Dedicated old software machine. Install XP/Vista/7, load it up with old games, old versions of software, etc.

Sometimes having something that just works with no frills is nice, put Windows 7 and Office 2007 on it, never worry about needing powerpoint or something ever again.

But I already have an old software machine! My old XP Computer. Use it for work and old games all the time. Is there something else?

1 hour ago, Zac_The_Dude said:

This however leaves my Dell Optiplex 990 to rot. But I’m starting to think that maybe I could do something with it.

It is the type of thing we put an SSD into, ~250GB, have at least 2, preferably 4GB of RAM and install Linux Mint, Cinnamon desktop. It then becomes a fast powerful desktop.

16 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

It is the type of thing we put an SSD into, ~250GB, have at least 2, preferably 4GB of RAM and install Linux Mint, Cinnamon desktop. It then becomes a fast powerful desktop.

I has an SSD with 512 GB and 8GB of Ram. I don’t think I’ll install Linux because I’m WAAAAYYY to used to Windows.

28 minutes ago, Zac_The_Dude said:

I has an SSD with 512 GB and 8GB of Ram. I don’t think I’ll install Linux because I’m WAAAAYYY to used to Windows.

Then this might be a use case, a dedicated test bed to figure out Linux.

put Ubuntu and steam on it, try and get it to play Skyrim, learning experience 

I would setup a NAS for family photos (do still have a backup).

8 hours ago, Zac_The_Dude said:

I don’t think I’ll install Linux because I’m WAAAAYYY too used to Windows.

My partner had her Windows 10 wiped completely by Microsoft, October 2018. As everything was backed up on another disk with Linux Mint I simply swapped the disk data cable and she carried on as if nothing had changed.... except each month nothing got broken by MS.

Another, a laptop user, couldn't get her assignments done on Windows, a Linux SSD fitted, assignments done, qualifications and a job.... simple.

Over 50 laptops done for users and over 100 computers all together.

Unfortunately I sometimes have to sort out a Windows computer or two for people. What disasters they are. Certainly not as logical or even possible to set up everything as wanted.