Status of Asus?

Earlier this year a breakup was announced:

Since then, Asus products have continued to be very prominent showcased in LTT videos.

It seemed that the Asus contact LTT had was actively trying to improve the situation, so LMG continued to show Asus products but an update to the linked post was never made.

At the same time, the reports of RMA problems have never stopped, and yet yield in a GN video:

As such, what is the official status of LTT/LMG as far as Asus is concerned?

People never go out of business.

Posted (edited)

bet ya $10 they will release a statement saying.

Blah blah blah we regret this happened, it does not fit the expected behavior of our customer server staff.

blah blah blah we are looking into what happened to make sure this doesn't happen again.

blah blah blah we are for gamers and hope you can keep your trust in us blah blah blah.

You know a non-committal non-apology BS statement that means nothing and says nothing while making it seem like they care.

Edited by joshfrog
Spelling

6 minutes ago, joshfrog said:

bet ya $10 they will release a statement saying.

Blah blah blah we regret this happened, it does not fit the expected behavior of our customer server staff.

blah blah blah we are looking into what happened to make sure this doesn't happen again.

blah blah blah we are for gamers and hope you can keep your trust in us blah blah blah.

You know a non-committal non-apology BS statement that means nothing and says nothing while making it seem like they care.

Blah blah blah we regret this happened, it does not fit the expected behavior of our customer server staff. They should've kept pressing for more money for illusionary damage

blah blah blah we are looking into what happened to make sure this doesn't happen again. No more capitulating on our side

blah blah blah we are for gamers money and hope you can keep your trust in us trying to rip you off through warranty claim blah blah blah.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

12 minutes ago, joshfrog said:

Have you seen the replies that the ASUS-bot here gives to any reported problem?  You're completely spot on.

I have never personally had any issues out of asus regarding failing hardware or support. However, with many of the things that have come up in the recent months I am hesitant on using them again in the future.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU:  Intel Core i7-14700K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000

Storage 1: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB

Storage 2: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x2)
Monitor Main: MSI G274QPF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

I never had to RMA anything with ASUS but every time I contacted their support I was left frustrated and had to figure out solution by myself. 

I have just finished watching the Gamers Nexus video and its things like this that mean i wont be buying the ROG Ally.

Linus talks about how good it is and how he doesn't use the SteamDeck and i get it the performance is better.

I live in Australia currently the the SteamDeck isn't available here officially, still after 2 years but i can go to my local JB-HIFI a national retailer in Australia and buy an ROG Ally. I have a SteamDeck i got from an import and its Asus and there behavior that turns me off getting ANYTHING Asus including the ROG Ally hens why i got an import SteamDeck and am looking at getting the OLED version.

The sad thing is Asus isn't alone in this soft of behavior MSI keep getting caught and in trouble for scummy things, Gigabyte too, i don't think the outcome of the hack that happened with Gigabyte and the cluster fuck with there RMA/warranty stuff every really got resolved so who do you buy from.

EVGA appears to be out of the marked and ASrock looks to be the only game in don't that you don't hear scummy things about in the PC parts community but I'm sure if look around they might have skeletons too.

Sponsorship and product reviews are still two different things. Don't worry, you are not the only one who has issues with understanding what's the difference. Asus is still major hardware manufacturer in tech space. Excluding their products from reviews or overviews would be odd choice. You can make arguments about passive product placements and whatnot. But that's still different than making sponsored showcases and sponsor reads/and-spots.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Sponsorship and product reviews are still two different things.

I can’t speak if non-sponsored coverage will pop up at some point. Or if one of their GPUs will end up in a build we do on stream. But we will not be taking money or product from them in exchange for anything we produce until we see follow through on improving their products and customer support.

I would read it in such a way that they would ask other partners/brands for products rather than Asus.

People never go out of business.

i have a Rog Ally and love the hardware, this is generally my thing with ASUS, they make VERY good hardware, also generally boards and GPU´s design wise are done well (they had their ups, like the voltage issue on the X670e (which i have) and the TUF 5700XT that i also ended up picking up cheap used).

but the customer service is BELOW par, and for me it became the end, as i said i love my Rog Ally but have had the SD card issue for a while, and i just ended up keeping it, because i am nervous about the response, i have changed the NVME, and you cannot take it apart without some very minor marks in the Plastic.. so the thing Steve had is MINOR if not just normal.

So i was ordering a 4090 Strix, but since the Suprim was same price, i ended up today just going MSI instead, just because i think i have had enough of Asus poor service.

1 hour ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

I would read it in such a way that they would ask other partners/brands for products rather than Asus.

That's still different from reviewing stuff... LTT doesn't do round-ups, but that would be situation where it would be reasonable seeing Asus products as they have notable marketshare. And also good place to note issues with customer care.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, joshfrog said:

I live in Australia currently the the SteamDeck isn't available here officially, still after 2 years but i can go to my local JB-HIFI a national retailer in Australia and buy an ROG Ally. I have a SteamDeck i got from an import and its Asus and there behavior that turns me off getting ANYTHING Asus including the ROG Ally hens why i got an import SteamDeck and am looking at getting the OLED version.

I too live in Australia and I very recently ordered an OLED Steam Deck (it hasn't arrived yet). One of the things that made me a little more comfortable about going the grey-import route with the deck is that aside from the very robust consumer laws we have here in AU, I feel like Valve has put a great deal of effort into making the Steam Deck as user-serviceable as possible. Really that's one of the major things that's won me over about it vs the Ally and similar products.

I'm just happy that I banned ASUS from my own personal builds back in 2002.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

21 hours ago, Erioch said:

Have you seen the replies that the ASUS-bot here gives to any reported problem?  You're completely spot on.

20 hours ago, joshfrog said:

Maybe i am the Asus-bot who can say. Not me i cant answer those sorts of questions.

I'm not ASUS's biggest fan by any stretch, but don't take out your grievances on the employee that was tasked with trying to make the situation better. Your problem is with the management who's directing that employee to respond in the way they did. If ASUS gave more independence and inspired CS staff to make the right decision within certain parameters, I highly doubt a lot of these issues would remain unresolved for very long. A broad interpretation I know, but be careful about putting the blame on a single person when this is very clearly a systemic issue.

21 hours ago, WereCat said:

I never had to RMA anything with ASUS but every time I contacted their support I was left frustrated and had to figure out solution by myself. 

Same. I solved a BIOS update issue FOR THEM and let their support staff know about it, I didn't even get an autogenerated response I think they just straight trashed my email like they didn't even want to know that it COULD be solved let alone HOW to solve it.

I don't think we are blaming 1 person or even a lower down person just releasing the statement that they are told to by Asus management we are just making fun of how bad Asus is.

When i see bad management of an issue/s as Asus appears to keep having it would be top level managers as i would assume the lower rung workers who are passionate about there job try to make there work place better do care that the brand is being dragged threw the mud but at the same time when your customer service staff are sending emails such as those in the GN video it also makes it appear longer rung staff also don't care.

Granted some of the emails GN got looked to be template emails that just get sent out by an event trigger in there internal systems. 

Still doesn't look good to the customer or viewer when those sorts of emails come threw.

With the amount of bad press the brand keeps getting from gamer's or tech media it's troubling that no one from Asus has reached out publicly to find out the actual experience the customer has interacting with the brand. To be fair they may have, i don't do social media and could have missed it. 

It's as much a PR issue as it is hardware failure problem but if reports are correct and they still haven't admitted the dead card reader issue is a hardware problem that exists that becomes an honesty and integrity problem that PR can try to fix but ultimately wont unless real change happens.

3 hours ago, joshfrog said:

It's as much a PR issue as it is hardware failure problem but if reports are correct and they still haven't admitted the dead card reader issue is a hardware problem that exists that becomes an honesty and integrity problem that PR can try to fix but ultimately wont unless real change happens.

They tend not to admit anything. There is a b550 itx motherboard that has hw issues with rtx4000 and pcie4. There is no recall and you need to jump through 100 hoops while balancing a decorative snail on your lips to get it swapped. And even then it takes months.

I swear, customer support is responsible for the birth of the modern Karen because of the crappy goals of "support" trying to squeeze every last cent from you till you can no longer take it. It's sickening.

I never had issues with ASUS but idk if its because of how Danish law works. Most of the stores here is the one that needs to pay if there is a issues and then they can take it with the company that is making the device. But it doesn't suprise me anymore. Now i need to find a new motherboard when i order a new pc next month....

49 minutes ago, MrXeno said:

I never had issues with ASUS but idk if its because of how Danish law works. Most of the stores here is the one that needs to pay if there is a issues and then they can take it with the company that is making the device. But it doesn't suprise me anymore. Now i need to find a new motherboard when i order a new pc next month....

In the EU it's pretty common practice that the retailer is responsible until their warranty expires, which is usually 2 years, at which point the manufacturer's warranty takes over if it's longer than that. So if you have a problem 2 years after you bought it, you will probably have to take it up directly with the manufacturer.

I also have a pretty ridiculous story if anyone is interested:

Spoiler

This was a few years ago, but I sent in a PG35VQ (a $2500 monitor) because the fan was getting annoyingly loud. After they received my RMA (luckily I still had the retail box, otherwise shipping a monitor is very risky), it took about 1 week to get a replacement. Yes, a whole new monitor. They really just sent me another $2500 monitor instead of replacing an internal fan. At this point I was thinking "my win" because who wouldn't want a new monitor just a few months before the warranty on the original model runs out.

However, the new unit they sent me had a broken OSD joystick, so I couldn't change any of the picture settings. I opened a new ticket, they apologized for the inconvenience and received another replacement about 1 week later. Again, they sent me a new unit, not a repaired one.

This one had a bunch of dead pixels. At this point it occurred to me that they might be sending out refurbished units as warranty replacements, which is questionable in terms of legality here in Germany. But since the units they sent out were not fully functional and free of defects, they wouldn't have any legal grounds to force me to keep these defective monitors. And the replacements didn't come in a retail box. Just the foam from the retail box with a blank outer box. So again, it's just a guess.

So 3rd time's the charm, I opened another ticket, stating the situation and adding that I want my original unit back, but with a repaired fan, not a new or refurbished model. As a response they said this is not possible because apparently it has been thrown in the e-waste. Now I don't know if that's true or if they repaired it and then sent it out as a replacement for another RMA customer. I told them to escalate the issue to their supervisor and gave them one last chance to fix this.

A few emails and 2 weeks later I received a brand new retail boxed model with no problems. At that point I was just happy for this to be over and let the whole thing go.

To this day, it's still crazy to me how much trouble I had asking for a fan replacement under warranty. And idk how much of that was on Asus or the 3rd party service center that handled the replacements. So at this point I still didn't blacklist Asus from future purchases.

I never bought another monitor with a fan inside though.

Boy, that was a hoot and a half.

Today, the only Asus component in my entire setup is the motherboard. I really hope it doesn't cause me any problems until it's time to upgrade in a few years. Since I still have potential CPU upgrades on the AM4, I hope it holds up.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.