Microsoft shuts down four studios: Tango Gameworks, Arkane Austin, Alpha Dog Games and Roundhouse Games

KeradSnake

Summary

Microsoft has decided to shut down four of its game studios: Tango Gameworks, Arkane Austin, Alpha Dog Games and Roundhouse Games (Alpha Dog and Roundhouse will be merged into Zenimax Online Studios).

Tango Gameworks confirmed all of their games will remain on the store and will remain playable, Arkane Austin confirmed Redfall online service will remain and players who bought the Hero Pass as part of the premium Bite Back Edition or the premium Back Bite upgrade will be eligible to receive the in-game credits, with no details about Prey. Alpha Dog Games confirmed Mighty DOOM development has fully stopped and has also disabled the ability to purchase in-game currency while also providing request refund option for anyone who bought the in-game currency.

IGN confirmed in an e-mail that were sent to staff by Matt Booty, head of Xbox Game Studios, Microsoft blamed the cuts on a “reprioritization of titles and resources”. On the other side of the gate, Arkane Lyon Co-Creative Director, Dinga Bakaba, took notice of this shutdown and called out Microsoft, saying that this shutdown is "absolutely terrible."

Quotes

Microsoft has closed a number of Bethesda studios, including Redfall maker Arkane Austin, Hi-Fi Rush and The Evil Within developer Tango Gameworks, and more in devastating cuts at Bethesda, IGN can confirm. Alpha Dog Studios, maker of mobile game Mighty Doom, will also close. Roundhouse Games will be absorbed by The Elder Scrolls Online developer ZeniMax Online Studios. Microsoft, currently valued at over $3 trillion, did not say how many staff will lose their jobs, but significant layoffs are inevitable. IGN has asked Bethesda for comment. Microsoft declined to expand further when contacted by IGN. On Redfall, the disastrous vampire co-op game will now not receive promised updates as Microsoft has ended all development on the game. Microsoft said Redfall will remain online to play, and it will provide a "make-good" offer for those who bought the Hero DLC.

(...) In an email to staff sent by Matt Booty, head of Xbox Game Studios, Microsoft blamed the cuts on a “reprioritization of titles and resources”. The email, verified by IGN, is below:

Today I’m sharing changes we are making to our Bethesda and ZeniMax teams. These changes are grounded in prioritizing high-impact titles and further investing in Bethesda’s portfolio of blockbuster games and beloved worlds which you have nurtured over many decades.

To double down on these franchises and invest to build new ones requires us to look across the business to identify the opportunities that are best positioned for success. This reprioritization of titles and resources means a few teams will be realigned to others and that some of our colleagues will be leaving us.

My thoughts

image.png.21baf1a5b8f8a27c273067670e025adb.png

I really have no words for this other than what I wrote on the Summary, Quotes and Source. This is probably a post that are just really hard to write for me. This shutdown really hurts

Sources

https://www.ign.com/articles/microsoft-closes-redfall-developer-arkane-austin-hifi-rush-developer-tango-gameworks-and-more-in-devastating-cuts-at-bethesda

That Arkane Austin shutdown really sucks. Prey was awesome. I had little interest in playing Redfall, given its multiplayer focus. And even if by all accounts that game sucks, apparently, I would've loved to see them get another chance at an immersive sim. Because these days, Arkane seem to be the only ones in the big budget development space who are interested in this sort of thing. And it makes me worry what'll happen with Arkane Lyon. Because I'll be honest, this sort of stuff was perfectly predictable. The recent consolidation of gaming studios under a few holding companies always spelled doom for some studios. Because that's the natural course of all mergers and acquisitions. Microsoft ain't gonna make investors happy by buying studios and keeping around talent. They make investors happy by buying IP, laying off employees and thus make the drain on their resources look better in their books.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

5 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

That Arkane Austin shutdown really sucks. Prey was awesome. I had little interest in playing Redfall, given its multiplayer focus. And even if by all accounts that game sucks, apparently, I would've loved to see them get another chance at an immersive sim. Because these days, Arkane seem to be the only ones in the big budget development space who are interested in this sort of thing. And it makes me worry what'll happen with Arkane Lyon.

I always wonder how much of the team that worked on really epic projects have actually remained there when Redfall was in development? Seeing how Prey was one of the most spectacular experiences I've had after System Shock 2 and Deus Ex (positioning it as one of the greatest games of all times in my book), I'd say very little seeing what a weird thing Redfall was. There is no way same team was working on Prey and I don't think just the management was at fault. Management can do dumb decisions and direct the game in wrong way, but you don't somehow bork Ai development and technical problems that good developers shouldn't ever create in a game. I mean, Prey was like 50 times more complex game than Redfall ever will be yet I basically don't remember any technical issues with it. Plus Prey runs on CryEngine which is more difficult to develop than Void Engine (I mean Arkane used Void Engine for many titles and you'd expect they'd be more at home with it than CryEngine).

Yeah Microshit should've never been allowed to buy so many freaking Game Studios.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

10 minutes ago, soldier_ph said:

Yeah Microshit should've never been allowed to buy so many freaking Game Studios.

You can bet they are going to kill many more. Embracer is the same. They buy because supposedly they want the IP in their portfolio and one studio can cover for the others, but as soon as anything goes south, they close the studio.

Typical corporate takeover. Cutting costs to improve margins. Phil Spencer has to appease shareholders who care about nothing but profits and stock valuation

Don't get the love towards Prey, as it was to me and to a good amount of people, not much more than an insult to the original title named after it (yeah the relationship, I know).

Still though, this indeed suck.

At this point I'd be perfectly okay with Valve putting their big boy pants on and going toe to toe with MS. Just tired of MS's bullshit at this point. Xbox is crumbling, Windows is a shitheap of bloat and ads to the point where I hardly game on my PC due to the incessant issues. My Steamdeck and PS5 get much more attention lately.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

On 5/7/2024 at 11:04 AM, Forbidden Wafer said:

You can bet they are going to kill many more. Embracer is the same. They buy because supposedly they want the IP in their portfolio and one studio can cover for the others, but as soon as anything goes south, they close the studio.

This is how 'merica crumbles. All the popular IP's being owned by a small handful of companies, who are also the gatekeeper (Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo for videogames, and Warner/Disney for Video and Music)

Like the clear writing on the wall for Windows/Xbox is that Microsoft at some point will make Windows too locked-in, and if you want your software on the Microsoft platform you need to put it on the Microsoft Store and make it available on the Xbox and Surface platforms. The only reason this isn't a thing is because it would attract anti-trust scrutiny. By hook or by crook, you will be forced to put your software on Microsoft's stores. But your game or app will never have marketing without publishing it through them. 

Anyhow these companies, jokes on them. IP farming only works when an IP is kept in a neutral state where they are willing to license in perpetuity. If I make a game using Warner or Microsoft's IP, they can not at a later date tell me to cease selling the game. Even if it's bad. I can't make a new game without a new license for a new game, but I should not be forced to re-negotiate the license on the existing game. If they want more money for every subsequent sequel, may as well dump the IP and build a new IP that is basically the spiritual sequel.

I can name dozens of IP's that Microsoft already OWNS through it's acquisition of Activision, that I would love a sequel to (SIERRA "Quest" series being several neglected IP's) but these idiot companies would rather sit on the IP and produce nothing.

Well they were not popular with those games and I mean gotta pump dem CoDs and rapper and nba skins for them dubs n ghett0 kids.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

23 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I always wonder how much of the team that worked on really epic projects have actually remained there when Redfall was in development?

The Arkane Austin management were splitted after Romuald Capron left Arkane Lyon after Deathloop was released. Director of Arx Fatalis, Dark Messiah, Dishonored and Prey, Raphaël Colantonio, left Arkane already in 2017, in 2019 he formed WolfEye Studios which made Weird West which was released in 2022 through Devolver.

Generally from the team that made Prey only 30% remained within Arkane when Redfall was released, we can a bit talk about the ship of Theseus.

To be honest, I expected this to happen. From what I remember, this is what Microsoft does: buy the developer of a big name franchise so that it can claim xbox has an awesome new exclusive, awesome new exclusive doesn't meet expectations, Microsoft shuts down studio so they can buy another big name tdeveloper and claim they have a big new exclusive.

Someone list everytime they've done this in the past. It's more than twice I'm pretty sure.

On 5/8/2024 at 2:59 AM, Kisai said:

Like the clear writing on the wall for Windows/Xbox is that Microsoft at some point will make Windows too locked-in, and if you want your software on the Microsoft platform you need to put it on the Microsoft Store and make it available on the Xbox and Surface platforms. The only reason this isn't a thing is because it would attract anti-trust scrutiny. By hook or by crook, you will be forced to put your software on Microsoft's stores. But your game or app will never have marketing without publishing it through them.

I really can't see them trying that. Even walled garden enthusiasts, Apple, don't do that with macOS. The corporate PC market dwarfs the gaming one, and is possibly the most important segment for Windows. Not being able to install their own software would be a redline for almost all companies. However, I suspect MS would barely notice if the majority of PC gamers jumped ship.

It seems like MS have no long-term plan for Xbox. They are getting their arse handed in the console wars by Sony, and they are aiming for fewer exclusives? If you were coming to console gaming fresh, no brand loyalty, why would you choose Xbox?

Phil Spencer has been nuked in game possibly in retaliation. We're waiting to see how he responds and if this is going to spread to other games. If it spreads to another game there is a good possibility that we have a Virtual World War 1 knocking on our doorsteps. Prepare your shelters. Find your rations. Close your curtains and be ready for a weekend where the losers are the first to go to sleep.

Microsoft CEO Phil Spencer's Fallout 76 camp nuked by players (msn.com)

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

On 5/8/2024 at 12:09 PM, Thaldor said:

The Arkane Austin management were splitted after Romuald Capron left Arkane Lyon after Deathloop was released. Director of Arx Fatalis, Dark Messiah, Dishonored and Prey, Raphaël Colantonio, left Arkane already in 2017, in 2019 he formed WolfEye Studios which made Weird West which was released in 2022 through Devolver.

Generally from the team that made Prey only 30% remained within Arkane when Redfall was released, we can a bit talk about the ship of Theseus.

aka most of the worker from all the studios . was not worth keeping open.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

why are people still acting surprised when MICROSOFT does this? they're doing this since decades lol. they buy studios specifically to shut them down at a later date - that's how you kill "competition", this is how MICROSOFT has always operated.  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 5/8/2024 at 2:29 AM, vetali said:

At this point I'd be perfectly okay with Valve putting their big boy pants on and going toe to toe with MS. Just tired of MS's bullshit at this point. Xbox is crumbling, Windows is a shitheap of bloat and ads to the point where I hardly game on my PC due to the incessant issues. My Steamdeck and PS5 get much more attention lately.

very ironic considering where valve originated... be careful of what you wish for, my sweet summer child. ~

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

This is really sad news. Some years back I worked down the hall from Arkane Austin, and at the time it seemed like a serious but upbeat place from what I could tell. They were just getting wrapped-up on Dishonored at the time so it was a high point for them. A lot of people were skeptical about Microsoft acquiring ZeniMax, and I was hoping the process would be smooth as I just bought a Series X and am a big Fallout nerd, but this is going very poorly for a lot of studios.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

19 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

This is really sad news. Some years back I worked down the hall from Arkane Austin, and at the time it seemed like a serious but upbeat place from what I could tell. They were just getting wrapped-up on Dishonored at the time so it was a high point for them. A lot of people were skeptical about Microsoft acquiring ZeniMax, and I was hoping the process would be smooth as I just bought a Series X and am a big Fallout nerd, but this is going very poorly for a lot of studios.

zenimax was in alot of debt. due to both fallout and elder scroll mmo.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

6 hours ago, dogwitch said:

aka most of the worker from all the studios . was not worth keeping open.

Yup, and the story isn't that much different within the other companies. Shinji Mikami, founder and the head guy of Tango Gameworks left the studio last year and to be honest, he stepped back from directing games after The Evil Within with Ikumi Nakamura taking the lead with TEW2, announced Ghostwire and left the company in 2019. Alpha Dog Games? You mean  the company that developed Mighty DOOM the one mobile game that got very mixed reviews for being actually good game that was complete trash because it's extremely greedy monetization? Yeah, it didn't do that well and people are wondering why the studio is being closed.

I know it's the lowest effort thing ever to just follow the studios and think they are something more than businesses. But that's fucking stupid, people should follow the people within the studios and they could actually learn something rather than be brainwashed by the 110% marketing pushed to them. The studios Microsoft is currently closing aren't huge losses to the gaming world, they are husks of their former selves and belly landed badly enough that I would think there really wasn't much trust in them even before Microsoft buying ZeniMax.

Like the Arkane Austin is the studio (as business entity) that developed many great games, but the meat of the studio is just that which produced Redfall with some memories from the past staff that created the great games. Same with Tango Gameworks, the studio has made some great games and even after all the big names had made room for new talents managed to make the Hi-Fi Rush. but we don't have the full story and my educated guess would be "lack of trust" after the studio former and long time lead left the studio for personal reasons and not wanting to make survivor horror games anymore (read between the lines: Microsoft wanted TEW3, Shinji Mikami said no, Microsoft shot down whatever Mikami proposed, Mikami left and probably a lot of staff from the studio left at the same door opening and what was left was so little that making TEW3 with them would have been too big gamble).

it sounds like bethseda has been doing bad enough as it is... this can't be good

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

5 hours ago, Thaldor said:

Yup, and the story isn't that much different within the other companies. Shinji Mikami, founder and the head guy of Tango Gameworks left the studio last year and to be honest, he stepped back from directing games after The Evil Within with Ikumi Nakamura taking the lead with TEW2, announced Ghostwire and left the company in 2019. Alpha Dog Games? You mean  the company that developed Mighty DOOM the one mobile game that got very mixed reviews for being actually good game that was complete trash because it's extremely greedy monetization? Yeah, it didn't do that well and people are wondering why the studio is being closed.

I know it's the lowest effort thing ever to just follow the studios and think they are something more than businesses. But that's fucking stupid, people should follow the people within the studios and they could actually learn something rather than be brainwashed by the 110% marketing pushed to them. The studios Microsoft is currently closing aren't huge losses to the gaming world, they are husks of their former selves and belly landed badly enough that I would think there really wasn't much trust in them even before Microsoft buying ZeniMax.

Like the Arkane Austin is the studio (as business entity) that developed many great games, but the meat of the studio is just that which produced Redfall with some memories from the past staff that created the great games. Same with Tango Gameworks, the studio has made some great games and even after all the big names had made room for new talents managed to make the Hi-Fi Rush. but we don't have the full story and my educated guess would be "lack of trust" after the studio former and long time lead left the studio for personal reasons and not wanting to make survivor horror games anymore (read between the lines: Microsoft wanted TEW3, Shinji Mikami said no, Microsoft shot down whatever Mikami proposed, Mikami left and probably a lot of staff from the studio left at the same door opening and what was left was so little that making TEW3 with them would have been too big gamble).

and it beng japan atm location.

1 not fun to deal with and 2 atm the currency conversation is terrible.

18 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

Phil Spencer has been nuked in game possibly in retaliation. We're waiting to see how he responds and if this is going to spread to other games. If it spreads to another game there is a good possibility that we have a Virtual World War 1 knocking on our doorsteps. Prepare your shelters. Find your rations. Close your curtains and be ready for a weekend where the losers are the first to go to sleep.

Microsoft CEO Phil Spencer's Fallout 76 camp nuked by players (msn.com)

my man people have been nuking his camp since day 1. this only got attention because of the closures. it's not a protest, he doesn't care, repairing your camp in fallout 76 takes 1 click and an insanely low amount of resources

edit i need to take things less seriously