Lumafield (who make LTT's CT scanner) post CT scans of the lead in Stanley's Quencher Cup to help understand why it's there

Summary

Lumafield (who make the CT scanner LTT now has) CT scanned the Stanley Quencher cup, recently finding controversy for having lead inside of it (but spoiler alert, it's not anywhere it's going to touch the drink). A great informational series exploring the product, why the lead is used and how it's protected from the liquid inside, with some fantastic explanational images!

image.thumb.png.7cc496a2db7355e103e9f0008c3b47ad.png

Quotes

Social media influencers have discovered that lead solder is used in the Quencher’s manufacturing process, jeopardizing Stanley’s success. 

But is the lead in the Quencher actually dangerous? Our Neptune industrial X-ray CT scanner is the perfect tool to see inside Stanley’s tumbler to understand how it’s made and whether or not lead solder truly poses a risk to consumers.

My thoughts

This is a really great look at what we might be able to get from LTT Labs in the future. How do the internals of various products work (computer parts, or their own creator labs products), especially in areas that it's hard to see non-destructively. They could also potentially find manufacturer claims that could be verified.

Sources

Web Article version: https://www.lumafield.com/article/finding-lead-in-stanleys-quencher-industrial-ct

X version: 

-= Moved to General Discussion =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

LTT has a CT scanner now? So we can finally get some GPU noods 0.0

In all seriousness, any kind of material that is inherently harmful for human consumption should probably not be anywhere near something humans use to consume. Even if it's not inside the part where drink goes. Idk, it just makes me uneasy knowing it's there. Thankfully, the LTT water bottle from LTTstore.com is lead free!

20 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

In all seriousness, any kind of material that is inherently harmful for human consumption should probably not be anywhere near something humans use to consume. Even if it's not inside the part where drink goes. Idk, it just makes me uneasy knowing it's there. Thankfully, the LTT water bottle from LTTstore.com is lead free!

general we have a ppm rule on lead etc. . past that we do try to avoid it if we can.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

1 hour ago, TempestCatto said:

You know the spoon, fork and knife you use to eat food are harmful if consumed right?

You know eating metal, plastic, styrofoam cups are harmful if consumed right?

The little solder pellet in the non-accessible part of the vacuum bottle is not the dangerous thing here.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

16 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

You know the spoon, fork and knife you use to eat food are harmful if consumed right?

The little solder pellet in the non-accessible part of the vacuum bottle is not the dangerous thing here.

Yes glass half full and half empty. Everything is bad for you. But lead is more bad than some others. I know it doesn't come in contact with the drink. But why risk it? 

38 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

No because the cup does not have a "do not use if vaccum seal is broken" sticker and people will get poisoning from having the solder leaking from the broken base.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

8 hours ago, williamcll said:

No because the cup does not have a "do not use if vaccum seal is broken" sticker and people will get poisoning from having the solder leaking from the broken base.

What ar eyou doing to that mug to break the seal?
Like genuinely. Also if its breaks, *WHY WOULD YOU USE?*

14 hours ago, williamcll said:

It's not about a broken vacuum seal. You would've had to have put something inside the bottle strong enough to puncture a hole through the interior wall for liquid to reach the secondary wall where the lead solder pellet was used.

| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Why use leaded solder in this application to begin with?

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

14 hours ago, BrandonLatzig said:

Kids who drop them at school

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 3/15/2024 at 6:52 AM, BrandonLatzig said:

You know what happens, people use things "it's still good" after they drop it, even after hearing shattering. That's what happens with thermos, which traditionally have glass inside, and plastic on the outside.

Companies cheapen products by using plastic where they should use steel or aluminum. Unfortunately METAL products have to be welded, and when you get to specialty products, things that are vacuum sealed, often have to be soldered, because you can't weld in a vacuum (AFAIK)

On 3/15/2024 at 9:52 AM, BrandonLatzig said:

My coworker still uses a broken cup even though the handle broke and there's now a gaping hole on the outside of it where the handle used to attach.

A cup similar to this one :

Spoiler

fff.png.0936fae405988d95d30a62bdb4d00bc7.png

He just put a piece of tape over the hole. Now it's a cup he gets to hold with his hands instead of with a handle...

People will use whatever they can as long as the core functionality doesn't change. Can it hold liquid? Yes? Keep using it then.

edit : just realized the forum apparently didn't accept copy/pasting of the images... even though it shows while editing once posted, it's gone. Damn it. Fixed the image.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

On 3/15/2024 at 3:35 AM, TempestCatto said:

Thankfully, the LTT water bottle from LTTstore.com is lead free!

No it isn't. The LTT water bottles contain lead too, just like the Stanley cup. This has been confirmed by their (lttstore) customer service. 

On 3/14/2024 at 7:35 PM, TempestCatto said:

In all seriousness, any kind of material that is inherently harmful for human consumption should probably not be anywhere near something humans use to consume. Even if it's not inside the part where drink goes. Idk, it just makes me uneasy knowing it's there.

The question is why do you think that?

It's in the vacuum chamber portion which makes it so you have to have a breach into that area and have the liquid come intact with it.  I can tell you now if that is happening you will likely be getting poisoned with bacterial growth or fungal growth inside of it

The reason I say this is because if it were to be breached, aside from it no longer keeping drinks warm, the water will have to find a way in and then a way out in order for it to be consumed.  I can tell you though that when that happens liquid will forever remain in there meaning you get all the nasty types of growth.

With all of this said as well, remember that there are still lots of cities in America which still operate with lead pipes [it's not great] but have tactics to prevent lead leakage.  As long as the lead is in the vacuum on the bottom I don't really see much danger in this.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

On 3/14/2024 at 10:35 PM, TempestCatto said:

Pretty sure Linus said on a WAN show any vacuum sealed cup contains lead, including theirs. 

1 hour ago, nether1234 said:

Pretty sure Linus said on a WAN show any vacuum sealed cup contains lead, including theirs. 

Not true.

On 3/17/2024 at 1:58 PM, da na said:

Sure, some solder contains lead. But why use that solder?

I see no problem with it if it doesn't touch the drink. But this whole controversy could've been avoided by using lead-free solder, no? 

Judging from this article, it appears to be complicated.

https://www.wired.com/story/stanley-cup-lead-soldering/

Not dunking on LTT if theirs has lead. It's unreasonable to be worried about that when you'd have to intentionally do something (stupid) to breach the interior wall for the liquid to come anywhere close the solder pellet.

1 hour ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Not true.

Judging from this article, it appears to be complicated.

https://www.wired.com/story/stanley-cup-lead-soldering/

Not dunking on LTT if theirs has lead. It's unreasonable to be worried about that when you'd have to intentionally do something (stupid) to breach the interior wall for the liquid to come anywhere close the solder pellet.

hmm ok guess you and I are getting out LTT water bottles from different LTT stores then .

1 hour ago, nether1234 said:

hmm ok guess you and I are getting out LTT water bottles from different LTT stores then .

I don't know the specifics about LTT's water bottle (nor do I care), but it is not true that "any vacuum sealed cup contains lead"

59 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

I don't know the specifics about LTT's water bottle (nor do I care), but it is not true that "any vacuum sealed cup contains lead"

I don't believe it has ever been specified for the LTT bottle. See this video where he talks about the video construction of the bottle and doesn't actually know what seals it in the LTT bottle. 

On 3/20/2024 at 2:42 PM, saintlouisbagels said:

Ok it might not be all of the, there are some that don't but it is still industry standard.