Half Life 3 Being Worked on Says Former CS Creator

ShadowCaptain

what are you talking about the story was amazing

especially the mystery of Gman for over a decade i just kept trying to know what the hell is he and what was he doing there

at the end of HL1 he appeared to be an agent of some sort being hired to do some one's bidding and then basically hired me to do something which he didnt disclose

and then in hl2 he tried to take me back before the explosion and froze time but those aliens stopped him and they helped me wtf.....

But it took 3 hours between any parts of the game for there to be any plot advancement. There isn't much of a story to it, even if the one it has fits the game pretty well. I'm sure back in early 2000 it was amazing when nothing else really competed, but since I didn't play Half Life until recently and am used to games like Fallout New Vegas and Mass Effect, the Half-Life story feels really empty.

But I still want to know the ending. And I wish there were more single player FPS's like it.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

But it took 3 hours between any parts of the game for there to be any plot advancement. There isn't much of a story to it, even if the one it has fits the game pretty well. I'm sure back in early 2000 it was amazing when nothing else really competed, but since I didn't play Half Life until recently and am used to games like Fallout New Vegas and Mass Effect, the Half-Life story feels really empty.

But I still want to know the ending. And I wish there were more single player FPS's like it.

Take a look at your statement: You're comparing an FPS, decisively within the action genre, to 2 RPGs. Not only that but they came out 3 or more years later. If you look at 2004 RPGs they looked like shit by comparison, it's precisely because of shooters like half life that RPG games started to borrow FPS game engines to focus on their stories instead.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I thought Gaben himself had sort of confirmed that they were in the works. If I recall correctly he said something along the lines of them being in development, but not being the focus of the studio and that they want to make sure they work on a variety of games and genres so that they stay relevant and don't become just a half life/portal/left 4 dead factory. 

Take a look at your statement: You're comparing an FPS, decisively within the action genre, to 2 RPGs. Not only that but they came out 3 or more years later. If you look at 2004 RPGs they looked like shit by comparison, it's precisely because of shooters like half life that RPG games started to borrow FPS game engines to focus on their stories instead.

yes I realized the story couldn't really compare to even the early Final Fantasies... Oh well, still doesn't change it's bland.

I must admit I think Halo had more of a story to it and that was close to the same time, but the game itself wasn't nearly as good.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Interesting.

Half life is overrated... 

Overrated? probably not, expectations are too high though.

Well, obviously it's being worked on. People have known that for years, with or without confirmation. 

The question is, is it ready for release and when will it be?

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

If it did come out, it would have to bring something fantastic with it. Since HL2 had the source engine and half-life was pretty different at the time.

I'm guessing it'll come when Valve is fully supporting linux. (since technically, they only support up to windows 7)

never played any Half-life nor do I care personally

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

never played any Half-life nor do I care personally

Good comment... LOL...

Seriously though, i hope they create a new game engine for it. And that its just as ground breaking as before plus some shiny new textures.

Then again, maybe i want too much.

anyone who doesn't care about HL, didn't experience it properly.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

we are going to be informed in 2015 only a tad of the development progress news   :mellow:

for what i am concerned, i want completelly realistic body and gun animations, even more reactive and enganging environment, great sound quality and positioning and good AI

also i am pretty sure their texture quality will be top-notch

HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED!!!!!!!! Internet explodes

Half-life 3...confirmed?

No...

Half Life 4 confirmed.

I'm just starting not to believe that it will ever be released anymore. :(

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I am wearing a head crab in anticipation.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300