Investigating rad material, copper becomes brass ! :o

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Summary

Igor's Lab tested eight popular water cooling radiators and found that the claims made by manufacturers were incorrect.

Quotes

Veteran hardware reviewer Igor Wallossek has published an investigation into AiO CPU cooler radiator materials. Something must have got Wallossek’s spider senses tingling because his investigation into six branded designs uncovered three that were over-spec'd. By that, we mean half of the AiO brands sold radiators using different, cheaper materials than mentioned in their product data sheets, websites, or advertising. The most common switcheroo was advertising copper but instead using a copper/zinc alloy like brass.

My thoughts

Disappointing to hear about this from at least EK. In EK's case it seems its a marketing choice on how they represent the material. At this time Igor's Lab seems to be assuming this was not on purpose by any of the manufacturers but I am very interested to see how they respond.

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/cooling/half-of-tested-pc-watercoolers-dont-use-the-premium-materials-advertised-like-copper-report (quoted source)

https://www.igorslab.de/en/the-big-radiator-material-test-between-promise-reality-and-prohibition-water-cooling-on-the-test-bench-part-1/8/ (actual Report)

Good , I don't like or use water cooling anyway.

Getting real annoyed with people sticking them into 1000$ builds like it was a good allocation of funds. Lmg isn't excused from that either. I mostly blame these youtube channels that just immediately default to using cheap AIOS on every single build as if that's a default requirement for a modern computer. Just another way for them to promote fake innovation to justify their existence.

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

Good , I don't like or use water cooling anyway.

Getting real annoyed with people sticking them into 1000$ builds like it was a good allocation of funds. Lmg isn't excused from that either. I mostly blame these youtube channels that just immediately default to using cheap AIOS on every single build as if that's a default requirement for a modern computer. Just another way for them to promote fake innovation to justify their existence.

ok but then I watch my 8 year old corsair 280mm eat 450w of overclocked cpu and just sit there at 80c
air simply cannot compete

Just now, OhYou_ said:

ok but then I watch my 8 year old corsair 280mm eat 450w of overclocked cpu and just sit there at 80c

Sure it can. Now do I personally think you have the ability to install one and test it with any form of competence to somehow change the hilarious opinion that everyone on earth should run cheap AIOs from a decade ago? Course not. But it definitely can. My general hope is you cite a handful of personal examples with the impression that I'm interested in hearing about the insignificant sample size your data is. Those are always fun to hear , like the one yugo owner who swears they are robust and reliable.

24 minutes ago, emosun said:

everyone on earth should run cheap AIOs from a decade ago?

i bought it new in the store 8 years ago

2 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

i bought it new in the store 8 years ago

well my hair dryer dissipates 1500w of heat and is about 30 years old so let me know when that AIO magically gains 3x the performance and is over 3 times it's current age.

..... or perhaps it's really dumb of me to say something so generalized , like saying

40 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

I think what really impresses me is that you have owned and tested every single air cooler ever made for every single computing device. Thats seriously one heck of an achievement and there's got to be some sort of world record you've set somewhere for the sheer amount of products you tested to confirm that.

1 hour ago, emosun said:

Sure it can. Now do I personally think you have the ability to install one and test it with any form of competence to somehow change the hilarious opinion that everyone on earth should run cheap AIOs from a decade ago? Course not. But it definitely can. My general hope is you cite a handful of personal examples with the impression that I'm interested in hearing about the insignificant sample size your data is. Those are always fun to hear , like the one yugo owner who swears they are robust and reliable.

That's laws of physics, aircoolers are limited to cooling 250W max, and that's the best of them, above that only AIO/liquid cooling can handle, up to maybe 400W for an AIO, much more for heavy custom LC, then there's LN2 🙂 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

That's laws of physics, aircoolers are limited to cooling 250W max

what percentage of cpu's are more than 250watts

and of that percentage how many do I care about

8 hours ago, TheMcG said:

Summary

Igor's Lab tested eight popular water cooling radiators and found that the claims made by manufacturers were incorrect.

Quotes

My thoughts

Disappointing to hear about this from at least EK. In EK's case it seems its a marketing choice on how they represent the material. At this time Igor's Lab seems to be assuming this was not on purpose by any of the manufacturers but I am very interested to see how they respond.

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/cooling/half-of-tested-pc-watercoolers-dont-use-the-premium-materials-advertised-like-copper-report (quoted source)

https://www.igorslab.de/en/the-big-radiator-material-test-between-promise-reality-and-prohibition-water-cooling-on-the-test-bench-part-1/8/ (actual Report)

ek also has a problem with there vrm blocks on asus mbs... 🤷‍♂️

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

6 hours ago, emosun said:

what percentage of cpu's are more than 250watts

and of that percentage how many do I care about

Sure only i9 in consumer market

But why this reversed elitism? 😛

Tech Enthusiasts,

I recently stumbled upon a deeply concerning report from Igor’s Lab, which conducted an extensive material test on AIO radiators. The findings are alarming: the Barrow Dabel 28b Slim 120mm radiator, among others, was found to contain significant amounts of lead and other substandard materials. This revelation raises serious health and safety concerns for all of us in the PC building community.

The report, titled “The big radiator material test: Between promise, reality and the forbidden - Water Cooling tested more in Detail! | Part 1,” delves into the materials used by six well-known manufacturers, revealing discrepancies between what is advertised and the actual content of these radiators. The investigation was prompted by reports of clogged water cooling components and unexplained corrosion, leading to a thorough analysis of the materials used.

From the source:

"First of all: There is no copper “H90”. An addition of 10% brass (as in the case of Bykski) is NOT copper, but still an alloy, i.e. brass. Brass CuZN10, to be precise. Incidentally, it is interesting that I measured exactly this value. Just like the brass “H62” (correctly CuZn38) of the pre-chambers, where I then (logically) arrive at 38% zinc content, which corresponds to 62% copper content and which can suddenly be called brass again in marketing."

What’s perplexing is the lack of coverage this issue has received from tech YouTubers, who are often at the forefront of discussing tech-related concerns. One must wonder, why is there a silence from tech influencers on such a critical matter? Is it a lack of awareness, or are there other factors influencing the discourse?

The role of tech influencers is not only to review and recommend products but also to inform and protect their audience from potential hazards. It’s imperative that we question this gap in communication and encourage a dialogue that could safeguard the health of our community.

As we seek answers and accountability, let’s ensure that we’re not only consumers but also informed advocates for safety and transparency in the tech industry. I urge you to read the full report from Igor’s Lab and join me in calling for greater coverage and discussion on this pressing issue

Sources

https://www.igorslab.de/en/the-big-radiator-material-test-between-promise-reality-and-prohibition-water-cooling-on-the-test-bench-part-1/

7 minutes ago, Noblekouta said:

What’s perplexing is the lack of coverage this issue has received from tech YouTubers, who are often at the forefront of discussing tech-related concerns. One must wonder, why is there a silence from tech influencers on such a critical matter? Is it a lack of awareness, or are there other factors influencing the discourse?

Different media outlets have different leads. They cannot all have the same mindset and report the same information. GN is widely known for going after certain groups that igorslab has not covered. This information should raise enough awareness that I suspect someone will cover it eventually.

i`m assuming that most of them have not received any news on this yet , but as knowledge of this issue gets about , pretty sure its gonna get covered .. 

AIO's do not get handled day to day. you install them and then theyre left alone until they die and get tossed out. That isnt enough lead to cause an issue to consumers. Just being near to lead isn't going to make anyone drop dead. Same for anything else unless they're using radioactive compounds in the coolers.

That being said, it is weird that lead is used at all to begin with, and it should be removed by the manufacturers and all of that, but since it isnt an active/immediate/large scale health issue im not suprised that there isn't a lot of coverage.

Most "tech tubers" are only interested on the shiniest / most expensive consumer-grade toys. I can't even blame them, because I do recognize that this is what brings the views (and the $$$$)

It’s an inherent attribute of cheap radiators. I’m genuinely surprised it wasn’t common knowledge or just generally expected for them to contain lead.

Man wait til you learn about the uses of lead solder in computer components in general. Lead free solder is not usable for all componentry.

i think there alot of stuff you probly dont no thats bad for you. and its been like the for ever saying things like fire resistant and so on... i watch alot of youtube videos on storys of people diying or things collapsing and alot of them is preventable some even knew of problems but paid off the safty people basically corruption. and most get away with it. no jail no fines or low fines. what most of them do is to make there finding in to a law to try and prevent it from happing agane...

anyway point being you are being lyied too about alot of things... 🤷‍♂️

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Hopefully a conversation can bring more light to this and the research some are doing can be verified or challenged pushing the manufactures to be truthful and the tech media to not show any bias due to sponsorships.

I'm not sure I understand why highlight lead. you are not drinking this water. 

Lead is often found when braising metal together for water use, and as far as I know, only banned for POTABLE water. And saying it raises serious concerns when Igor doesnt say that seems like mising the point. 

we come to the announced reaction from Bykski. They have been able to reproduce my results and have obtained the same high figures from an independent institute. According to Bykski, the batch tested should be around 200 radiators that were manufactured by another OEM and which then came here to Germany. If they have not yet been sold, they will be taken out of circulation immediately and at the same time it will be possible to return or exchange them via EZModding if it is clear exactly which batch the customer is dealing with.

However, I must add something else from a private point of view: The individual who has already installed such a radiator will of course not be physically harmed by this lead, because normally you don’t drink the coolant or rub it on yourself. So there is absolutely no reason to dismantle an existing system and replace the radiator, it’s not worth the effort. 

Also I guess I need to be a metallurgist to understand the complaint that Copper H90 is only 90% copper.... When that is what the H90 means. 

Sorry but Igor can't find his own rear out of his skeleton, had to. Him talking about high impedance coverage caps on the rear of a GPU and saying they suck was a massive fandango. He has no idea what he's talking about. He's the definition of an old whistleblower.

Don't watch his content...

1 hour ago, Noblekouta said:

Tech Enthusiasts,

I recently stumbled upon a deeply concerning report from Igor’s Lab, which conducted an extensive material test on AIO radiators. The findings are alarming: the Barrow Dabel 28b Slim 120mm radiator, among others, was found to contain significant amounts of lead and other substandard materials. This revelation raises serious health and safety concerns for all of us in the PC building community.

Not all, I never touched a radiator in my life...

But I am sure fast food contains things way worse, people know it, but still consume.

Even the good things we try to do can cause harm. Just saw news of kids getting intoxicated by vitamin D supplement Nateo D Forte

12 minutes ago, RageTester said:

Not all, I never touched a radiator in my life...

But I am sure fast food contains things way worse, people know it, but still consume.

Even the good things we try to do can cause harm. Just saw news of kids getting intoxicated by vitamin D supplement Nateo D Forte

Yes. Likewise, you can drug yourself with some stuff... like listening to music all day at home.

Stay woke my friends.

@Noblekouta

This post doesn't quite follow the guidelines for this section. Please add quote or quotes from the article that best sum the content.

E: Additionally, change the title to represent content of the article, not this click-vague question.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv