Why do Schools use MACS?

mr.skyrim_pc

I have to do a powerpoint project for school on why schools would use macs vs PCs. I cant think of that many reasons for them to use a mac. PIease give me some suggestions.

I have to do a powerpoint project for school on why schools would use macs vs PCs. I cant think of that many reasons for them to use a mac. PIease give me some suggestions.

Educational pricing and apple support, security, comes with fantastic software, compatible with Microsoft products, stable quiet and well built/robust

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Macs are positive for being Virus free and fast performance, but you can get a much better PC for the price of a mac...So the school can save some money as well

They shouldn't, price : performance is terrible and that is huge when it is with a schools budget. I guess you could use the argument they have easy to use apps for students to learn and use?

They shouldn't, price : performance is terrible and that is huge when it is with a schools budget. I guess you could use the argument they have easy to use apps for students to learn and use?

Macs are actually very high performance

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

A MAC IS A PC. PC = personal computer. But I am typing this on 1 of the 3 PC's in a room full of MAC's :P 

PC Specs

Intel i5 4670k 4.2ghz @1.20v | Cooler Master 212 Plus | Asus z87-A | Fractal Design Define R4 |Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm HDD | 2x Samsung 840 EVO | Seasonic 520w m12II | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb DDR3 1600mhz | PowerColor 7870 GHz edition | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | NZXT Hue RGB Controller

I really wished my school used PCs........ :(

A MAC IS A PC. PC = personal computer. But I am typing this on 1 of the 3 PC's in a room full of MAC's :P

LOL

Macs are actually very high performance

Some of them are, but you are WAY overpaying. :P

I asked this very question to one of my high school teachers, and they said that the educational pricing on Mac's makes them very enticing. I don't know what types of discounts schools get but I would bet it is very significant. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Not in my opinion

Because people think Mac is the same as cool or fast, wich they're not.

This is BS. No school would give a shit.

My international school uses macs. The idea is that they need far less maintenance and support than windows machines. I do have to agree with this. On this forum, people may not understand this but everyday I see people being too stupid to even do basic things and find myself helping people with computer issues once a week at least.

Our school IT is shit also, which is why I don't even trust them to get their hands on my laptop (the one in my sig).

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

I asked this very question to one of my high school teachers, and they said that the educational pricing on Mac's makes them very enticing. I don't know what types of discounts schools get but I would bet it is very significant.

This has been Apples philosophy up front. At our school we don't get this however, as student purchase their own computers...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

This is BS. No school would give a shit.

My international school uses macs. The idea is that they need far less maintenance and support than windows machines. I do have to agree with this. On this forum, people may not understand this but everyday I see people being too stupid to even do basic things and find myself helping people with computer issues once a week at least.

Our school IT is shit also, which is why I don't even trust them to get their hands on my laptop (the one in my sig).

I was actually going to say something like this. Most people who don't know how to use PC's would be better off getting an Apple computer.

I read /r/talesfromtechsupport and I seldom see anything that has to do with Apple stuff, but they do get talked about, and when they do only one thing comes to mind: you can't fix stupid.

My school had macs until i was in year 5 then switched to windows i haven't seen a mac in a school since.

iMac $1299 with education discount = $1100 (roughly)

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac?afid=p219%7CGOUK&cid=AOS-UK-KWG-GO_UK_CPU

PC with 21.5" ips monitor, similar spec, including OS $1026, still does not include speakers, wireless keyboard and mouse (all included)

Also comes with photo ediitng software, video editing software, music software, etc etc etc

(also nowhere near the build quality, no warranty (obviously each item does), no support from manufacturer  etc etc

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ORt8

I was actually going to say something like this. Most people who don't know how to use PC's would be better off getting an Apple computer.

I read /r/talesfromtechsupport and I seldom see anything that has to do with Apple stuff, but they do get talked about, and when they do only one thing comes to mind: you can't fix stupid.

I mean if the budget is there, they really are perfect for education. Easy to use, reliable, close to no after deployment maintenance required.

A school has no need for gaming machines. For more intense application such as design, Macs can still handle themselves very well unless you are using an outdated one of course.

Like a couple other people have said, schools get pretty good discounts on it. Apple's pretty willing to provide those discounts because it's an opportunity for kids to get more familiar with their OS/ecosystem so that they might be more inclined to purchase their products when they grow up.

Schools in particular use MACs over Windows Machines for a range of reasons.

- Hard to get a Virus. Kids, especially young ones will click ANYTHING on the internet, especially if it has pretty colors and flashing lights.

- Support. When it comes to apple products and education, they will fix anything for free, as long as it's under warranty. If a product needs replaced in a PC, you either have to replace it yourself or deal with some company help line for hours on hold. 

- Usability. When it comes to easy interfaces, Mac has the game. Easy to use, friendly. What small kid doesn't know how to use their parents iPhone? It works the same with Macs.

- Setup. Setting up a school-wide login and permission system is a shit-ton easier than windows. 

- Apple Software/deals. For educational purposes, apple offers some amazing deals towards schools for software, as well as they help pay for products like Adobe.

- Apple products are durable. If treated properly (not over heating, not beaten to shit) will last and work for quite some time.

- More locked down. As per my first point, Mac OS is a lot more locked down if the permissions are setup properly. For example, NTFS permissions on Mac are a lot more secure due to the nature of their permissions inheritance system.

In short, Macs are better for accessibility, usability, support, and for control as a system Admin. That being said, Macs are a better choice for a school. I do not personally like Macs, but if I were to set up a user system with multiple computers, it'd be with Mac.

I might be wrong.

my school uses celerons. with xp.

i cri eriy tiem

My old school had the same, until up to 2013 when they updated to windows 7.

I might be wrong.

I thought schools got crazy discounts on Apple.  My HS has all Macs, but that was back in the early 90s.

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac