Why do Schools use MACS?

mr.skyrim_pc

"because mac is better/faster/powerful" would be a rational argument if it were true It's not an argument from subjectivity either--the person who's presenting the argument is just wrong. 

Yes, bu there are so many different use case scenarios that providing a substantial argument for that claim is not likely.  It's kinda like trying to determine the best size ute for a courier firm that ships everything from truck engines to single cans of deodorant.   And given that actual processing performance varies across models as well as platforms the question is no longer mac or pc but which mac or which pc on which budget for which purpose. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Apple has some sort of program for schools. My school is on it so we get a refresh every 3 years

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

My school only uses iMac's for video editing and photo editing, other then that we use PC's.

Because they're more restricted/locked down and less easy to break. And because the majority of teachers aren't really technologically literate so they can't fix an actual PC themselves.

The probably get a discounted rate because they are an educational institution. Also a more closed off ecosystem prevent students from messing with the software in inappropriate ways.

Because they're more restricted/locked down and less easy to break. And because the majority of teachers aren't really technologically literate so they can't fix an actual PC themselves.

The probably get a discounted rate because they are an educational institution. Also a more closed off ecosystem prevent students from messing with the software in inappropriate ways.

Yep.

Back when I was still in high school, I recall the crappy XP Dell boxes constantly riddled with trash and IE being pushed on you. Many students are dumb, no way to sugarcoat this. After class, I used to help my teacher clean some crap out because the systems were so slow due to students clicking on the "YOU WON A MILLION DOLLARS!" flashing ads and downloading toolbars ect. ect.... For school use, if they can afford it, it's better to use iMacs to prevent the tech illiterate from breaking everything they touch.

Yep.

Back when I was still in high school, I recall the crappy XP Dell boxes constantly riddled with trash and IE being pushed on you. Many students are dumb, no way to sugarcoat this. After class, I used to help my teacher clean some crap out because the systems were so slow due to students clicking on the "YOU WON A MILLION DOLLARS!" flashing ads and downloading toolbars ect. ect.... For school use, if they can afford it, it's better to use iMacs to prevent the tech illiterate from breaking everything they touch.

But for us tech literates... 

Us tech enthusiates are minorities in the general population

Yep.

I agree. I've had Windows PCs at school and someone accidentally entered the BIOS by pressing random keys like an idiotic child. You can't enter the BIOS on a Mac, even though it might have one.

Imagine what would've happened if they had accidentally overclocked it.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

See

Us tech enthusiates are minorities in the general population

I agree. I've had Windows PCs at school and someone accidentally entered the BIOS by pressing random keys like an idiotic child. You can't enter the BIOS on a Mac, even though it might have one.

Imagine what would've happened if they had accidentally overclocked it.

Good thing schools don't spring for custom built units and use prebuilts with locked BIOS. I could only imagine the instability someone who doesn't know what they are doing would cause..

See

Good thing schools don't spring for custom built units and use prebuilts with locked BIOS. I could only imagine the instability someone who doesn't know what they are doing would cause..

It actually was a Dell prebuilt, IDK how teh BIOS was unlocked though.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

It actually was a Dell prebuilt, IDK how teh BIOS was unlocked though.

Well, by locked I meant limited in terms of what could actually be modified. :V

My old school was struggling for money so what did they do they bort like 100 MAC's its stupid really when they could of saved half there money and got PC's just as good

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

Well, by locked I meant limited in terms of what could actually be modified. :V

ah okay

Os x is really simple, so all the computer illiterate people who don't know how to save (yes there are/were people at my school who can't). 

Here you go

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.96 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($43.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Micro Center)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($74.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.43 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($319.99 @ Newegg)

Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Mwave)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)

Monitor: Acer G227HQLbi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($108.00 @ Newegg)

Total: $1095.30

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-22 16:12 EDT-0400)

Im pretty sure that computer just raped the imac. xD

Os x is really simple, so all the computer illiterate people who don't know how to save (yes there are/were people at my school who can't). 

I love it when my teachers pretend to know about computers. xD

Im pretty sure that computer just raped the imac. xD

Not with that crappy Acer monitor. Raw power doesn't mean much when your display blows.

I had macs in my middle school (like 10 years ago), they weren't half bad. But then again my school was loaded and liked to waste money :/.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Educational pricing and apple support, security, comes with fantastic software, compatible with Microsoft products, stable quiet and well built/robust

if it's a school, i doubt they will have strictly only Macs, so security is one the same level throughout school, at least when it comes to the server, same websites are banned on all machines as well.

How big are the discounts? do they go below traditional PC with equivalent specs?

Again, school probably won't have only Macs, so software will already be mass-licensed, they do have an edge in places like garage band.

Stable.. hmm ish. 2 iMacs died in 20odd iMac room within 2 years of usage back in 2011. Quiet? Haven't heard the new ones, but the fans were sure raging on the older "square" iMacs. Robust at a cost of functionality. 

Not to mention the retarded mac keyboards and mice every school will buy because they are wireless and made for mac.

Not with that crappy Acer monitor. Raw power doesn't mean much when your display blows.

Oh, I didnt see the monitor, it is probably way worse than the one in the imac. But the acer h236hl bid is really similar to the imac's. Except the acer is 1.5 inches bigger. :)

Makes them feel special..

It makes them feel tech savvy, which they're not at all. xD

School district probably has a deal with them.

They've been doing that since the early 80's.

Once upon a time there was a system built exclusively for schools, was a complete bust

can't remember the name of it though.   Looked kinda like a Commodore PET but it was black.

Oh, I didnt see the monitor, it is probably way worse than the one in the imac. But the acer h236hl bid is really similar to the imac's. Except the acer is 1.5 inches bigger. :)

I'm actually not sure what the specs are for the smaller imac, but the larger of the two has a quality display that'd cost a lot if you get something that isn't one of those cheap Korean monitors. :V