Shouldn’t this be called Whale LAN instead of WHALE LAN

Failure 101

It should be Whale LAN unless WHALE is a acronym.

Linus pls fix

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

11 minutes ago, LMGcommunity said:

We Hosted A LAN Event

Just so we are all clear, the full name of the event is:  "We Hosted A Local Area Network Event Local Area Network" 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

Huh

I always thought it's "We're Hosting A Local Event"

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

I always assumed it stood for the dumb people that spends gobs of money on on dumb things (e.g., pay-to-win apps/games). I wasn't sure why LTT would call their own fans that, but this is also the same group that said "trust me bro."

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

1 hour ago, Kid.Lazer said:

I always assumed it stood for the dumb people that spends gobs of money on on dumb things (e.g., pay-to-win apps/games). I wasn't sure why LTT would call their own fans that, but this is also the same group that said "trust me bro."

Someone correct me as my memory is fallible, but as I recall the first WHALE LAN was purposefully egregiously expensive. $10,000 iirc and came with your own gaming PC that you can take home with you. It was exclusive the top tier of fans, the whales you are describing, and tongue-in-cheek in nature.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

4 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Someone correct me as my memory is fallible, but as I recall the first WHALE LAN was purposefully egregiously expensive. $10,000 iirc and came with your own gaming PC that you can take home with you. It was exclusive the top tier of fans, the whales you are describing, and tongue-in-cheek in nature.

I would have never remembered those specifics on my own, but that does ring a bell and is probably why I thought that!

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

1 hour ago, Skipple said:

There were multiple kinds of seats one was about 80 dollars iirc and it’s just your normal LAN seat and then there was the Whale seat which was 10k

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

On 12/19/2023 at 5:40 PM, Kid.Lazer said:

if i'm not mistaken it's an idea that started on WAN show while shit-talking whales on pay2win mobile games, and someone just proposed "we should have whale tickets" and the idea was, as advertised, that it was disproportionally more expensive for the extras offered, and named after the derogatory term for people who spend stupid amounts of money, just to press home the fact that those seats are poor value.

basicly, it's "dont buy this" front-to-back, but no matter how poor value you make your halo tier, there'll always be enough "whales" to fill it.. and why not if it offsets some of the costs for regular tier folks.

it's as much a jab at people's spending habits as it is a serious "halo tier" offering. basicly - it's like the balcony seats in a theatre, but instead of calling them "VIP" seats, they're called "we're fleecing you for money" seats.

and after that.. the branding just stuck i presume. i like the branding, i like the logo, and i like the premise that the "more money than brains" club pays for the party so that the admission fee can be a whole lot lower for those who have to save up to actually go there.

On 12/16/2023 at 6:15 AM, Failure 101 said:

It should be Whale LAN unless WHALE is a acronym.

But then

On 12/16/2023 at 6:15 AM, Failure 101 said:

Linus pls fix

🤔

Whale - in this context - is referring to excessive, but insignificant (to the person concerned), financial outlay and therefore is nothing to do with acronyms. 

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!