When buying a system nowadays, how long should one wait to upgrade?

Kiverix

It's a wiered question but, since pretty much all componants are good at pretty much whatever you like, when is upgrading gonna be considered "verry significant"?

i'm a french boy

| Intel Core I5-12600K | GIGABYTE RTX 4060 8Gb | 16Gb DDR4 Corsaire Vengeance LPX C16 3200MT/s | Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb Storage |

2 minutes ago, Kiverix said:

It's a wiered question but, since pretty much all componants are good at pretty much whatever you like, when is upgrading gonna be considered "verry significant"?

It depends. I'd say a CPU upgrade if the GPU isn't the limiting factor in most games (which is common), and a GPU upgrade that's +50% or more in performance, although if the price of doing so isn't unreasonable.

Its probably the most complicated environment for computer hardware I've seen, and by a lot. The market is incredibly nuanced where its difficult to make generalized recommendations outside of the RX 6700 XT and some sort of newer generation i5/R5+ CPU (for new parts specifically).

Right now, the competition between Intel and AMD is quite fierce, so we've seen significant gains in CPU performance over the last couple generations. Before that, it was practically trivial to upgrade a CPU for gaming performance. To simply put it, almost everyone would substantially benefit from upgrading their Ryzen 3000 or Intel 11th generation or earlier CPU with a newer one.

GPUs have been a minefield, where there's significant gains in performance but usually at the cost of power consumption. Going all the way back to GTX 1070+ series or RX 5700 XT are still substantial in the performance department. The significant advantage (other than simply throwing more power at the problem) has been ray tracing and DLSS, which not all games support, so a 1080ti is still an extremely capable card in 2023.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Until the current system is no longer adequate for your needs. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

Until the current system is no longer adequate for your needs. 

^ this.

if your CPU is holding your system back, you upgrade it.

If your GPU is holding it back, you upgrade it.

Etc.

2 minutes ago, Kiverix said:

It really depends on your use case, what games you play, what programs you use, what version of programs, what kind of performance your expecting, That and you also have to take into account when you personally would like to upgrade like how many years are you targeting to get vs your budget, if you only playing the same things and using the same programs you can build a pc that suits those needs and run it till the wheels fall off which could be 10 years, on the other side if you play the latest games use the latest software and always try to run newest features always high settings, you'll want to aim the performance of your component choices 20%+ what you'll need today to be able to have a good experience 2 years from now, its all very personal 

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

Until one of three things happens. 1) none of the games that you want to play have higher minimum requirements then what you have. 2) the games you want to play are running horribly and you can’t stand it. 3) you want to, it is a large enough boost in power, and you can afford it.

If one or more of these are met, go ahead and upgrade, otherwise it isn’t worth it.

Agreed, you only need an upgrade if your current hardware is preventing you from running a game you want to play adequately. I'm still playing VR games on my desktop that I built about 8 years ago, and haven't run into a VR game that I couldn't play with reasonable framerates. The only thing I've upgraded in that time was the GPU to an RTX 2070 SUPER for a great deal. Though it is also going to depend on how good of a system it was initially. In my case I won the silicon lottery with a killer i7-6700k that overclocks well and still handles modern games very well (as long as they aren't really CPU-heavy games).

I imagine at some point this decade I'm going to come across a killer VR title that I won't be able to play at 90 Hz due to CPU limits and will probably have to build a new PC, but I'm in no hurry for that to happen.

If you're building a midrange PC then you might have to upgrade more regularly if you like to keep up with modern gaming titles, but you also spend less each time.

"Very significant" would be 10 year mark.

Few years ago it was pretty common that GPU was upgraded in 2-5 years and CPU in 3-7 years. But. There's always multiple Buts.

Upgrade is due only when:

1. You have actual need for it.
  2. You have money to do it.
  3. You just really want to do it.

Imo only in that order.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Can depend in point of time with components and how performance fairs and lasta. My upgrades were 4-7y between builds. That's what I'd call decently usable range if you want to play newest titles each year and not always on low and bad fps too. 

Just lately I went from 3800x + 5700 XT to 7800X3D + 7900XTX and it's a huge upgrade. In some games the improvement was eyeopening.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

19 hours ago, Kiverix said:

7 years.

Traditionally, you don't spend more than 50% to upgrade over replacement. So if a new PC is 1000$ and upgrading what you have is $500, you may as well just spend the 1000$ if the performance would be doubled.

Upgrading from DDR2/DDR3/DDR4 to DDR5 is also the best guideline for when you should replace something. If you bought a new DDR4 system after DDR5 started come out, then you may as well wait until DDR6 comes out before you upgrade to DDR5. This isn't generally great advice, but if you're trying to hypermile a system, it IS best to buy a new system with the maximum RAM right before the change to new RAM, because you're going to be stuck with it anyway. Where as when you buy a new system when a new RAM is introduced, you aren't going to minmax that, because faster RAM will come out next year.

It makes the most sense to do that, but that's usually not an option if you need something "now".

So usually within 7 years I would:

1. Buy the intended CPU and half the RAM capacity (eg if the max is 128GB in 4 sticks, buy 64GB in 2 sticks)

2. Upgrade the GPU to the same tier (eg 1080 to 3080)

3. Max out the system RAM (2 more sticks to 128GB)

4. Upgrade the GPU again (3080 to 5080/5090)

And within 20 years, I've replaced monitors 5 times. Two because they were getting screen burn-retention, and one because it just wouldn't turn on. So I went from 1080 TN to 1080 TN to 4K IPS for the primary screen, and 900p TN to 1080p TN for the second screen. So when I'm shopping for a new monitor next time, I'll look for probably an HDR 4K monitor and push the 4K IPS to the second screen.

When considering upgrade I also look at problems with that generation. I've written off the 40xx simply because of the 12vhpwr connectors melting, and I don't trust anyone to actually fix it, so may as well skip it.

Likewise with the CPU upgrades. If a CPU has a specific issue (eg 12th and 13th gen intel's need windows 11) and I'm not ready to upgrade to windows 11, I'll wait. Right now the AMD CPU's look like a better deal overall, but if you're into video or AI work, you are still better off on Intel/Nvidia than AMD CPU/AMD GPU or Intel CPU/AMD GPU. Intel's GPU's haven't reached a level of stability I would want, unless I just needed a video encoder GPU.

19 hours ago, Kiverix said:

As soon as:

1) The PC's hardware cannot do what you want it too (This target is moving and different for everyone, it might be that there is a big new thing that your hardware dosn't have or support (DLSS, Raytracing, AV1 ect. are previous examples), or it might be that a new game won't run at 144hz at 4k on max settings)

and

2) The cost of upgrading is low enough that you personnally consider the upgrade to be worth the expenditure.

I get that this answer is a a bit of a cope out, but I think it is the correct answer.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

16 hours ago, smcoakley said:

you only need an upgrade if your current hardware is preventing you from running a game you want to play adequately.

[Emphases are mine]

19 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

I think the time to upgrade is when you can't run a game, that you really enjoy

In this day & age, I do not recommend performing an upgrade for a single game unless you can confirm with independent technical reviewers (Digital Foundry?) that the game is currently well optimized, or literally all your other games that run fine are much older.

See: Starfield.

If you have multiple games that can benefit from an upgrade, then great.

If however you do an upgrade for a single game that happens to be unoptimized, then there are risks that:

• The benefit of upgrading hardware will not be much for that game
  • If all your other games were already running fine then you have to ask yourself if there will be any noticible benefit to those other games

2 minutes ago, NobleGamer said:

[Emphases are mine]

In this day & age, I do not recommend performing an upgrade for a single game unless you can confirm with independent technical reviewers (Digital Foundry?) that the game is currently well optimized, or literally all your other games that run fine are much older.

See: Starfield.

If you have multiple games that can benefit from an upgrade, then great.

If however you do an upgrade for a single game that happens to be unoptimized, then there are risks that:

• The benefit of upgrading hardware will not be much for that game
  • If all your other games were already running fine then you have to ask yourself if there will be any noticible benefit to those other games

True, if the game has been pushed out before it was ready, waiting for performance patches is a good move. A depressingly large number of games these days need to be given 6 months following release to get a good experience. 

I'm holding off buying Cities Skylines 2 until performance is fixed. I'm not buying a 4090, and still probably running into issues.

• 4 weeks later...

5-7 years each big jump and components upgrade within 1-2 years. 

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

2 hours ago, Waqas409 said:

1-2 years. 

hard disagree there.  Why would you even buy something planning on 'upgrading' it next year?  This isn't motor oil or running shoes.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

4 hours ago, Waqas409 said:

5-7 years each big jump and components upgrade within 1-2 years. 

If you're upgrading something 12-24 months after you buy it, you should have just waited 24 months.

That said, sometimes there is a bargain to be had if you buy a system with only half the memory and only one SSD populated, and then buy the other half of the RAM and a second SSD 24 months later when the prices on those parts drop.

Like my last build was basically an emergency build after sitting on a 4th gen intel as long as possible, and what was new was the 11th gen. I was holding out for prices to drop but unfortunately needed it now, so I only bought it with the same spec the 4th gen had, 32GB RAM and reused the PCIe Gen 3 SSD, and RTX 3070Ti. So I can not justify throwing out the MB, CPU and RAM again and will likely wait for a DDR6 to be in production before replacing the MB/CPU/RAM again. I did add 64GB to this system last year though. So it has 96, but I didn't want to throw away the 32GB it had so kept it in.

I would not justify a small bump upgrade unless it can work in tandem with what you have. So a GPU upgrade is usually something worth replacing at the mid-point (eg 3-4 years), and isn't justified sooner unless you are going immediately up (eg RTX x70 to x90) or the price of the upgrade heavily discounted (eg 30xx parts were basically all fire-sale'd last year so I picked up the 3090 despite having a 3070Ti.)

17 minutes ago, Kisai said:

If you're upgrading something 12-24 months after you buy it, you should have just waited 24 months.

That said, sometimes there is a bargain to be had if you buy a system with only half the memory and only one SSD populated, and then buy the other half of the RAM and a second SSD 24 months later when the prices on those parts drop.

Like my last build was basically an emergency build after sitting on a 4th gen intel as long as possible, and what was new was the 11th gen. I was holding out for prices to drop but unfortunately needed it now, so I only bought it with the same spec the 4th gen had, 32GB RAM and reused the PCIe Gen 3 SSD, and RTX 3070Ti. So I can not justify throwing out the MB, CPU and RAM again and will likely wait for a DDR6 to be in production before replacing the MB/CPU/RAM again. I did add 64GB to this system last year though. So it has 96, but I didn't want to throw away the 32GB it had so kept it in.

I would not justify a small bump upgrade unless it can work in tandem with what you have. So a GPU upgrade is usually something worth replacing at the mid-point (eg 3-4 years), and isn't justified sooner unless you are going immediately up (eg RTX x70 to x90) or the price of the upgrade heavily discounted (eg 30xx parts were basically all fire-sale'd last year so I picked up the 3090 despite having a 3070Ti.)

I'm not talking about the new parts.
i meant for example if someone is going to buy a Ryzen 5 2600 (low budget) and year after he can easily swap it with the best option available. 

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

I have two criteria:

1. I have to feel my current system can't do what I want it to do, as well as I want it to. Compared to what other hardware exist out there.

2. Whatever I am upgrading to should be at least 2x the performance, without being the top end hardware/too expensive.  Exceptions can be made, for example bar is a little lower if CPU can be changed while keeping mobo, if it's cheap enough.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 12/6/2023 at 6:13 PM, Kiverix said:

Rule of thumb: you need to gain at least 30% performance to notice the upgrade. 50% and above is definitely a noticable improvement. This generally aligns with an upgrade cycle of 3 to 4 years if you stay at the same performance tier.

But you need to consider everything. New pc parts won't improve anything if you are already achieving enough for the capabilities of your monitor. The jump from high to ultra is also not worth any money. If it's (somehow) a business expense, tax right-off periods might be important. It really depends.

I think that from personal experience i would wait 3-4 years to really get a good upgrade. As i have waited that long to upgrade my card and after upgrading it was a night and day difference. It feels better.

Sorry if i misinterpret or say something rude, i'm on the spectrum and have a hard time with anything social. I do my best to make sure i don't but sometimes i just cant tell.

SYSTEM SPECS

ASUS ROG STRIX B450F-II Gaming

AMD Ryzen 7 5700g

8GB Trident Z Neo RAM - 3200 MHZ

2 TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe SSD + other ssd drives totaling to 2 tb

Seagate 750W PSU Platinum Rated

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Gaming OC 12G rev 2.0

VERY FIRST COMPUTER SPECS

Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.8GHz

2GB LPDDR4-3200

2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11ac wireless, Bluetooth 5.0, BLE
Gigabit Ethernet

yeah it was basically a raspberry pi 4 model b 2gb. I do have a 4gb now cause the 2 gb one shorted out. Still love absolutely everything about that tiny computer as its the reasons i like computers so much now and the reason i know so much about computers and how to use them.

"If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in." - Edsger Dijkstra

Personally, I build a new system every 4 years. That way my current one still has enough value to take a huge chunk out of the cost of the new one, and I stay reltively current.