PSA: Benchmark & chart compares @ PCPP

NobleGamer

Looking to buy a storage drive? Want an easy way to compare how much faster or slower they actually are compared to each other? Suspicious of basic benchmarks on mainstream review sites with meaningless point scores?

Not long ago, PC Part Picker came up with a comprehensive storage testing methodology that and put their 100+ most popular SSD (and some HDD) drives through their testing.  Recently they added graphs of their test results, which can be used to compare multiple drives' performance when it comes to sequential or random read/write performance. Viewing details of a specific drive with a benchmark will show its benchmark ranking relative to other tested drives. No account required to compare drives & such, but if you do its a great way to manage build part lists.

Benefits to these benchmarks:

• Gives read/write speeds over  short & long time periods to see when cache runs out or inconsistent performance happens. Beneficial for simulating file copy/move and...
  • Random throughput performance matters for OS booting and games/apps with many or small files that are loaded from SSD to memory or GPU
  • These tests are OS agnostic - So there is no interference from the OS-specific handling of the SSD, such as when TRIM is performed

I hope this is helpful for people who are more discerning about the performance of drives they purchase. For example, I know it was helpful to me when I was looking for a budget SSD that I want to ensure doesn't have totally weak random reads/writes compared to other budget drives.

Some obligatory caveats to this, or really any benchmarks:

• Beyond a certain point with SSDs, h read & write speeds hardly matter when it comes to gaming, unless a game requires many random read/writes
  • Sequential & random benchmark speeds don't necessarily directly translate to real world performance with OS overhead, etc. PCPP did tests without installing an OS on the drives they test, which removes some such overhead & variables
  • Some manufacturers have or can change the drive hardware (controllers, etc) without changing the model number, which can impact performance between different drives of the same model
Edited by NobleGamer
Provided why this is beneficial

There's also one on Techpowerup with more than 1200 drives.

https://www.techpowerup.com/ssd-specs/

Good to see more companies doing this, but it's going to be a while before PCPP catches up with the TPU database.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

There's also one on Techpowerup with more than 1200 drives.

https://www.techpowerup.com/ssd-specs/

Good to see more companies doing this, but it's going to be a while before PCPP catches up with the TPU database.

Its useful, though doesn't seem to have benchmarks - It has hardware & tech specs beyond what retailers typically provide, and warns if a drive has different hardware/controllers for the same model. The speeds & IOPS listed on techpowerup are provided by the manufacturer, and are not based on independent benchmarks.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/23/2022 at 6:56 PM, NobleGamer said:

Its useful, though doesn't seem to have benchmarks - It has hardware & tech specs beyond what retailers typically provide, and warns if a drive has different hardware/controllers for the same model. The speeds & IOPS listed on techpowerup are provided by the manufacturer, and are not based on independent benchmarks.

Yes, thats true because unfortunately we can't make a performance graph like we have for GPUs since its way easier to test GPUs and see a performance difference, but with SSDs its way harder, and even testing with different hardware there is a big performance difference, so in order to have a relative performance, the best case scenarios would be to find a website or reviewer that had tested the 1200+ SSDs that I have added to the database.

People ask me a lot to make a tierlist as well, but thats very difficult if you understand how storage works, because the smallest things can make a high end SSD perform a little worst in some scenarios agains the second fastest SSD for example.

"Once there was an explosion, a bang that gave birth to time and space. Once there was an explosion, a bang that set a planet spinning in that space. Once there was an explosion, a bang that gave rise to life as we know it... And then came the next explosion. An explosion that will be our last"

"... To see the world in a grain of sand. Heaven in a wild flower

Hold infinite in the palm of your hand.  And eternity in an hour ..."

PC: 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 4.3GHz 1.3875v Motherboard: AsRock X470 Taichi (BIOS: Agesa 1.0.0.3 ABB) RAM: 4x8GB(32) 3200MHzCL16 Hyper X GPU: GTX 980 Ti Waterforce Xtreme Core Clock: 1595MHz Memory Clock: 8000MHz Storage: SAMSUNG EVO 860 2TB(OS) / SAMSUNG EVO 860 1TB(Backup) Cooler: NZXT Hydro X72 360mm Case: NZXT Phantom 820 PSU: Corsair TX-750w Display Monitor: Monitor AOC AG251FG 240Hz G-Sync 1080p Headset: Headset LogiTech G633 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Version: 1909 / OS Build: )

NOTEBOOK:

Model: Acer Aspire 5516 CPU: AMD TF-20 1.6GHz(1C/1T) GPU: ATI Radeon X1200(256MB) RAM: 4GB(2x2GB) 666MHz HD: SSD Sandisk PLUS 240GB OS: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64