Maddox has been stalked and harassed online for 5+ years

bam409

Summary

If you've been on the internet for long enough, you might have heard of Maddox. In his video, he talks about his experience with a stalker who was once a fan, Dax Herrera, also known as Dick Masterson online.

He shares how he caught Herrera lying and talking behind his back while they worked together on a podcast (The Biggest Problem in the Universe), and after cutting ties, he became overcome with obsession towards Maddox. He has proof to back up every claim he makes throughout the entire 2+ hour video. You'll find  multiple examples to illustrate the severity of the issue, including a situation where an he was doxxed and his home address was shared without permission, leading to the demolition of the building he lived in.

Despite Maddox ignoring him, Herrera continued to tweet about him constantly over 752 full pages on a 6-inch smartphone, even creating mobs for targeted harassment and abuse. Maddox emphasizes the negative impact that ignoring such behavior can have on a person's reputation and stresses that Patreon and Reddit are giving his stalker a platform to continue his harassment.

Quotes

I used to do a podcast with a fan I met in 2007. I caught him lying, talking behind my back and hiding financial information from me. I tried to cut ties by blocking him everywhere I could and moving on with my life, but he has become an obsessed stalker who has dedicated over half a decade to obsessing over me.

His name is Dax Herrera and he's been trying to provoke me in to a response for over half a decade, so now I'm going to give it to him.

My thoughts

I think it's important that this topic be discussed since it tackles a much broader issue of targeted online harassment, where despite the fact that he got the authorities involved, platforms such as Reddit, Twitter or Patreon continue to allow Dax's behavior. The online climate has become so toxic that not even lawsuits can tame it.

Sources

-> Moved to General Discussion

This doesn't quite hit the "tech" aspect of the section. Additionally, this seems to be documentary/interview with one side of the story. E2: Even more not news as this is the "victim" himself reporting it.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

First time I ever heard of him/her.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

9 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Yeah.  Zero context means zero cares.

13 minutes ago, htimsenyawed said:

I’m really surprised to hear about him being stalked though, since I thought I had read he had committed suicide circa 2011-2012. 

"Bobby, Al Yankovich blew his brains out in the late 80's when people stopped buying his records." 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

11 minutes ago, htimsenyawed said:

It's true because Hank said it.

If Peggy had said it, absolutely not.

Radical Radeon: 5800X3D . 32GB CL14 3800 . Asrock Extreme 4 . RX 7900 XT . Silicon Power 4TB SATA + Crucial P5 2TB NVME . Enermax Revolution D.F 850W . Corsair Obsidian 1000D

Interface: Coolermaster CK-270 + XTRFY MZ1 . Astroo A40 + Mixamp Pro . Wharfdale Diamond 11.0 + SMSL A300

Displays: Zowie XL2746S 240hz Dyac+ (182hz 1350VT / perfect motion clarity) . Viewsonic XG270 165hz VA . LG 4K 60hz 27UL550P

Software: Windows 11 Pro . Kaspersky AV, Mullvad, Lightshot, LibreOffice, GIMP, Davinici Resolve  + Linux Fedora (Gaming)

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to General Discussion

This doesn't quite hit the "tech" aspect of the section. Additionally, this seems to be documentary/interview with one side of the story. E2: Even more not news as this is the "victim" himself reporting it.

True, however for better or worse, he does have (and show during the video) the screenshots to back up all the claims. Some of the stuff he shows on there, yikes.

Edit: Thought it'd belong in tech since we're also talking about said platforms.

2 minutes ago, bam409 said:

True, however for better or worse, he does have (and show during the video) the screenshots to back up all the claims. Some of the stuff he shows on there, yikes.

Showing things like that is rather normal in internet drama. If you want to talk about harassment of Youtubers/Twitch streamers, ones who's story is covered by other channels than just their own, there's a list available. Destiny, Amouranth, Sweet Anita etc.

Still, this is not tech, and pretty on the hinge on news unless there has been some significant development in this thing. Like why bring it up now and not when it started and he was more relevant.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I wouldn't blindly trust Maddox's side of this story. 

He tried to frame Dick before by taking things out of context and also tried to sue him for 380 million dollars because Dick made fun of Maddox. 

You can read more about that here:

https://medium.com/@OtherkinLawyer/lolsuit-maddox-dick-masterson-fa9c4a4f4686

Highly recommended reading before someone decides to pick side on this matter because it gives a lot of context. 

Maddox is basically an edgy teenager who is stuck in a adult man's body. I wouldn't put it past him to forge "evidence" of being wronged, and to take things out of context (like taking a clip from a satirical sketch and presenting it as serious) to try and harm someone who makes fun of him.

By the way, the lawsuit was thrown out because:

1) He filed it in the wrong state (didn't want to file it in California because then he would have had to pay legal fees when he inevitably lost) 

2) Because according to the judge "this complaint is such a mess that I can't address these issues because I can't specifically point to what's being alleged as against your client or your client" 

Is this the same Maddox as Maddox from "The Greatest Site in the Universe" Maddox from 20 years ago? 

(and no I'm not watching a video to find this out, sources should be in written format (even if this thread is no longer in news))

38 minutes ago, htimsenyawed said:

Yes. The same one who insulted and attacked everyone and anything. 

Great fun when I was a young teenager going through the angsty “it’s not a phase!” part of my life and just cringe as an adult. 

Man I had forgotten about him until this thread. 

I kind of remember the greatest site in the universe as kind of funny exactly because it was insulting everyone and evereything. I saw it as satire. 

We are not talking about ”you should only punch up-wards” that site punched in every direction. 

You kind of can’t have that stuff nowadays. 

But I’m sure that, even for, me some of the stuff hasn’t aged well. 

17 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I wouldn't blindly trust Maddox's side of this story. 

He tried to frame Dick before by taking things out of context and also tried to sue him for 380 million dollars because Dick made fun of Maddox. 

You can read more about that here:

https://medium.com/@OtherkinLawyer/lolsuit-maddox-dick-masterson-fa9c4a4f4686

Highly recommended reading before someone decides to pick side on this matter because it gives a lot of context. 

Maddox is basically an edgy teenager who is stuck in a adult man's body. I wouldn't put it past him to forge "evidence" of being wronged, and to take things out of context (like taking a clip from a satirical sketch and presenting it as serious) to try and harm someone who makes fun of him.

By the way, the lawsuit was thrown out because:

1) He filed it in the wrong state (didn't want to file it in California because then he would have had to pay legal fees when he inevitably lost) 

2) Because according to the judge "this complaint is such a mess that I can't address these issues because I can't specifically point to what's being alleged as against your client or your client" 

Anyone reading this thread, also be careful of sources you read like the one this individual posted here.  When you have articles stating that said podcast is "the Seinfeld of podcasts, replete with funny rants, absurdist arguments and first-rate comedy bits." I would be VERY suspect of that persons motivations.

Not to mention that "Kev the Lawyer" which is the account from this medium page, has only 1 article which is this specific rant.  The twitter associated with the article's account is nothing but anti-maddox tweets.  Wouldn't be surprised if this was another Dax alt.  

On 12/6/2023 at 8:48 AM, Poinkachu said:

He was funny in 2007. 

I am not making that year up. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

On 12/7/2023 at 5:33 PM, 2dfx said:

Anyone reading this thread, also be careful of sources you read like the one this individual posted here.  When you have articles stating that said podcast is "the Seinfeld of podcasts, replete with funny rants, absurdist arguments and first-rate comedy bits." I would be VERY suspect of that persons motivations.

Not to mention that "Kev the Lawyer" which is the account from this medium page, has only 1 article which is this specific rant.  The twitter associated with the article's account is nothing but anti-maddox tweets.  Wouldn't be surprised if this was another Dax alt.  

Not everyone who thinks Maddox has been acting ridiculous is a Dax alt-account. 

The lawsuit was thrown out of court, twice, because it held absolutely no water. It was really poorly written, like if a teenager took YouTube comments and submitted it to a court. 

Now that Maddox has lost in the court of law multiple times it seems like he is trying to win in the court of public opinion. 

Not sure if he deserve to win there but I think his past actions are important to know before listening to his side of the story, retold after multiple defeats and after many years. 

I haven't watched his video, but I doubt it brings up all the shitty things Maddox did, like trying to get people fired, tried suing them for millions for calling him a cuck and so on. 

I am sure both sides have done their share of shitty things and Maddox is probably a victim to some extent. But I wouldn't trust what he says just like I don't trust what Dick says. I doubt either of them are pleasant people that are above doing shitty things like lying and misrepresenting facts for personal gains. 

On 12/8/2023 at 2:56 AM, Andreas Lilja said:

He was funny in 2007. 

I am not making that year up. 

Yep, and the thing about internet humor from that timeframe (including Maddox’s work), is that a lot of it was brain food for edgelords, like people that exclusively listened to Rage Against the Machine. I knew a lot of people that read his site and Maddox always seemed unstable.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

On 12/6/2023 at 5:44 AM, htimsenyawed said:

I remember whenever I thought Maddox was entertaining… Wow, that was a long time ago. 

The old stuff was gold. The new stuff is a guy trying to relive the glory of his late teenage years in his 40s. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

Maddox stopped being funny when swapped from the text site to the videos, or perhaps I got older and found him less amusing, I don't know.

Anyway: If any of the allegations are true it sucks as stalking is disgusting behaviour