Call Of Duty: MW3 gains criticism from many players with decreased player counts

filpo

Summary

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 isn't being met with enthusiasm and has become a victim of review bombing as it gets negative user reviews on Steam and Metacritic.

Quotes

With the initial release of the title, the game managed to garner 177,881 concurrent players on Valve's platform. However, that was down by around 25% compared to last year's Modern Warfare 2. To make things worse, Modern Warfare 3 Steam reviews took a great low, and as of right now, most of the reviews are "negative" with players expressing their concern about the in-game content and the overall pricing of the title. Out of 3,110 reviews on Steam, more than 70% are labeled as negative ones.

Most reviews mention buyers "getting scammed" by the new release, mainly because the title employs reused game assets and little to minor changes in the overall graphics. Based on what the majority says, they believe that the "premium price tag" with the title is nothing more than a gimmick and that the in-game campaign is a "terrible" experience. Interestingly, even the original Modern Warfare 3 from 2011 was the subject of review bombing as some users mistakenly believed they were reviewing the new game.

It is now evident that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 will go down the books as one of the worst releases in the franchise by Activision, and to top it off, the $70 price tag doesn't seem right here. After all, we've reported multiple times the rumours that the title was meant to be a DLC. It was Activision that decided to make this into a full-fledged sequel.

Earlier this week, a new report revealed that Sledgehammer Games only had around sixteen months to make the game, a record low for any franchise instalment. Moreover, the developer had originally pitched a sequel to 2014's well-received entry Advanced Warfare, but it had been set aside to make way for the new Modern Warfare. The head of Sledgehammer released a statement to deny the contents of the report, but then again, we wouldn't expect anything less to be said in public.

On the upside, Microsoft is now the owner of Activision Blizzard, and it'll likely make some changes to this development structure - especially after the underwhelming launch of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.

My thoughts

A quite lukewarm launch from Activision but I'd like to see how they do under Microsoft owning them

Sources

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Sees Huge Criticism from Gamers (wccftech.com)

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Call of Duty thinks their gonna remake copies of their OG great titles from over 10 years ago...no wonder why they suck nowadays and are just as unoriginal now like Hollywood making poorly made sequels. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

37 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Call of Duty thinks their gonna remake copies of their OG great titles from over 10 years ago...no wonder why they suck nowadays and are just as unoriginal now like Hollywood making poorly made sequels. 

And the worst thing is the games are objectively worse compared to their predecessors as they offer less content in all ways. No wonder the reception is meh at best. That and mw3 was at the time it came out also not met with the highest praise and many stayed on mw2 which also showed through the years where mw2 stayed far more active.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

And the worst thing is the games are objectively worse compared to their predecessors as they offer less content in all ways. No wonder the reception is meh at best. That and mw3 was at the time it came out also not met with the highest praise and many stayed on mw2 which also showed through the years where mw2 stayed far more active.

I'm betting $100 million right now, Call of Duty: Black Ops II will be the next game they release next year. 

/s 

It's true between microtransactions and less and less quality content that games have gotten worse. I don't know if it's too many bean counters and not enough developers but that's why I don't buy AAA games anymore, especially if they are seeking $60+. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

5 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

I'm betting $100 million right now, Call of Duty: Black Ops II will be the next game they release next year. 

2024 it's already been leaked a couple times along with wm3 remaster and a bunch of warzone stuff including dates and they have so far all lined up give or take a couple weeks.

Btw the original mw3 was basically a mappack made game. It was a big issue for players back then.

And activision literally doubled down on it to the point that it is seen as additive content on multiple storefronts.

AAA game companies are solely focused on getting the money they deserve from our wallets in any way shape or form (their mindset). They no longer make games, havent for a long time. They make highly purchasable products with buying incentive loops and retention loops. It's why a lot of AAA games end up not being fun when that is all games used to be about.

We get the rare one from time to time but it's either a fluke, passion project or from a studio that gets classed with AAA but stayed independent and had even a little bit of morality and self respect left.

Ah yes noob game further funneled by fools.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

CoD MP is F2P trash tier at this point imo.

I wonder if the MS acquisition had them drop the ball.

Honestly I played a bit of the game and think the level design is weird to me. Feels like so many angles to worry about that I am constantly getting shot from different directions. Also I do think a map pack with some extra guns is an apt description of the game. 

🤷

stopped carrying after the first remake and after we were free to roam outside.

Also no reason to waste more than 100GB of disk space for a mediocre game.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

tech news? but yes its down in quality like how they just doubled the price of non-working titles that are 10 to nearly 20y old.

They at least did something new with MW3 (2023), but it does feel very cheap considering they are trying to use warzone/open world-ish SP missions.

Not well crafted scripted sequences, also that they had what was it, 16 months to work on it compared to 3y? its wild how they treat their game IP's now.

1 hour ago, Quackers101 said:

tech news?

I guess it could be general discussion or off-topic

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

On 11/13/2023 at 2:48 PM, CommanderAlex said:

"AAA" games in a nutshell 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 11/13/2023 at 4:55 PM, ToboRobot said:

I wonder if the MS acquisition had them drop the ball

No. Everything MS touches turns automatically into gold, don't you know! 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 11/16/2023 at 6:32 AM, RejZoR said:

Original MW3 was actually pretty good.

Honestly it's hard to tell because modern warfare and MW2 were amazing games so in comparison MW3 seemed not all that great. It does get hard when you have to live up to high expectations due to the previous title being super good. I mean MW2 was so good that it's pretty hard to figure out how to make a better game and even if you did the game probably wouldn't be much better so it would still be a bit disappointing. 

4 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly it's hard to tell because modern warfare and MW2 were amazing games so in comparison MW3 seemed not all that great. It does get hard when you have to live up to high expectations due to the previous title being super good. I mean MW2 was so good that it's pretty hard to figure out how to make a better game and even if you did the game probably wouldn't be much better so it would still be a bit disappointing. 

I'm not quite sure what made MW2 so memorable for everyone. For me, MW3's scenarios all over the world, particularly in Europe made it much more memorable for me. Although I have to admit I don't remember either particularly well. I actually remember CoD:Ghosts more, especially the intro destruction scene which was quite awesome. But beyond that, not much. It's like CoD's are actually not really that memorable long term compared to something like Deus Ex franchise where people still to this day bring up crazy detailed memories of stuff and these games are far longer gameplay wise and have much more complex interaction with everything.

21 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I'm not quite sure what made MW2 so memorable for everyone. For me, MW3's scenarios all over the world, particularly in Europe made it much more memorable for me. Although I have to admit I don't remember either particularly well. I actually remember CoD:Ghosts more, especially the intro destruction scene which was quite awesome. But beyond that, not much. It's like CoD's are actually not really that memorable long term compared to something like Deus Ex franchise where people still to this day bring up crazy detailed memories of stuff and these games are far longer gameplay wise and have much more complex interaction with everything.

MW2 introduced pretty good coop missions and MW3 was basically the same game mechanically, but with different maps and weapons. Both were pretty memorable for me because the main time sink in my childhood was playing splitscreen games with my friends. And both games offered 4 player splitscreen and highly customizable game modes. Want everyone to always be a 1-hit kill? Want everyone to run around as a juggernaut? Want to play a counter-strike-like bomb defuse mode? Stuff like that.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

9 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I was way more into the multiplayer than the campaign. That said I did like the campaign as well. MW2 was just super good and felt great to play especially the maps. For me the biggest thing I didn't like for MW3 was the map design. It just liked MW2 maps more. Also MW2 was a standout for its time because there wasn't really anything like it prior to its release while MW3 felt like MW2 with worse maps and I didn't like the guns as much. 

i wonder how long it takes until people realize that buying the same game over and over again doesn't make any sense... i mean i coulda sworn there already are multiple  "MW3".... how often can you shoot the same pixel in the head before it gets boring?  lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

i wonder how long it takes until people realize that buying the same game over and over again doesn't make any sense... i mean i coulda sworn there already are multiple  "MW3".... how often can you shoot the same pixel in the head before it gets boring?  lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Yeah, the 'they've bought it before, they'll buy it again' philosophy has its limits. I wonder how many more years before the execs realize this?

On 11/24/2023 at 11:50 PM, Monkey Dust said:

Yeah, the 'they've bought it before, they'll buy it again' philosophy has its limits. I wonder how many more years before the execs realize this?

*Looks at FIFA sales*

Never.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

*Looks at FIFA sales*

Never.

I'd argue a different, and captive, audience to CoD. Some people buy consoles solely for FIFA. FIFA (or whatever it is they are calling it now for licencing reasons) doesn't have a competitor. EA can, and do, whatever the fuck they like, without much risk of driving customers away.

COD is not the only FPS out there, and there isn't licencing problems with a competitor releasing a similar game.

Most concerns i hear are legitimate issues with the game. Just because a game get's overwhelmingly negatively reviewed doesn't mean it's getting "review bombed".

Review bombing is when people leave negative reviews that don't have anything to do with the game itself. For example because of spite or general hatred towards the publisher or dev studio.

If a game is just bad and receives bad reviews, then it's just a bad game. Period.

"If it looks like shit and smells like shit then it's probably shit." - idk who was the first to say it

The last Call of Duty game i've played was the original Black Ops 2. Everything they've done since then wasn't interesting imo. 

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

The last Call of Duty game i've played was the original Black Ops 2

blops 3 was interesting, and I would argue it has the best zombies