New CPU, New name, New confusion. Intel Core 7 150U (Non-Ultra) and more

filpo

Summary

Intel's naming scheme has changed from 14000 to 100 to welcome the new meteor lake CPUs. Rumoured specs are also seen for the H and Raptor Lake U cpu(s)

CORE-7-150U-768x503.png

image.png.687066c692e1c7ad0518a9e518c0bca2.png

Quotes

What this means is we now have three CPU lineup for Intel’s new laptops:

• Core 100 Ultra (eg. Core 9 185H) – Meteor Lake-H/U
  • Core 100 non-Ultra (eg. Core 7 150U) – Raptor Lake-U Refresh
  • 14th Gen Core-HX (eg. Core i9-14900HX) – Raptor Lake-HX Refresh

The part that was just confirmed is the Core 7 150U with 10 cores and 12 threads, which means 2 P-Cores and 8 E-Cores. Such configuration is used by three parts: i5-1345U, 1335U and 1334U. The “Bepco” benchmark does not confirm clocks, so it is unclear which part was rebranded.

The non-Ultra parts will be using Raptor Lake dies, so it would technically be a refresh of the 13th Gen Core series. Apart from the Intel China post, the company did not mention Raptor Lake-U Refresh yet. However, it is likely that these CPUs will join Ultra parts on their December 14th launch.

If the name is not sufficiently evident that it is indeed a Raptor Lake CPU, it is worth noting the DDR4 memory clock of 3200 MT/s. Moreover, in contrast to Meteor Lake CPUs that feature the new Arc (Xe-LPG) GPU series, Raptor Lake relies on Iris Xe graphics (Xe-LP).

My thoughts

The specs for these new chips don't look ground-breaking but it'd be interesting to see how Intel's ARC iGPUs will perform considering the increasing driver support as well as Intel releasing loads of drivers such as the one earlier today with 750% performance uplift in Halo: The Master Chief Collection and more

Sources

Intel's new Core 7 150U non-Ultra CPU adds Ultra confusion - VideoCardz.com

Intel Meteor Lake & Raptor Lake Refresh Laptop CPUs Leak: Core Ultra 9 185H, Ultra 7 155H, Core Ultra 5 135H (wccftech.com)

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Its great what they are doing but that 750% is honestly quite misleading because it's just the old halo 1 as they finally made dx9 run good.

Completely agree, however it's good that they've got their GPUs to perform well in DX9 games

Also Halo: The Master Chief Collection is DX11

image.png.9189f18c58c50b4a80d07e3f444743f8.png

Also improvements in Returnal 

image.png.51d9e93da5bbbf5b84bc7abc4dc141a4.png

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

1 minute ago, filpo said:

Completely agree, however it's good that they've got their GPUs to perform well in DX9 games

Also Halo: The Master Chief Collection is DX11

image.png.9189f18c58c50b4a80d07e3f444743f8.png

Also improvements in Returnal 

image.png.51d9e93da5bbbf5b84bc7abc4dc141a4.png

The old ones are dx9 running through dx11

Well if all these parts are DDR5-only, then at least it would make it easier to tell what generation they belong to (the DDR3/4 break was Skylake 6th gen)

Though, what the crap. What are these numbers even representing.

missed opportunity for wiiU chips! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Honestly this name makes it feel really really low end 😛

yup insta no buy from me ~ 

(i already got a intel i5"U" ...  it sucks!) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 minutes ago, Ydfhlx said:

Core 7 suggests it has 7 cores. Kind of misleading if you ask me.

Yeah was also reading into that.

Also makes it seem that a core ultra 7 has like 7 fast cores or something.

18 hours ago, Ydfhlx said:

Core 7 suggests it has 7 cores. Kind of misleading if you ask me.

Don't forget the horrible grammatical and orthographic mistake. I fixed it for Intel:

"Cores: 7"

25 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Of for f's sake stop this BS about making confusing naming schemes.......

its really not.

We just making jokes

This makes perfect sense!

The ULTRA 164U is a lower wattage chip than the non-ultra 155U. Higher number, lower performance. Perfect!

Also can't wait for some Core Ultra 3 to come along and somehow beat a Core 7, cause fuck logic.

This will be even more fun once we get K series chips to come in next year.

And how are they going to name their chipsets? I will have terrible nightmares tonight...

On 11/3/2023 at 6:54 AM, filpo said:

Intel releasing loads of drivers such as the one earlier today with 750% performance uplift in Halo: The Master Chief Collection and more

Last I remember, when you usually see this kind of stuff. Its because the performance uplift is more like 10fps -> 75fps. Which is still 750% sure but much less impressive.

✨FNIGE✨

I'll let the reviews bite it first before making any decisions.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 11/5/2023 at 4:02 AM, Fnige said:

Last I remember, when you usually see this kind of stuff. Its because the performance uplift is more like 10fps -> 75fps. Which is still 750% sure but much less impressive.

Third place is still last place I guess.

It's funny to see triple digit improvement, but that's just because the scale is that skewed in the first place. Basically what Intel is saying here is "we finally support DirectX without relying on some failsafe fallback"

There is no reason why 10fps should even be considered a good score. If the iGPU can not run a benchmark at 30fps, it should just be declared DNF (Did Not Finish) and the entire thing should be considered a "Do not purchase for this reason"

At any rate, the iGPU's on Intel chips have always been a colossal joke, and now with Apple basically spanking them on the power budget and GPU, you have to wonder why they keep trying when Apple is just going to embarrass them if AMD doesn't.  If nVidia was making x86-64 CPU's they would also likely be making Intel look bad.

I'm not saying Intel shouldn't be making iGPU's, what I'm saying is they seem to be forever not getting their priorities straight about what that iGPU should be capable of.  If it's supposed to be a H/HX part, than why does it even have iGPU? As soon as someone has to unplug their laptop from the wall, the dGPU part has to be shut down cause otherwise they're only going to have a 30 minute battery life. Yet that iGPU isn't remotely better in any meaningful way on battery. In a desktop, or even a workstation/server you could make the argument that even a crappy iGPU is better than no GPU, since it gives you something to boot/fallback from if the dGPU might be suspect. But Intel really should be putting their eggs into the AV1/HEVC/AVC decoder/encoder to make that part of the CPU useful and not make -F parts that just turn the entire GPU off. If maybe the encoder/decoder could be separated off so that a computer can use it without needing to use the rest of the iGPU that would be nice. 

I have the iGPU enabled on my 11700K, I usually run video on a web browser window on that monitor, but I can tell you straight up, that I'm know for sure that the dGPU is still being used because the dGPU's video decoder is still running, and not the iGPU's. There doesn't appear to be a direct way to tell the OS to use the iGPU's video decoder if it's free, without telling it that ALL instances of that application to use it. eg I'd have to tell firefox to use the iGPU only if I wanted to use it at all.  What I want is "use iGPU while on this monitor to avoid memory copy penalty"

The dedicated Intel Arc parts are interesting primarily because they are filling a neglected market segment, but the iGPU parts, have, never, *EVER* been good, and you were always better off with a nvidia x50 part than the iGPU in desktops or laptops than to use the iGPU when the computer was plugged into the wall. A lot of that having to do with how the iGPU isn't provisioned with video memory and just wastes system memory when it's turned on but not used. Here is a dGPU x50 with a dedicated 4GB, but no, let's use the crappy iGPU that behaves like it has only 64MB (yes megabytes) of video memory.