YT Premium prices just went up, nearly doubling!

Just got an email from YT letting me know the cost of my YT Premium subscription is increasing.  I opened it, expecting a few bucks a month, which is fine, but was whacked with something a little more extreme.

It's gone from $AUD17.99 to....wait for it...$AUD32.99!  That's a $AUD15 increase!  WTAF?

That's obscene.

First you get rid of the competition, then you jack up the price because no one has any choice now. Ad blockers are/were the competition.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I love YTP, and considered it the best value streaming service there is, and would have been happy with an increase more in line with realistic expectations, but to go from $18 to $33!  That's outrageous and the value is now questionable.

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

show them it's too high by canceling

I understand the concept of capitalism.  They can charge whatever the market is willing to bear, however there are still expectations, and even legislation, governing increasing prices for goods and services.  I'm still deciding if the service is worth $32pm.  If not, then I will cancel.

37 minutes ago, Cowboy1600 said:

I love YTP, and considered it the best value streaming service

to each their own, but overall its really low quality.

quantity over quality,  questionable "search" algorithms, to outright censorship. 

its the only option we have (outside few alternatives like bilibili) but its far from "good" imho.

40 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Ad blockers are/were the competition.

Still works for me, wonder if this is regional differences or something. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Wonder how many people will cancel and just go back to pirating... If you're gonna shoot yourself in the foot, may as well be with a big ass gun I suppose.

2 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Wonder how many people will cancel and just go back to pirating... If you're gonna shoot yourself in the foot, may as well be with a big ass gun I suppose.

The issue is they will continue to block ad blockers. While some might find a way to get thru YouTube's detection for some time, Youtube will find out and figure out how to block them again. It will go round and round. I feel like most people wont go thru the BS. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I'll believe it when I see it. Supposedly my $9.99 grandfathered in Youtube Red price will be going to $13.99 soon which is.. whatever. Doubling? If that was true there would be news stories about it. 

Article from July:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/20/23801390/youtube-premium-music-price-increase

18 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I'll believe it when I see it. Supposedly my $9.99 grandfathered in Youtube Red price will be going to $13.99 soon which is.. whatever. Doubling? If that was true there would be news stories about it. 

Article from July:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/20/23801390/youtube-premium-music-price-increase

ohh ... you're smart, wish we could tag members... (lol)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

30 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The issue is they will continue to block ad blockers. While some might find a way to get thru YouTube's detection for some time, Youtube will find out and figure out how to block them again. It will go round and round. I feel like most people wont go thru the BS. 

For now, if you log out it works fine. Or you can also go into private/incognito mode and it works the same. Either way, it will piss off enough people for someone to find another work around. I've said it before on another thread, it's a game of cat and mouse. And until there's a good alternative, Tom and Jerry are gonna be fighting every day.

I also think enough of the general populace are starting get overwhelmed by all the ads and subscriptions. I feel like a lot of those people may research into it just enough to do something about it for themselves. If that's the case one of two things could happen. One, the ads and subs get knocked back a few pegs. Or two, they just don't care and keep trying to drown us. I fear it's the latter however. (just my late night inebriated thoughts)

50 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Or two, they just don't care and keep trying to drown us. I fear it's the latter however.

Thats what all the companies are trying to do. I for one aint playing this game. I'll go without or I'll get the media thru alternatve means. 

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Article from July:

Lot of people verifying this in australia.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

10 minutes ago, Arika said:

Lot of people verifying this in australia.

Seems some are confusing individual with family accounts in that thread. $9.99AUD to $16.99AUD someone is reporting for individual. 

Either way I just confirmed I’m still at $9.99 USD. 

The last company to basically double my bill got told to get bent (in the most polite way possible for a pissed off Aussie). I know I’ll go back to suffering the headaches of trying to block the ads rather than pay this BS. 

Thankfully I’m a valuable member so I’ve got 3 months for the door to hit me on the way out. The YT algorithm will be going ape over Pihole and Adblock how to vids the next few months. 

Glad I’ve got FP, I think I’d rather take my $18 in Australian rubles and support some creators directly. I’ll suffer through the lack of other content and knowledge if I must. 

IMG_0616.jpeg

IMG_0617.png

Aurora | Built April '22
CPU: Intel i7 11700K | RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200 | GPU: NVidia GTX 1080 Founders Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB), Corsair MP400 (1TB) | PSU: Corsair RM1000

Moonlight | Built March '17
CPU: Intel i7 6900K | RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 | GPU: NVidia GTX 750Ti Storage: Intel 600P (512GB), WD Red (4TB) | PSU: Corsair AX860 | Cooling: Corsair H105 | Setup post >here<|

I just got an email saying I'm getting my first YT Premium membership price increase from $17.99 to $32.99 per month. That's an 83% increase WTF?!

Screenshot_20231102-133814.png

Screenshot_20231102-133807~2.png

Well, then cancel it and f#ck YouTube. They only learn if they lose money, that's the only language they speak. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

It's the same for the individual plan, going from A$11.99 to A$16.99

I use the features like playback on my locked phone and ad free mobile app playback on my commute to work every day. I also use yt music a lot, but I've already been considering going back to spotify for a while now so that's no big deal.
Is the yt vanced app still kicking around? Maybe it's time to cancel the sub and make the switch.

Typical corporate speak.

"Thank you for being such a loyal customer! Let's celebrate by helping ourselves to more of your money. 50% more should just be enough."

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

This is good! price increase gives you a legal chance to get out immediately.  congrats!  🙂

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

This is good! price increase gives you a legal chance to get out immediately.  congrats!  🙂

You can get out whenever anyway, I don't think they even offer lock-in contracts.

1 minute ago, Evilor said:

You can get out whenever anyway, I don't think they even offer lock-in contracts.

ah, sorry i didn't finish my sentence. 

i meant to say.

This is good! price increase gives you a legal chance to get out immediately and go to the competition,  congrats! 

😉

(translation: yt has a full monopoly and needs to be split up therefore) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 hours ago, mudflapman said:

The last company to basically double my bill got told to get bent (in the most polite way possible for a pissed off Aussie). I know I’ll go back to suffering the headaches of trying to block the ads rather than pay this BS. 

Thankfully I’m a valuable member so I’ve got 3 months for the door to hit me on the way out. The YT algorithm will be going ape over Pihole and Adblock how to vids the next few months. 

Glad I’ve got FP, I think I’d rather take my $18 in Australian rubles and support some creators directly. I’ll suffer through the lack of other content and knowledge if I must. 

IMG_0616.jpeg

IMG_0617.png

Youtube.thumb.PNG.f7023157ff2a7b799df3c1564e335228.PNG

For some context here is what they charge in the US.

10 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

The problem is what do you pirate that makes up for youtube? 

I pay for all the major streaming services, Netflix, Prime, HBO, Discovery + (for the wife, I swear). I even still have cable just for occasional fluff.

But for the last 3-4 years I find I watch Youtube more than any of them by a wide margin. But it's all educational type stuff. PBS Spacetime, Technology Connections, Fermilab, etc. upwards of 4 hours a night sometimes I'll watch youtube.

It really is irreplaceable to me. Obviously I don't expect the service to carry the same value for everybody. But I don't bat an eye at the $20+ I spend for my family plan personally, it's one of the best values for me. But damn if I wouldn't be disappointed if it went to $40+. 

Because of what I just said though, I'd probably still pay it. I also use the music service. It allowed me to cancel Spotify premium. I did slightly prefer Spotify, but it just made sense. Had to save that money for all my other streaming services lol. (I don't actually consider the music service a reason to subscribe at all, just a handy fringe benefit).